Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Brahma

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Beer Geek wrote:I would have to agree with Mississauga Matt on this one. Think back 10 years ago when Labatt’s brought Kokanee from out west and started brewing it out of their London brewery, yet advertised that it was made with pure glacial water from the Rockies. Once Joe six pack realised they were being played, that beer took a dive. It was not until recently that they brought it back, and I believe it is truly made out west now (I still wouldn’t hold my breath that it’s made with pure glacial water from the rockies however).
All Kokanee sold in Canada came ( and still does) from the Creston brewery with the exception of a 4 month period where the Creston brewery expansion shut down production and Kokanee for the Ontario market was made in London.

Correct, it was a fatal mistake and labatt's competators used this slight of hand to create another long standing Canadian beer myth.

Most macro drinkers function in a fog of brewing mythology which is a hash of urban legend and corporate brewer ad spin......for a nation that defines itself by its beer and beer culture, the average Joe sixpack knows damn little about beer.

I've always maintained the biggest ( most important) PR job of the micro brewer is to educate the public rather than hawk beer....the education will do that
Aventinus rules!

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

If there's any papaya or even papaya flavouring, natural or artifical, in the stuff, a list of all ingredients is required on the bottle...there is no list of ingredients therefore I doubt there is any papaya in the beer.

jmcnally

Post by jmcnally »

I did buy 6 Negra Modelo a few weeks ago at the LCBO at Yonge and Eglinton. I was looking for Mill Street Tankhouse, though! I actually didn't like it much. It was fine cold, but as it warmed, it took on a not pleasant flavour that I can't actually describe.

And I've had it on tap in Texas and actually remember it being ok.