Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Stonehammer Pilsner

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Stonehammer Pilsner

Post by midlife crisis »

I bought a sixer of the re-formulated Stonehammer Pilsner and I'm favourably impressed. I'd say it's as good as King Pilsner and better than Steamwhistle, even taking into account that Steamwhistle is much improved. Lager isn't my first love, but this is good. Have others tried the new Stonehammer?

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

I also noticed the improvement in Steam Whistle. I tried Stone Hammer Pilsner about two years ago and thought it was just OK. Although it's one of the few micros always available at my local Beer Store I never bought it again. In what way is the "re-formulated" version different from the original? Thanks.

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

midlife crisis wrote:I bought a sixer of the re-formulated Stonehammer Pilsner and I'm favourably impressed. I'd say it's as good as King Pilsner and better than Steamwhistle, even taking into account that Steamwhistle is much improved. Lager isn't my first love, but this is good. Have others tried the new Stonehammer?
What reformulation is this? It used to be a pretty good pilsner, circa 1999/2000, but as of late 2003 was total crap. They've gone back to the original recipe, or done a new one that is good? I'm curious to know. It's rare that when a beer is dumbed down it gets smartened back up again. That would be really cool.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I met Rob Creighton at the cask Harvest Pale Ale launch at the Bow last month. I'm pretty sure he told me they had done something to tweak Stonehammer, though to be honest I can't say I remember for sure exactly what it was. Rather than guessing, perhaps Rob could let us know?

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Hi Folks - The Stone Hammer Pilsner is still 100% German Pilsner malt and 100% Saaz hops. It is also fermented with a German lager strain from Weinstephan.

The change Charles has made is to replace the strike water in the mash tun with R.O. water (approx. 25% of the brew water). Guelph water is very hard (450 ppm+) which makes it great for ales. Unfortunetly, it puts the water spec. way outside the realm of a pilsner styled beer. By substituting in the R.O. water, the colour dropped 2 full points, the hop aroma and flavour has skyrocketed and the earthy background flavour (we call it the Creemore effect) has disappeared.

The potential controversy comes from the source of R.O. water we chose. We contacted Saverin Springs as a local supplier and have since discovered the water is from the famous Formosa Springs source in Formosa. It is the actual historic free flowing well at the opposite end of town from the Brick Brewery.

Does this mean we can say 'brewed with Formosa Spring water'? I'm sure we'll here from Jims lawyers if we do. Cheers!

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

Rob, the current spec sounds great, I look forward to trying this soon.

Gary

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Rob Creighton wrote:and the earthy background flavour (we call it the Creemore effect) has disappeared.
Wow, that's funny - Wellinton's SPA tasted really Creemore-ish to me and had that hard water obviously.... do you know if Niagara Falls Brewing Co. have hard water too, it's got a different earthy quality in the Gritstone, Millstone...

Not something I would seek. Cheers Rob. And I too will try your tweaked Whistle once again.
In Beerum Veritas

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Belgian wrote:Wellinton's SPA tasted really Creemore-ish to me and had that hard water obviously.... do you know if Niagara Falls Brewing Co. have hard water too, it's got a different earthy quality in the Gritstone, Millstone...
No idea on the Niagara Falls water but a buddy of mine controls how much (from 0 to 100%) goes over the falls at a Hydro diversion station so I'll ask him. Keep in mind that it's lake water at this point.

Ales, including ours, Wellington (which is 1/2 block from us) and Sleeman, all benefit from the Guelph hard water. Maybe the Old Milwaukee suffers a bit from the water but what the hey.

Keep in mind that Creemore has filled the great tweener beer role. In tastings, most people identify it as an ale and like it for the mild characteristics. They spurn lagers at this point and lean to the ale (dark) side.

The hard water has a profound effect on beer flavour. It always has and yet it is the most ignored beer ingrediant in the US micro's. To them, it's all about 1) the hops and 2) the malt. Creemore would be a very mild amber lager without the water. Hell, it's a mild ale/lager as it is.

A great bit of brewery lore has the brewer from Connors going to Niagara Falls BC when Connors closed and instantly the Niagara Falls PA was introduced tasting exactly like the old Connors Best Bitter. I still drink it on tap when available. I believe in brewery lore. Remember that small Ontario brewers are run by people and not by corporations. And more the better.

Cheers! -Rob-

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

I bought a six-pack tonight at Summerhill, where by the way Geddy Lee was just ahead of me in line at the cash, he had a clerk help him bring a case of something out - I was awestruck but didn't get it together to say hi.

The beer is great: rich flavour with an interesting prolonged aftertaste that seems somehow not malty or hoppy - it seems "metallic" in a good way, this beer would be great with the choucroute (sauerkraut) dishes Jacob Richler's been writing about in the Post or with strong cheese or frankly anything.

Excellent effort and much better than the Stonehammer Pilsener of two years ago, plus it doesn't taste like any other beer I know (import or local). I suspect it may be in the Bremen (North German) pils style, it seems neither like a Czech pils nor a soft Bayern one, I'd peg it as a Northern dry pilsener. Anyway it's very good, prosit to Messrs. Maclean and Creighton.

Gary

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Is the stuff in bottles in the stores now made with the softer water Rob?

Maybe I'll pick up a pony keg at the brewery if it pans out...I'm a lager lover and malt head. If this is better than the average spineless watery pilsners around here I want in on it...summer is pilsner season!!
Last edited by pootz on Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aventinus rules!

Gunny

Post by Gunny »

pootz wrote:Is the stuff in bottles in the stores now made with the softer warer Rob?

Maybe I'll pick up a pony keg at the brewery if it pans out...I'm a lager lover and malt head. If this is better than the average spineless watery pilsners around here I want in on it...summer is pilsner season!!
At the very least, pick a six of bottles up from the Brewery. The Brewer's margins are much better when purchased from the Brewery. I grabbed six Pils and a dozen Pale Ale this afternoon from the Brewery. I'm currently enjoying the Pils and noticing nuances that I didn't with my last purchase. Anyone else pick up on the "honey/heather" finish? :P

Jeff

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

I just finished my first newly retooled Stone Hammer bought fresh from the brewery ( thanks for the chat and the fresh beer Matt). All I can say is the change is phenomenal. To be honest I really didn't care at all for Stone Hammer the first time I tasted it last year. This is now a very excellent rendition of the German pilsner style with a frothy well retained cap, great fragrant nose ( Malty/herbal/fruity) and a wonderful malty spine and citrusy finish. If not one of the best possibly THE better craft Pilsner in Ontario. Like all the better Pilsners this tasted better when served about 45degF

I detected a few more changes than just the softer water, I think there are better more traditional hops ( Saaz and German varieties) than before and possibly a tad more malt. The overall character of the beer is now a very complimentary blend of tastes and very drinkable.

BTW: where's the light fruity/cider taste come from?? Yeast?

I have to get out to RB and BA and rewrite my previous Stone Hammer ratings. I think I found a new standard Pilsner.

Bravo Rob. Ontario can use every good craft lager it can get.
Aventinus rules!

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

I've looked for this at two beer stores in recent weeks including one that used to always stock Stone Hammer and no sign of it. :(

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Stone hammer has a western doppelganger called Maddhatter Mercury by Yukon brewing......same earthy fruity tones but a tad sweeter. Seems the northern folk have discovered tastey pilsners.
Aventinus rules!

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

They finally got it in at my Beer Store. I'm enjoying the first of the six pack right now. It's going down a treat :D I'm thinking it's better than it was when I last tried it a couple of years ago. Of course, back then I was a newbie to good beer so it's possible my tastebuds have changed in the two years or so since I stopped drinking macros. Either way a thumbs up from me.