Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What are the best sleeper Micros we've got here?

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

What are the best sleeper Micros we've got here?

Post by Belgian »

Setting aside hard-to-get imports for a minute to stock of what's right here, undiscovered and really great... what do you think? What are OUR great beers?

My votes,

Wellington (Guelph)
Iron Duke Strong Ale and especially the Imperial Russian Stout. Great ales!

Church Key (Near Napanee)
Stg Major's India Pale Ale. Enjoyable hoppy madness.

(I'd say Unibroue too except they're well known here -- just completely taken for granted in terms of quality for the price, I think.)
In Beerum Veritas

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

Belgian wrote:
Church Key (Near Napanee)
Stg Major's India Pale Ale. Enjoyable hoppy madness.
Church Key is actually in Campleford, Ontario. Scotch Irish (which is based near Napanee) contracts brews Sgt. Major's there. Scotch Irish is, of course, run by our very own Perry Mason (PRMason).

And, yes Sgt. Major's is one of our really great beers.

My other votes go to:

Denison's Weissebier
Mill Street Tankhouse Pale Ale
Scotch Irish Corporal Punishment

Cheers,

Joe.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

As far as the best that Ontario has to offer, I'd pretty much agree with Joey's list.

But I also think that Ontario has several underrated pale lagers/pilsners (styles that tend to be underrated in general, really). King Pilsner and Neustadt Springs Lager are both quite good, and I must admit that I had a pint of Steam Whistle last week and found it vastly improved since the last time I tried it around 2 years ago.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Joey, you're right, Campbellford (sp?) is the brewing location.

(Is PRMason not an importer as well? Explains the tasty IPA.)

I work 1.5 km from the Distillery so I've been waiting to try all the Mill Street beers right there, on tap!

And yes, I will try Steam Whistle again if you say it's 'growing up' in taste, Greg. The Neustadt and King I will watch out for too, when I'm in lager mode which sometimes happens.
In Beerum Veritas

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

Scotch Irish is based out of Fitzroy Harbour, I think.

I cast my vote for Session Ale from Scotch Irish, dry hopped of course.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Setting aside hard-to-get imports for a minute to stock of what's right here, undiscovered and really great... what do you think? What are OUR great beers?
If Denisons ever bottles that will be half my problems with drinking great beerat my cottage solved.

Is Michael a "sleeper" brewery??

Dunno?

But having good dunkle and heffe at home is a dream for the future. :lol:
Aventinus rules!

borderline_alcoholic

Post by borderline_alcoholic »

I would also add Black Oak Nutcracker and Denison's Dunkel to the list.

borderline_alcoholic

Post by borderline_alcoholic »

Oh, and when it was done as a cask conditioned beer, the Church Key Holy Smoke was a very fine ale indeed.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Cask conditioned Macleans Pale Ale, cask conditioned Durham XXX, cask conditioned Scotch-Irish Dogsbody are all terrific when found in excellent condition. King Pilsner is very good, IMO. Black Oak's Saison was outstanding, I thought, and I second the view re Nutcracker. Finally, one I've only had once and wish was available in the GTA (not sure I'd rate it as outstanding but would like to try again) is Heritage Lager.

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

I would also include the following as pretty good beer:
1) Hockley Valley Dark
2) King Premium Pilsner
3) Magnotta IPA (good value for the dollar).
Lagerale

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

lagerale wrote:I would also include the following as pretty good beer:
1) Hockley Valley Dark
2) King Premium Pilsner
3) Magnotta IPA (good value for the dollar).
Glad you mentioned the Magnotta IPA (Altbier too) and the Hockley...all well put together beers and under appreciated.
Aventinus rules!