Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Heritage/Scotch Irish Sgt.Majors

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Heritage/Scotch Irish Sgt.Majors

Post by Jon Walker »

Just had my first pint of it at Volo this afternoon. Veeeeeerrry interesting!

The reason I don't often post my beer reviews on Ratebeer is because I generally lack all of those clever terms to describe the taste "Buttery on the tongue", "hint of Cloves", "like an angel tiptoeing on your tastebuds" etc...

Anyway;

On first taste there was a mild sweetness to it that I wasn't familiar with, and a slight woodiness (oaky?) that I'd never detected before. The bitterness seemed more subdued as a result of this new taste. I just couldn't put my finger on it...was it a different type of malt? More malt? Less hops?????

Maybe you can give it a try this weekend and let me know what you think.

John Aitken

Post by John Aitken »

This is the Heritage brewed version I assume?

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Yes, as stated in the thread title. I guess that didn't go without saying. :D

John Aitken

Post by John Aitken »

Sorry, I just didn't know if Heritage was already brewing it or if it was still in transition. I'm surprised that the taste would change so quickly, I would assume that they would keep the same recipe for a while until they tweaked it to their own taste, or figured out how to make it cheaper.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

According to Ralph the keg on now at Volo was brewed at Heritage. It certainly doesn't taste the same to me but I'm curious to hear the reviews of others.

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

Jon Walker wrote:On first taste there was a mild sweetness to it that I wasn't familiar with, and a slight woodiness (oaky?) that I'd never detected before. The bitterness seemed more subdued as a result of this new taste. I just couldn't put my finger on it...was it a different type of malt? More malt? Less hops?????
Ack! Please Perry, tell me there isn't less hops!!
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

The beer brewed at Heritage is brewed to the exact recipe as the original batch of Sgt. Major's- which was also brewed at Heritage some 4 years ago!
The beer is somewhat fuller bodied than recent batches. The IBU's are the same 68-70, but the beer is a little maltier to add some hint of balance. The colour is also back to its original tawny too.
"Every day above ground is a good one."

John Aitken

Post by John Aitken »

Mmmm Can't wait too try it, are their any new cases in the lcbo yet? If so what stores would have it.

I usually pick it up at Cedarbrae, Markham /lawrence
Last edited by John Aitken on Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RyanWright

Post by RyanWright »

Now that I see this post, I thought the pint of the Sargent Majors I had last night at BB might have been slightly different than usual. I wonder if the keg at BB is also the new batch brewed by Heritage? It was very good but I thought the colour was a little darker copper than usual. As well, the hop attack seemed slightly different. It was an excellent pint none the less.

Hamilton Brian

Post by Hamilton Brian »

Time for the LCBOs west of Burlington to start carrying this. I don't always want to have to go to the blinking adjudicator.

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

I had it in the Upper Gage & Fennell store for a while, but it didn't sell well enough to keep it.
I'll try Wanda again at Dundurn to see if she'll take it. If you go into that store, request a case. That sometimes gets the orders rolling

John Aitken

Post by John Aitken »

Perry, is there a way to distinguish between the previous taste and the "new taste" cases as I recently purchased a case bb dated July 13 06 and would like to get a "new taste" box to do a comparison.

Hamilton Brian

Post by Hamilton Brian »

PRMason wrote:I had it in the Upper Gage & Fennell store for a while, but it didn't sell well enough to keep it.
I'll try Wanda again at Dundurn to see if she'll take it. If you go into that store, request a case. That sometimes gets the orders rolling
Thanks Perry...will do.

Gunny

Post by Gunny »

Hamilton Brian wrote:
PRMason wrote:I had it in the Upper Gage & Fennell store for a while, but it didn't sell well enough to keep it.
Thanks Perry...will do.
I will talk to Wanda again. The last 6ers I picked up were from the Burlington LCBO at Millcroft and their BB was March 12th.

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

The last Church-Key batch was dated July 13. The new cases have the brew date on the bottle