Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Fischer from France

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Colin @ Canada

Fischer from France

Post by Colin @ Canada »

This is a new beer coming out to the beer store next week and I tried one the other night and found it quite simple and refreshing. It is a pale ale style from Alsace in France and adopted the "swingtop bottle format" and is served in a 650ml size. Give it a try.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

If it's Fischer Tradition you're referring to, my experience wasn't quite the same. Ratebeer call the Tradition a Pale Lager though, so perhaps it's a different beer. The Tradition just arrived here in Halifax at the NSLC, 6% abv, 650 ml swingtop with a yellow label. I didn't find it to be anything more than a lifeless grainy and cidery French lager.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

From what I've been told, the Fischer Tradition lager is indeed the beer being introduced at The Beer Store next week.

Another fairly recent addition to the Beer Store line-up is Stiegl Pils. I picked up a can yesterday and will likely try it with dinner tonight.

I also noticed that Ruddles County Ale, a fairly well-reviewed UK bitter, is available at TBS in a 4-pack of cans. Not sure if this is a new arrival or not, but my local store says that it was just added to thier stocklist recently and they don't yet have it in stock. I'm looking forward to trying it.

And I'm sure that everyone will be happy to know the Fruli strawberry beer will be available at TBS soon.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

My recollection is that both Ruddles County Ale and Ruddles Best Bitter were former LCBO regulars in 500 ml. cans. They were delisted, I believe, about two, three (?) years ago. Nice to see the County back. I liked the Best Bitter as a lower alcohol (it was somewhere around 3.5%) alternative for Super Bowl/Grey Cup parties or similar where I expected to down multiple pints. It was a bit thin, but acceptable, I thought. The County is at or close to 5%, I believe.

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

GregClow wrote:And I'm sure that everyone will be happy to know the Fruli strawberry beer will be available at TBS soon.
I object to the use of the term "beer" in that sentence. :)

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Well, I had the Stiegl last night, and found it to be a palatable but unexciting pils. The flavour is well-balanced, but could use more hops in the finish, and I found the body to be a little heavier than I generally like in the style.

It's not a bad beer, and I encourage anyone who enjoys the style to try it, but I won't be making any special trips to the Beer Store for it.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Wheatsheaf wrote:
GregClow wrote:And I'm sure that everyone will be happy to know the Fruli strawberry beer will be available at TBS soon.
I object to the use of the term "beer" in that sentence. :)
Hey, I like that stuff which is kind of surprising considering I don't like eating strawberries. Very sweet. I usually dump two of those little bottles into one beer glass. Yum, yum.
lister