Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Mill Street Oktoberfest

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Mill Street Oktoberfest

Post by midlife crisis »

Had this on tap at Beer Bistro last night. Beer Bistro has a nice selection of beers for Oktoberfest. I quite liked the Mill Street interpretation of a marzen. Pretty hoppy, but loaded with flavour. Blew the Hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest out of the water, for me at least. I presume that this is another seasonal from Mill Street that will be draught only?

Colin @ Canada

Post by Colin @ Canada »

Had this at the Mill Street October fest last week. Found it quite good. They were serving sausages and potatoe salad as well as live music with october fest dancers and all. Very good time.

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

FYI - I checked with Mill St. and the Oktoberfest is Draught only, no bottles... :(

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

I also had this at Beer Bistro and this is one of the best Ontario draught beers I've had in a long long time. Too bad there are no plans to bottle this golden harvest nectar.

The Hacker dunkel weisse was pretty good as well!
Lagerale

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I tried it at the Distillery 4 weeks ago and, well, I'll have to try it again...

The Coffee Porter there knocked me out though, and the Belgian Wit was almost very good too - the finish wasn't quite so integrated but I was majorly surprised. I had a full pint of it and of the Organic - pretty good also, I still am partial to the Tankhouse.

An excellent, promising brewery.
In Beerum Veritas

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

Definitely try it again! For me, it had a great balance that tipped from a nice malt start to a clean hop finish. I like the other Mill St. offerings, especially the Tankhouse, but as the cold weather has decended, I've been buying more malty lagers and bocks.

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

Mill Street Oktoberfest rocked my world when it came out two years ago. Wish I could get more now.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

but as the cold weather has decended, I've been buying more malty lagers and bocks.
The Mill Street Helles Bock seasonal was very good last year as well. Here's hoping they might bottle that again this year. My impression, though, is that in conjunction with the move to their new bottles, they have also moved to draught only for their seasonals (Wit, Oktoberfest, Bock, Barley Wine - are there any others?). Hope I'm wrong about that though.

Thursday

Post by Thursday »

midlife crisis wrote:The Mill Street Helles Bock seasonal was very good last year as well. Here's hoping they might bottle that again this year.
No kidding. I really enjoyed the Mill Street Bock. Here's hoping!
Beer - the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Too bad Mill Street won't bottle this excellent seasonal for consuption outside the GTA pubs. Of all the German beers ( which I have a driving affinity for) Oktoberfest/marzen is the richest. The fates should provide us at least one source where we can sample this malty-herbal beer yearly. One of the most lamentable failings of Ontario's real beer advocacy camp to get good beers on the broader public radar screen outside the GTA is the fact that Canada's premier Oktoberfest city (K-W) has no authentic Oktoberfest beer produced here or available here. No demand for traditional German Marzen in Canada's largest ethnic German center and Oktoberfest city...something's amiss.

You want to celebrate a traditional Oktoberfest , you have to leave K-W to get traditional Oktoberfest marzen beer. This year, some frends and I celebrated with some freshly harvested wild pheasant with mushrooms and a six of Alley Kat ein Prosit Oktoberfest.....needless to say, the food and drink came from places nowhere near K-W :wink:
Aventinus rules!