Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Summer Release!

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

GregClow wrote:I saw the following at the Parkdale (Queen & Brock) LCBO today:

Erdinger Weissbier
Schofferhofer Hefeweizen
Floris Honey
Rogue Half-e-Weizen
Christoffel Blond
Edelweiss Hefetrueb Weissbier
These 6 are also on the shelves at the Atrium location, with empty spots next to them for the other 4.

borderline_alcoholic

Post by borderline_alcoholic »

inertiaboy wrote:I'm referring to the standard wine and spirits Vintages release that is coming up this weekend (I think). Vintages is not selling beer, at least not that I am aware of.
Than you for clarifying that. Totally off topic, but do you happen to know where I can find out which wines and spirits are included within that release?

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

esprit wrote:Move quick on the Saison Dupont as I'm buying 75 cases right off the top and that's 1/4 of the entire order.
Peter,

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding... but isn't the Saison Dupont an Esprit product? If so, why do you have to buy yours off the top of the LCBO order - unless it's for personal use? :-)

-Josh

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

borderline_alcoholic wrote:
inertiaboy wrote:I'm referring to the standard wine and spirits Vintages release that is coming up this weekend (I think). Vintages is not selling beer, at least not that I am aware of.
Than you for clarifying that. Totally off topic, but do you happen to know where I can find out which wines and spirits are included within that release?
http://www.vintages.com

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

Totally off topic, but do you happen to know where I can find out which wines and spirits are included within that release?
It is available on the main page of the Vintages website: http://www.vintages.com/

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

inertiaboy wrote:
Totally off topic, but do you happen to know where I can find out which wines and spirits are included within that release?
It is available on the main page of the Vintages website: http://www.vintages.com/
Ha! I win!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

esprit wrote:Move quick on the Saison Dupont as I'm buying 75 cases right off the top and that's 1/4 of the entire order.
I've noticed some stores are getting tiny inventories of released products, 24 or less. Very odd system.

Where will I be able to get a case of the Saison without depriving the whole neighborhood?
In Beerum Veritas

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Belgian wrote:I've noticed some stores are getting tiny inventories of released products, 24 or less. Very odd system.
It's usually (but not always) related to the size of the store.

The Parkdale location is a smaller store, and generally only gets one or two cases of each seasonal beer, although they often restock those that sell out quickly.

Meanwhile, at the Atrium store today, I saw several cases of most of the new beers stacked in the corner.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

Where will I be able to get a case of the Saison without depriving the whole neighborhood?
Based on Peter's note, there are 225 cases for the 600 LCBO stores. If you play your cards right, you may be able to deprive a whole town. :D

I've always found that Queen's Quay and Bayview Village are well stocked. I haven't frequented Summerhill enough to know how much of the seasonals they get.

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

inertiaboy wrote:
Based on Peter's note, there are 225 cases for the 600 LCBO stores. If you play your cards right, you may be able to deprive a whole town. :D

I've always found that Queen's Quay and Bayview Village are well stocked. I haven't frequented Summerhill enough to know how much of the seasonals they get.
Hmmm... constant complaints from Peter that we don't buy enough of the seasonals - and now he's trying to fix it so it's hard to find any?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

detritus wrote:
inertiaboy wrote:
Based on Peter's note, there are 225 cases for the 600 LCBO stores.
Hmmm... constant complaints from Peter that we don't buy enough of the seasonals
Supply and demand must agree with respect to each item. The 20 or so members reading BarTowel won't make much difference, will it?

However I have no trouble splurging for a case of Saison, one of Christoffel and perhaps the Rogue. Saves me months of beer shopping. 8)
Last edited by Belgian on Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Erdinger Weissbier
Schofferhofer Hefeweizen
Floris Honey
Rogue Half-e-Weizen
Christoffel Blond
Edelweiss Hefetrueb Weissbier

The Downsview LCBO has the above already. The Davisville LCBO has the Weiss beers. No Fruili yet.

I picked up one of each, except for the Blond, and a whole whack of the Honey. :D
lister

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Generally, most stores that are part of the program should be getting two cases of each product but I am seeing instances where it seems they are only getting one.
detritus, Saison Dupont is one of our products and I'm not buying for myself but rather for a number of our bar/restaurant clients. We save them the trouble of running around to multiple stores acquiring stock by having the LCBO ship to my local store (Dundas W. & Jane).

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

esprit wrote:Generally, most stores that are part of the program should be getting two cases of each product but I am seeing instances where it seems they are only getting one.
detritus, Saison Dupont is one of our products and I'm not buying for myself but rather for a number of our bar/restaurant clients. We save them the trouble of running around to multiple stores acquiring stock by having the LCBO ship to my local store (Dundas W. & Jane).
I see. So are those 75 cases part of what the LCBO originally intended for consumers? Or did you tack 75 cases on to the original order?

Essentially, does this mean there'll be less Dupont in the system for us consumers than the LCBO originally intended?

-Josh

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

detritus wrote:I see. So are those 75 cases part of what the LCBO originally intended for consumers? Or did you tack 75 cases on to the original order?

Essentially, does this mean there'll be less Dupont in the system for us consumers than the LCBO originally intended?

-Josh
If I may leap here in Josh, we all know the LCBO system ain't great, and it's every man for himself. So you and I might as well be glad at least we're not deprived in the Toronto area, be there 225 or 300 cases for all 600 Ontario stores (which, as Peter seems to imply, is a puny amount either way - no doubt he would intend to bring in more as he's the Saison guy!)

Having these Seasonal Releases at all may be more from political obligations than an interest in selling Ontarians good products.
In Beerum Veritas