Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Wellington beers in general

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Wellington beers in general

Post by Belgian »

I know there's a consensus on RateBeer for beers in the Wellington line, but I ask you as Ontarian BarTowellers:

Which of Wellington's beers are most worth trying, in your opinion?
In Beerum Veritas

Gunny

Post by Gunny »

I intermittently enjoy Iron Duke and Imperial Stout (always from the Brewery). They are the first Ontario Craft Beers that I cut my teeth on and they continue to hold a place in my "beer drinking" heart. Likewise, the first Real Ale that I tried was Wellington's County Ale followed closely by Best Bitter. I don't believe a Brewer such as Wellington can be easily discounted as they have broken the trail for many an Ontario Micro.

Jeff

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

1. Imperial Stout
2. Iron Duke
3. cask Arkell, but it's really variable, I find

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

1. Imperial Stout

2> Headstrong ale ( contract brewed)
Aventinus rules!

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

1) Imperial Stout
2) Arkell Best Bitter
3) County (dark) Ale - had it on tap and was pleasantly surprised

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Imperial Stout
Iron Duke
Special Pale Ale tied with contract brewed Headstrong
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Steel, I did try the SPA at the Bookshelf in Guelph on Saturday, from draught, and while it was fine it reminded me more than a little of Creemore lager, just pretty okay. I don't trust taps always.

The Headstrong they are making IS fantastic, really solid and only inadvertently a great value as well (a bomber=2 beers, for under 3 bucks.)

The Arkell BB I tried on bottle was amazingly nondescript to me, and sparked this thread in the first place. I associate "best bitter" with "complex, balanced flavor."
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Belgian wrote:Steel, I did try the SPA at the Bookshelf in Guelph on Saturday, from draught, and while it was fine it reminded me more than a little of Creemore lager, just pretty okay. I don't trust taps always.
"
Yes it is along the lines as Creemore on tap, but I really enjoy the SPA in bottles. And while I enjoy all Welly beers for sure, I find that lately the Arkell is almost too nutty and has a metallic taste, while every time I buy the SPA, it is always consistent.

just my two cents! :)
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Well then I'll get a sixer of the SPA next time. (I want to tour the brewery soon.) Thanks Steel.

It's SO hard not to just keep buying their dark beers - which pack a big malty flavor wallop for about the same price. They have really nailed some complex beers which at the same time are relatively approachable. No mean feat I am sure! :D
In Beerum Veritas

cirrosis

Post by cirrosis »

the best Wellington is the old school Wellies, the 1 litre plastic non- carbonated REAL ALES. they were forced to give in to the man and go generic bottles many days ago, and i cannot forgive them for it. in other words the county ale went from superior to good.
if you need me i'll be in the fifth circle of hell

Duct Tape

Post by Duct Tape »

midlife crisis wrote:1. Imperial Stout
2. Iron Duke
3. cask Arkell, but it's really variable, I find
Cask Arkell is good when its good, but every now and then i have one when i see it and its not good at all.

As for the Arkell BB, its nice if i want something for at a party thats not a lager or pilsner or belgian, but its not the best interpretation of the style out there, but its not bad and is generally readily available at Beer Stores in my experience.

Later

DT
"If the Women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
-------
Please visit www.OHLPhotos.com & http://www.flickr.com/photos/55976115@N00/

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

The imperial stout is definitely their best brew, but I like the County and Arkell every now and then. I do find that they can be of variable quality depending on the establishment though.

HogTownHarry

Post by HogTownHarry »

I second (third?) that the Imperial is their best brew - especially on tap! - and while the Iron Duke is a good beer, I've had it 4-5 times at bars and it seems to really vary in taste - I don't think it's all down to freshness either.

But the Imperial has been solid every time I've had one (or more than one!)

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I have found the bottled dark ales and stouts quite reliable, without much variability.

A good rec for anybody new to craft beer.
In Beerum Veritas

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I think their stout falls between the Imperial and foreign/export stout. Either way, it doesn't have enough head for stout. That said, it is very tasty, and has a nice fruityness that a lot of American Imperials are lacking.

I do really like their Brit-brews... the yeast produces a pleasant fruityness, without being overbearing.

The County Ale is a phenominal session brew.

Headstrong is great! Certainly more 'American' than their other stuff.