Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Aventinus

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Steve Spong

Aventinus

Post by Steve Spong »

Even though I've had the Aventinus many times and always loved it, it's never been one of those beers that immediately leaps to mind as a must-have when stopping by the LCBO to grab some good beers. Yet yesterday I grabbed a bottle and had it last night and my god, it was incredible. It's really a shame that it isn't as universally heralded as beers like London Porter and the like, as it is truly one of the LCBO's forgotten gems. We should continue to grab it when possible, otherwise it will be discontinued like many of the LCBO's other hidden gems.
"All right, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me - so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer."

HogTownHarry

Post by HogTownHarry »

Too many get taken for granted - this one, the Chimay Premiere (red), the Sinha (Lion) Stout - heck, not even enough love for the St Ambroise Oatmeal Stout, although it was mentioned once or twice. I'll even stump for the Wells Bombardier.

Steve Spong

Post by Steve Spong »

The Bombardier is one that I always enjoy but sometimes gets lost in the shuffle, much like the Bishop's Finger. I really cut my teeth on British beers, so I have a great affinity for them but because they're proportionally expensive, I tend not to buy them. I am a student, after all. I should just consider myself lucky not to be drinking the cheapest draught at the Brunny.
"All right, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me - so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer."

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

Aventinus is wonderful! :D

I think my experience is similar to yours. It was one that I tried a few times in the past and thought "mmmm delicious" but that for some reason it wasn't a beer I could regularly have in the fridge. Perhaps because it's an 8%?

But over the past couple of months, I have generally been trying to keep a couple of bottles in the fridge for those special occasions - like finishing a day's work. :) It's a beer I know I absolutely adore - so why not drink it regularly? Besides, I rarely can find anything similar on tap. (I was a big fan of Trafalgar Belgian Wheat at C'est What when they had it...)

But I do think Aventinus does get respect. It's in the 99th percentile at ratebeer.com!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Good notes threre, the sterling items at LC get taken for granted because, well, they're always there... Just imagine, we'd be going nuts for them if we never saw the amazing Schneider Aventinus Weizenbock or exquisite Chimay Premiére at LC, and then they materialized for a short seasonal release...

A deep, complex, rich and satisfying brew, Aventinus. It should be $1-2 more expensive for what you get, but like the amazing Weltenburger Asam Bock, it is an incredible sleeper value compared to Abbey Belgians or the Brit imports mentioned.

(Bombardier and Bishops don't fly my kite, but the Fullers stuff, whoah!)

Tell me what those pricey-ass Rogue beers have that these German beers lack!! (besides ooh-la-la caché.) I feel the better German products suffer from the image created by the many boring Deutsche-Lagers so popular everywhere, plus a lack of better-beer awareness to counter this lopsided view. The Munich environs alone are a beer lover's paradise and worth a week's visit.
Last edited by Belgian on Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Along those lines, Paulaner Salvator.

Freaked out first time I saw it on LCBO shelves. Just one of those beers you take for granted your so used to seeing them on the shelves. Would be a shame to lose it.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

The Aventinus and Salvator are GREAT winter brews. I certainly support them! :D

Black Sheep Ale is one I should probably stock up on more often. It's a highly rated English Pale Ale, and at 4.4% it's quite quaffable. Definitely one of the LCBO's better offerings!

I've had a fair number of Chimay's... but the cost is a bit of a factor. This is actually the one that pushed me into homebrewing! (My avatar is actually my first swing at it... though I used styrian goldings and a little peat smoked malt for some added depth).

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

I think I'm one of the few that prefers Schneider Weisse to Aventinus. However, there is certainly a point to be made about taking Aventinus for granted. I noticed that 2 of the stores I used to buy cases of Schneider Weisse at, no longer carry it since I started buying it from a different store. I immediately panicked and thought it might be delisted (I think one of the store staff suggested as much), but thankfully that doesn't seem to be the case.

Maybe I'll make a habit of picking up 6 Aventinus every time I pick up a case of the Hefe. It would be a shame to see it go.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I also prefer the schnider weisse!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

DAN-D-MAN

Post by DAN-D-MAN »

I regularly have Aventinus in my fridge along with Salvator and Schlenkerla of course, mostly in the winter. In summer, I regularly carry the Schneider Weisse and Paulaner Wheat and Schlenkerla of course.

So... I'm doing my part!
8)

Steve Spong

Post by Steve Spong »

You know, I can understand where people like the Schlenkerla, but I for one cannot stand the stuff. I had it again recently just to check if I was missing something, and I realised that yes, it does taste like smoked ham hocks in a bottle, and no, I don't like that flavour. Maybe if I had it with ribs or something, but that'd be pushing it. Having said that, it's good that it's carried by the LCBO just for the breadth. Although it they took it off and replaced it with something like Burton Bridge Empire Ale, I wouldn't complain.

HogTownHarry

Post by HogTownHarry »

Last time I had one, it started to taste like raw steak halfway through. Of course, I'm *not* a vegetarian by any stretch, so I quite enjoyed that. But I do have trouble drinking all 500ml of one ...

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

I'm not a fan of the Schlenkerla either. Because of that I wasn't going to try the Church Key Holy Smoke. I think it was Dan that convinced me to give it a shot. Mmmm. Now that, I liked. I should have known better than to lump together a style of beer.

I might add that I may also have been a little hesitant even after Dan's recommendation, given his affinity for the Church Key Pepper Beer. :P

Steve Spong

Post by Steve Spong »

I have to admit that the Schlenkerla put me off Rauchbiers somewhat, although I've had some fine examples that I've enjoyed, like the Holy Smoke and the Stone Smoked Porter. I like some smokiness, just not beef jerky in a glass. In fact, the Schlenkerla is really the only one that I've really really disliked, but it's kind of set the tone for the style in my mind, however irrational though it may be.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

People tend to equate the definition of Smoked beers with Rauchbiers, which is a bit like refering to every type of pasta with the term spaghetti. People might know what you mean, but it's just not right! (or calling any beer a lager, which requires a specific processing technique).

For a true Rauchbier, all (100%) of the malt needs to be dried over an open beechwood fire. It is this specific method of malting the barley that distinguishes it from different styles. This technique has been used for centries!

ie. You can't use a small portion of peat-smoked malt in the grist & call it a Rauchbier. :wink: