Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Agassiz Brewing

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Josh Oakes

Agassiz Brewing

Post by Josh Oakes »

You know the ones, from Winnipeg. Except that in Ontario it's all made by Northern. However, I thought I read or heard somewhere (maybe not here) that all of their production was made in the Soo these days, that they don't have a brewery in Winnipeg now.

Does anybody recall that, or have any information?

Thanks,
Josh

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

A quick Google search uncovered the following undated article on the Manitoba Business Information Service website:

---

Agassiz putting its hopes in its Soo-brewed products

A report from the Winnipeg Free Press stated:

Ontario-brewed, Agassiz Brewing Co.'s beer will hit Manitoba liquor-store and vendor shelves this week. Agassiz Brewing Co. was recently been resurrected as New Manitoba Brewing. Late last year, Agassiz Brewing Co. was forced to shut its doors and sell its brewing equipment following a cash crunch resulting from low sales and high overhead costs. Shortly after, New Manitoba Brewing purchased Agassiz's brands and recipes and signed an agreement to outsource the production of its beers to Northern Breweries Inc. in Sault Ste. Marie.

---

In addition, their entry at beerme.com lists them as a "Beer Marketing Company" and "Formerly a microbrewery", with Northern listed as their brewer. The listing was last updated in February, 2004.

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

You fancy computer geeks and your quick Google searches. Thanks, Greg!

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

My understanding is that only Catfish has/will be available in Ontario.
Aventinus rules!