Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

new at The Beer Store

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Belgian wrote:I haven't bought it for years, wasn't it made in Guelph before? I WAS light but very good.
Yes, it used to be brewed at F&M. In fact, it is still listed at http://www.fmbrewery.com/our_beers.htm (aside to Rob - you might want to tell the F&M folks that their website needs a major overhaul!)
Belgian wrote:I just read it's made in Brampton by Cool, which I've heard are 'wack,' to apply the modern urban vernacular.
Yeah, it does seem an odd pairing, although apparently Cool does contract brewing for at least one other decent Ontario micro.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Belgian: Although St. Andre is a fair, all natural lager, it is not very representative of the traditional Vienna style. It is too light in malt color and profile and far too "spritzy"..... A Vienna should be a reddish copper, medium to full bodied , malty with light caramel sweetness, slightly spicy and with attenuated herbal ( Nobel) hop bittering. It's a subtle but flavorful and satisfying beer...characters which make it unique.

Belle Gueule Rousse is a close commercial representation but I don't belive RJ distributes it in Ontario.

There are not too many traditional Viennas in bottled distribution here. There is Dos Equis, which is truer to Vienna profile but a tad bland and light bodied, then there is Walkerville amber which has the correct malt profile and color but is a tad lacking in the spicy yeast and herbal ( Noble?) hops.

The best Vienna, true to style, I've tasted recently is Great Lakes Elliot Ness....and in the distant past there was Sam Adams Vienna and Rogue Artisan.

I'm always on the look out for a good Vienna as many local brewers will call it "amber" or "red" lager and I have had some good Viennas at brew pubs that were misnamed like this. Gordon Biersch made one before they tanked and Kelly at the Heuther house made it once in a one off batch....again, calling it a "red lager".

If you hear of or taste any "amber" or "red lagers" that approximate a Vienna e-mail me I'll drive a day to taste one.
Aventinus rules!

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

Pootz is that Northern Edelbrau really good? I have never tried it. I tried Northern's Ale a few years ago and thought it was just an average industrial ale, so I've been passing on the other Northern offerings. The package for Edelbrau always seemed kind of bland to me, not that you can always tell quality by a package, but it never struck me as try to suggest a premium taste. Certainly I'll pick some up if it is a "diamond in the rough". I do plan to try DAB in the bottle soon, I don't like the green bottle but am willing to give it a try. But it is such a shame so many of the Germanic canned beers available here taste so dull (I can't figure out why since Urquel shows it is possible to have a quality helles-type beer in the can).

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

old faithful wrote:Pootz is that Northern Edelbrau really good? I have never tried it. I tried Northern's Ale a few years ago and thought it was just an average industrial ale, so I've been passing on the other Northern offerings. The package for Edelbrau always seemed kind of bland to me, not that you can always tell quality by a package, but it never struck me as try to suggest a premium taste. Certainly I'll pick some up if it is a "diamond in the rough". I do plan to try DAB in the bottle soon, I don't like the green bottle but am willing to give it a try. But it is such a shame so many of the Germanic canned beers available here taste so dull (I can't figure out why since Urquel shows it is possible to have a quality helles-type beer in the can).
Personally, I wouldn't say the Edelbrau is really good, but it's not bad for a macro. It's got a pleasantly sweet malt note, but it's not really enough to be a helles. Worth checking out, but don't expect greatness.

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

I'll check it out.

Tried Walkerville Lager rceently, not the Premium Blonde, the regular one. A decent beer but not as good as Creemore, in my view. It has a fresh fermentation taste, liek the sharp yeasty smell that comes off a tank of fermenting beer; so far so good. But the malt and hop background seems a little ordinary to me. Guess I should have tried the Premium Blonde. I couldn't tell from the package of the latter if it is a white beer (Belgian-type) or a premium lager beer.

Gary

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

old faithful wrote:Pootz is that Northern Edelbrau really good? I have never tried it. I tried Northern's Ale a few years ago and thought it was just an average industrial ale, so I've been passing on the other Northern offerings. The package for Edelbrau always seemed kind of bland to me, not that you can always tell quality by a package, but it never struck me as try to suggest a premium taste. Certainly I'll pick some up if it is a "diamond in the rough". I do plan to try DAB in the bottle soon, I don't like the green bottle but am willing to give it a try. But it is such a shame so many of the Germanic canned beers available here taste so dull (I can't figure out why since Urquel shows it is possible to have a quality helles-type beer in the can).
Northern Edelbrau is a port in a storm if you're a helles/Dortmunder/German lager/malt fancier. It is a fair attempt at a Dortmunder/hells by a Canadian brewer but is a tad thin in malt delivery and the distinct light citrus kiss in the finish that is a true Helles IMHO. All the same it is one of the few all malt, German accented lagers brewed here. Northern makes it in small batches at one location so it is available in 6s only...I buy it when there is nothing else around because I think it will do in a pinch when imports are not handy....besides, I like the woodsy, earthy taste from the hop/yeast mix and it has a distinct sweet malt character.

I recently bought some Northern red maple and was very pleased with it...it wasn't exactly a micro beer but it was full of flavor with a great hop/malt balance and the maple does not over power the drinker's tastebuds.....I'd buy more, and if you haven't tried it I'd recommend you seek it out for a taste.

As for DAB...the offering we get here is a German pilsner with good malt spine....and it's good for such a large brewer and an import to boot....but it is the DAB "export" that is their Dortmunder, and I haven't seen that around in years.

If you're a lager hound, I suggest you find some Stiegl. This is a golden Salzburg styled lager with some good malt profile and attenuated herbal hops...I buy a case or two when I see it at the Beer store.

As for the German canned lagers, at the LCBO, I think there are some pretty fair/good ones like Konig, Wernesguner, Kostritzer but I agree the LCBO has a knack for picking bland lagers to import.
Last edited by pootz on Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aventinus rules!

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

old faithful wrote:I'll check it out.

Tried Walkerville Lager rceently, not the Premium Blonde, the regular one. A decent beer but not as good as Creemore, in my view. It has a fresh fermentation taste, liek the sharp yeasty smell that comes off a tank of fermenting beer; so far so good. But the malt and hop background seems a little ordinary to me. Guess I should have tried the Premium Blonde. I couldn't tell from the package of the latter if it is a white beer (Belgian-type) or a premium lager beer.

Gary
Nothing is in Creemore's class...they are out there by their own...a malty Munich style, all malt lager with Saaz pilsner hops and the sharp tang hard water gives it...the falvors just meshed and the beer works....don't expect to find much that tastes like Creemore.

The Walkerville lager is a pretty fair amber lager IMHO but you certainly enjoy it more from a fresh, brewery filled growler or on tap...but it is NOT a Vienna...it has some shared character but that's all. Walkerville Blonde is not a wit it's a pale pilsner....and a fairly ordinary one at that...but it is all malt which is a bonus these days.
Aventinus rules!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Someone said Creemore was made with Slovak (not Czech) malts, does that make any sense? The Saaz hops makes sense, as used in Urquell.

PS got to spend a week in Munich last year and crap, man, what a city to name a lager style after. In Bavaria they say there are those who live in Munich, and those who WANT to live in Munich.

Plus, Andechser "am Faß!"
In Beerum Veritas

burgermeister

Post by burgermeister »

Belgian wrote:Someone said Creemore was made with Slovak (not Czech) malts, does that make any sense? The Saaz hops makes sense, as used in Urquell.

Plus, Andechser "am Faß!"
I'm guessing the Hops don't much care if there on the Czech or Slovak side of the border - especially as they were one country not all that long ago. They are probably the same thing.

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

[quote="GregClow"]
Yes, it used to be brewed at F&M. In fact, it is still listed at http://www.fmbrewery.com/our_beers.htm (aside to Rob - you might want to tell the F&M folks that their website needs a major overhaul!)

Yup, it ain't good is it?
We are about to launch a new site but we left the old one up by merely ignoring it. I suppose the long term effect of this decision will not be good but its too late now. Too many issues on the plate. Hopefully soon.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

burgermeister wrote:
Belgian wrote:Someone said Creemore was made with Slovak (not Czech) malts, does that make any sense? The Saaz hops makes sense, as used in Urquell.
I'm guessing the Hops don't much care if there on the Czech or Slovak side of the border - especially as they were one country not all that long ago. They are probably the same thing.
I was talking 'malts' from Slovakia, not hops, but that's okay.

As far as Slovakia & Czech Republic always being practically the same country and growing region, well both of those things are notably misinformed, I'm afraid. They were historically separate before a period of forced joining, and if you look at the topography (the Tatra mountains etc.) it's anything but one neat little peice of land. As far as brewing goes, that is significant for the evolution of the Pilsener style, with ideal water and hops in the Plzen region. If you look at wine, microclimates and terroir change everywhere, influencing how all things grow.
In Beerum Veritas

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

Tried the Northern Edelbrau on the weekend. When I asked for it at the beer store (near Jane and Dundas in Toronto), the clerk said it was the first one he'd sold this year! I joked that it must be pretty stale, but he quickly added that they "rotate" their old stock. Not sure where they rotate it to though!

As for the beer, I was pleasantly surprised. No award winner, but it was nice to enjoy them on Friday night, sitting in the backyard.

Overall, I have to say that this thread and this whole forum has piqued my interest into the various lager styles. Thanks for all the interesting discussion.

Cheers.

Publican House Brewery

Post by Publican House Brewery »

A few years ago - probably unchanged - Creemore went something like this:
North American two-row
Carastan malt
1% black malt

Sazz and two other continental hops- perhaps tettnanger and styrian goldings.

Spring water and copious amounts of phosporic acid to remove the temporary hardness. Hmmm, is it still spring water?

Lager yeast - rumour has it that the original culture came from Stroh's; not sure if they are still using it.

Creemore, a great brewery producing good beer from a simple recipe. Molson may mess it up if they opt for extended shelf life. I for one feel that the beer will improve with Molsons' QC touch; especially when they deal with the oxidation issue.

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

I tried the Stock Ale today. A good summer refresher but I thought it would have a bigger flavor and better-balanced taste. It reminds me of Sleeman Original Draft, I think it is going after that general market. Good natural beers, nothing wrong with them, but somehow I expected more.

Gary

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

lagerale wrote:Tried the Northern Edelbrau on the weekend. As for the beer, I was pleasantly surprised. No award winner, but it was nice to enjoy them on Friday night, sitting in the backyard.

Overall, I have to say that this thread and this whole forum has piqued my interest into the various lager styles. Thanks for all the interesting discussion.

Cheers.
I will get fire shot up my nether regions frome the Ale heads but IMHO Lagers ( and the vast diversity of germal beers both lager and ales) are where it's at.

Glad you liked it...wish it may have been a bet fresher...I get mine from a BS that stocks about 2 cases for me and will send it back after 3 months if I haven't bought it all. I keep six around all the time......when it's fresh, serve it at about 43-45 degF...it is a pleasing sweet malty beer.

I think Germany is the crucible of brewing excellence..from dunkles, alts heffes, to sweet helles, and luxurous viennas, German styles have the edge for me...but then I'm partial to malt biased brews and herbal type hops.....the ale heads like hops that bite, fruity/nutty yeasts and malty dark ales....and I do too...but my first love is the German styles and I go ape poop when I find a brewer that makes them in a traditional flavor profile.

Ain't nothin' wrong with loving lagers. :wink:
Aventinus rules!