Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Magnotta Altbier

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

biegaman
Bar Fly

Magnotta Altbier

Post by biegaman »

I recently tried this for a first time. Magnotta is a brewery I was alittle skeptical off, and a style Ive yet to be impressed by...but hot damn! I was very, very surprised and pleased!

How do you guys feel? Is this anything special?

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Their Wunderweisse on tap is pretty nice and a good substitute if Denison's isn't available. The bottled version I like far less.
lister

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I like Wunder Weisse and would be ham dappy to try it on draught, in fact I'd take it any day over Hacker-Pschorr or Erdinger.

The Altbier intrigues me, we havent had any 'Alt" (=german for Old, indicates it is an ale which pre-dates the now popular bottom-fermented lager in Germany) for some time. Pinkus Müller was the last import we saw. Really nice one.
In Beerum Veritas

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Can't comment on the altbier, but agree with lister, the Wunder Weisse is fantastic on draught. Believe I had it at Beer Bistro last year if not mistaken. Bottle version was sub-par though. Looking forward to warmer weather and more wheat / session beers!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Yes, the bottled Wunder Weiss struck me as a tad light in the the body and overall flavor, as if it were a little too carefully managed for bottling. It's still extremely pleasant in the same way as a nice Mild Brown can be, more delicate, tasty.

Paulaner is still my favorite bottled (6x355) Hefeweizen, the balance and flavor is simply great for an easy to find Beer Store item.
In Beerum Veritas

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

I had this at C'est not too long ago. Magnotta is a decent local brewery (Vaughan, eh?), far I can tell.

I enjoyed the Alt, mostly because it's a rare style in these parts. I gave it a 3.3 on RateBeer, my main complaint being the heavy mineral flavours in the finish.