Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Great Divide - Hercules Double IPA

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JWalter

Great Divide - Hercules Double IPA

Post by JWalter »

http://www.greatdivide.com/thebeers/hercules.htm

I picked up a bottle of this from Premier a few months ago and polished it off last weekend, WHOA!

85 IBU's
9.1% Alcohol

I am absolutely AMAZED at how well Double IPA's -- or Imperial or whatever you want to call them -- can hide the alcohol... The original gravity must be so high, there is little so much STUFF in there, malt and hops I mean that it's so flavorful, you'd NEVER imagine it was so high in alcohol... Anyhow, an AMAZING beer... Certainly not the sort of thing you'd drink all night long, but a truly impressive brew! I'll be picking up some more of this next time I'm at Premier, probably trying their TITAN IPA for something a little tamer! :)
Bored Silly? Check out my blog... http://geeksjournal.blogspot.com

HogTownHarry

Post by HogTownHarry »

I have one word for you (if you want to be amazed at hidden alcohol/IBUs)

DREADNAUGHT

One of the most amazing IPAs I've had - it's classified as a double IPA but it just can' be one - and it's soooooooo smooth.

I'm getting 3 bombers of it this weekend from a VERY good friend back from Chicago - I may have one bronzed. :wink:

(Greg and I split a Dreadnaught, and had the Hercules the same night - big mistake; as nice as the Herc is, the Dreadnaught's in a class of its own)

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The more Ontarians get wind of terrific cross-border products, the more we can build a voice to demand that which we may knowledgeably speak of.

It would be great to organize specific BT tasting events just for this purpose - say gathering 20 or so new IPAs not available here, that everyone could try & then petition the LCBO citing their favorites via e-mail.
In Beerum Veritas

Manul

Post by Manul »

This was my favorite beer on tap when I was in down in Boston. It was always between this and 90min. If i'm not mistaken it's also on Volo's beer list.

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

Dreadnaught = Cough Syrup. Sorry :)

HogTownHarry

Post by HogTownHarry »

I'd deliberately get a cold every other week all year round if I could find cough syrup that tasted like that.

To each his own, I guess.

Out of curiosity, just what would be a great IPA, IYHO?

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

Admittedly, Imperial IPA is not a favorite beer style of mine. I like Smuttynose Big A probably the best (and matches my User ID also!) Its very well balanced IMO. Stone Ruination is good too.

90 min DFH does nothing for me either. Its just too .... much!

The Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti is a phenomenal beer, BTW. (Imperial Stout).

HogTownHarry

Post by HogTownHarry »

A wrote:The Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti is a phenomenal beer, BTW. (Imperial Stout).
In my top 10 all-time - I have a bottle set aside for a special ocassion - and am trying to order another 6 of them.

And if you don't like the DFH 90, don't ever try the 120: that's a beer not for the faint of heart. I loved it, though.

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

Tried it .. didnt like it. WorldWide Stout was another waste of time also. :)

HogTownHarry

Post by HogTownHarry »

And of course - stop me if you saw this coming - the WWS is vitually tied with the Oak Yeti in my all-time list. Phenomenal experience drinking that - I took half an hour the last time I had one and ran out of flavours to describe.

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

I stopped after 'burnt engine grease' :)

Gunny

Post by Gunny »

A wrote:I stopped after 'burnt engine grease' :)
You can pick out 'burnt engine grease'? Are you registered with the MOE? :wink:

Steve-E

Post by Steve-E »

I quite like the Herc myself, as well as the DFH 60, 90 & 120.

Not long till the LCBO has the 60min. I can't wait.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The 60min IPA will be a revolutionary experience for Ontarians who cannot yet access the über-fine Sgt Majors IPA from Scotch Irish Brewing.

Can't wait myself!
In Beerum Veritas

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Belgian wrote:The 60min IPA will be a revolutionary experience for Ontarians who cannot yet access the über-fine Sgt Majors IPA from Scotch Irish Brewing.
Assuming they like IPAs...
lister