Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Cask Conditioned F&M Stonehammer Dark

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Cask Conditioned F&M Stonehammer Dark

Post by midlife crisis »

For those of you who are into ratebeer (I am not), I came across something at Volo on Saturday afternoon that I had never had, or seen, previously - cask conditioned F&M Stonehammer Dark Ale. Don't know if this is new or if it is old news to ratebeerians. Anyway, it was pleasantly malty, and more-ish. This style isn't my personal favourite, but it was well balanced and a nice pint. I always love to try something new on cask.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Rate Beer doesn't have seperate entries for cask conditioned versions of beers that are also available in regular kegs/bottles. We generally just mention in the tasting notes if we are rating a cask version.

I'd still be interested to try this, though. I had the regular version for the first time at the C'est What festival the other night and didn't care for it, so I'm curious to see if the cask conditioning would improve my opinion.

borderline_alcoholic

Post by borderline_alcoholic »

For those with an interest (and I see no reason why this merely applies to rate beer fanatics), Volo also currently have cask conditioned Headstrong Pale Ale on sale, which I think is very unlikely to have been available anywhere else in Ontario before.

The F&M Dark has been on for a number of days now, so if you do want to try it, you should probably move very quickly indeed (by which I mean try it tomorrow or likely miss it entirely).

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

midlife crisis wrote:For those of you who are into ratebeer (I am not), I came across something at Volo on Saturday afternoon that I had never had, or seen, previously - cask conditioned F&M Stonehammer Dark Ale. Don't know if this is new or if it is old news to ratebeerians. Anyway, it was pleasantly malty, and more-ish. This style isn't my personal favourite, but it was well balanced and a nice pint. I always love to try something new on cask.
Ratebeerians in general I don't know, but Hamiltonians have had this beer on cask for many, many years now, at least as far back as 1999.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Have you really? I know the Maclean's Pale has been around, cask conditioned, for many years, but I had never even heard of Stonehammer Dark Ale (as opposed to Stonehammer Pilsner) until about six months ago, let alone cask conditioned. Wish I had known! I presume the outlet has been the Judge.