Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Heads Up - Headstrong Pale

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Heads Up - Headstrong Pale

Post by Torontoblue »

Just been to the LCBO On St Clair West at the Loblaws. I was pleasantly surprised to see big bottles of Headstrong Pale on the shelves. $2.95 a bottle. Bargain. There were only 3 left, and I took 'em, but they are getting more in very soon. They also said they are getting Cameron's Dark 466(?) in in the next 2 weeks. I think it was the store manager, Laurie, who served me and he seems to know his beers; maybe it was him that has gotten the Liberty & Anchor Steam beers back in stock? I thank him!!!

Colin @ Canada

Post by Colin @ Canada »

I've seen the Camerons Dark at the Cooper St. Store. It is presented in 6 packs rather than the 9 packs Camerons usually package their beer in.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Wellington has managed to get the Headstrong into a lot of LCBO outlets. Good to see, as it's a great beer at a great price.

As for the Cameron's Dark - I read somewhere (probably a post here) that the LCBO and/or Beer Store informed them that they could no longer use the non-standard 9 packs for their products. The old ones have been grandfathered into the system, but all new Cameron's products must be packaged in the standard 6 pack.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Torontoblue wrote:JHeadstrong Pale on the shelves. $2.95 a bottle. Bargain.
The Wellington-made "Big Hole Headstrong" has been out a little while in Ontario, but since it is an extremely well made PA/APA (and a head-scratcher of a deal) this bears repeating as good news for locals.

(Basically 3 bucks for 2 beers' volume.) Hockley Dark is another great new single to grab and try out, it's very drinkable this time of year (you might need a few actually.)

Let's support fresh local micro beer!
In Beerum Veritas

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Agree with all that. If you're uptown, the Wilson/Dufferin LCBO has a very nice selection, including all those mentioned above, in a chilled room, which I haven't seen elsewhere.

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

GregClow wrote:Wellington has managed to get the Headstrong into a lot of LCBO outlets.
Nope, Wellington has nothing to do with the marketing or representation of Headstrong. They only make it and hand it over. Premier Brands has province wide reps and works hard to get their products out there - Fullers, Holsten, Hacker-Schorr and Warsteiner are theirs. The Headstrong is a product developed and produced at a brewery the owner, Jeff Dafoe, has in the plains states in the US and hence, the US hopping.

I'm sure he would prefer the credit for the product and sales effort goes to his guys. After all, nobody credits Miller for Boston Beer products despite the number of their plants that brew and pack it.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Headstrong is the best of both worlds, a locally-made micro with a bit of west-coast pale ale stylings (and we know few west coast micros will ever materialize here.)

Wellington may be just the 'hired guns' but I feel between the water they use in Guelph and their hand of expertise, Ontario-made Headstrong has our fingerprints all over it.
In Beerum Veritas

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

THE deal at the government dairy bar....luv it 8)
Aventinus rules!

BeerMonger

Post by BeerMonger »

Picked some of this up yesterday and tried it for the first time. This is one heck of a deal at $2.95. I went back today and cleared the last 10 bottles off the shelf. Well made strong beer aT $1.50 PER POP, you can't beat that.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Sounds like a good use of fridge space.
Last edited by Belgian on Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

"... I think it was the store manager, Laurie, who served me and he seems to know his beers; maybe it was him that has gotten the Liberty & Anchor Steam beers back in stock? I thank him!!!

Just a quick note to you upon your visit to the St. Clair West LCBO. If it was Laurie you were speaking to about beer, she is the manager, but she is a woman not a man. As for who is responsible for the beer at that store, it is a gent named Basil who does know his beers and loves to bring in new brands and suppost the micros.

Cheers!

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Shiner wrote:Just a quick note to you upon your visit to the St. Clair West LCBO. If it was Laurie you were speaking to about beer, she is the manager, but she is a woman not a man. As for who is responsible for the beer at that store, it is a gent named Basil who does know his beers and loves to bring in new brands and suppost the micros.
Cheers!
I'm useless with names! Anyway, it's definitely a guy and he has a grey beard and wears glasses, and for the life of me I still can't remember his name :-?

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

Ahh yes, his name is Ted. He is the assistant mgr.