Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Quelque Chose and Warming beers

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Quelque Chose and Warming beers

Post by El Pinguino »

Howdy folks,
Did a quick search (as in if you know of a link to this answer, let me know!) but came up with nothing on this.
I'm going camping this weekend, and the chilly weather has me thinking I should bring a bottle of Quelque Chose to warm up by the fire!

Anyone know of a relatively foolproof way to "warm" a 750ml bottle? I've never attempted this before, and don't want to ruin a bottle. Have no idea of how long, how hot, etc.

Thanks all!!

If anyone out there is a fan of warm beers, feel free to suggest other options.

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

I was wondering about this as well. Presumably one wouldn't want to get it too hot, lest the alcohol evaporate.

I've yet to try it, but I was thinking the best way would be to bring a pot of water to temperature (whatever you feel is appropriate) and submerge the bottle (opened, I think) in it until heated. Any better suggestions?

-Josh

clasher

Post by clasher »

I wouldn't open it until it's up to temperature... the bottle can take any increased pressure. I'd keep an eye on the water too, you don't want to cook your beer.

Beer Geek

Post by Beer Geek »

I would call Beerbistro during a less busy time of day and ask how they do it.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

clasher wrote:I wouldn't open it until it's up to temperature... the bottle can take any increased pressure. I'd keep an eye on the water too, you don't want to cook your beer.
The bottle may take the pressure, but the cork probably won't. At the very least, you'd be dealing with a very hot bottle and metal cage plus a cork that's very likely to blow on it's own the second the cage comes off, if not before.

The bottle used to come with directions, and I think they suggested much the same as what detritus described. Beerbistro used this method the one time I was there, except with an electric steamer or crockpot of some kind. 75 C is the recommended temperature I believe.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

I have a couple of pots that stack nicely (double boiler?). I put water in the bottom one and the QC in the top one. This gently heats the beer without exposing it to direct heat.

However, this may not be a great solution for a campfire.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Just a big regular pot, half full water, med-slow heat, bottle resting tilted on pot edge with the cork off.

Assuming a large bottle! Otherwise smaller pot.

Just want to heat it to a pleasant temperature, you're not cooking a chicken here so boiling is pointless. Won't take that long so keep a check on it.

I've heated Kriek and Sake often.
In Beerum Veritas

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I've used a microwave, as well as a wine "cooler & warmer" (it's a strange electronic device that cools/warms bottles).

Do you have an electrical hookup?

Is it really a 750 mL bottle?
(I didn't know the QC came that big)

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Good tips guys,
We'll see how it goes. I might take Beer Geek's tip about contacting BB, but just drop by tomorrow, as its close to work...instead of calling :D

The "pot in a pot" method sounds legit. I agree for safety reasons, that opening it before heating is likely the wise decision too. I've had mulled wine plenty of times before, but that always involves a big pot with about 10L of wine in it, and I'm not ready to let loose with that much beer over a campfire, ha ha.

Sorry, missed a post - the tilted on the side of the pot might work best camping.....no electrical hookups I'm afraid.

(and 500ml bottle not 750, ooops, I wish!)

Cheers!

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

Responsible Drinker wrote:Is it really a 750 mL bottle?
They used to be 750ml. I still have one from about 7 years ago in the basement. Might be a good weekend to get it out.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

inertiaboy wrote:They used to be 750ml. I still have one from about 7 years ago in the basement. Might be a good weekend to get it out.
Good luck with that - I had a bottle about that age that I opened a couple of months ago, and it had gone off. :cry:

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

GregClow wrote:
inertiaboy wrote:They used to be 750ml. I still have one from about 7 years ago in the basement. Might be a good weekend to get it out.
Good luck with that - I had a bottle about that age that I opened a couple of months ago, and it had gone off. :cry:
Off bad, or off "Hey its a lambic now?"

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Responsible Drinker wrote: Is it really a 750 mL bottle?
It's a 500 ml but I tell the ladies it's a 750 ml. :wink:
The "pot in a pot" method sounds legit. I agree for safety reasons, that opening it before heating is likely the wise decision too.
You know it might be quite a nice surprise to leave the cork on, if you're enjoying it outdoors on Monday evening...

Reminds me of the time my friend and his brother put two cans of beer in a campfire (this was outside of 'fire season') and when they'd forgotten all about them, BAMM they EXPLODED and scattered burning fiery embers in a huge area around in the dark campsite. There was NO fire left in the pit, and these two were running around frantically in the night stamping out all the little coals.

It's a good story, although the wives resting in their tents nearby were NOT impressed.
In Beerum Veritas

Colin @ Canada

Post by Colin @ Canada »

This is how I heat QC . I always take the cap off or it will pop off in your face when it gets hot. Heat the bottle in near boiling water and after about 8-10min I sample a little to test the temperature and if it is not hot enough put back in the water and check every 2-3 mins. QC is awesome and amazing during hikes in the snow or cross country skiing in the woods. I used to buy a case every year for my home but they don't make it anymore. ENJOY!!!!!

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

El Pinguino wrote:Anyone know of a relatively foolproof way to "warm" a 750ml bottle? I've never attempted this before, and don't want to ruin a bottle. Have no idea of how long, how hot, etc.
Throw it in the fire. Wait about 2-3 minutes, use tongs to get it back out. Wait til you've had about a dozen beer before trying this, it works much better... Oh and you should have your pants down around your ankles too...
Bored Silly? Check out my blog... http://geeksjournal.blogspot.com