Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Belhaven Blueberry & Fullers Honey Dew

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Belhaven Blueberry & Fullers Honey Dew

Post by GregClow »

I got an advance taste of these two beers from the upcoming LCBO release, and I thought I'd share my tasting notes here. Look for them to hit the shelves around June 21st.

Belhaven Blueberry
I’m a sucker for blueberries, so while I don’t usually dig these light fruit beers, I was looking forward to trying this one. Pours a very light golden-yellow, which surprised me as I expected an amber colour similar to their regular fruit beer, but then I read the note on the back about the base beer being a "Pilsner style" and it made more sense. Nose is mainly blueberry, quite fresh, with a very subtle grassiness in the background. Body is a bit thin, but crisp and suitable for the flavour, which is mild and refreshing, with the expected blueberry notes and, well, not a lot else. I would’ve liked a bit more character in the base beer, but it works nicely as a simple warm weather refresher.

Fullers Honey Dew
Clear, bright honey-golden with a large white head. Mild, fresh aroma of honey, hay and earthy malt. Body is on the thin side, but it works OK for this beer. Flavour is simple but fresh and pleasant - biscuity malt, honey sweetness, and a subtly hopped finish. A fine warm weather beer.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Everyone likes to be the first RateBeer entry, ha ha.

I will definitely buy one of each, for amusement.
In Beerum Veritas

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

The Belhaven wasn't as bad as some people made it out to be, and I could actually see myself drinking (if not buying) it again.

However, I was really turned off by the Honey Dew. It has a pronounced wet dog smell, as I stressed in my RB review. Some people might just interpret it as "honey," but it killed the experience for me.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

with the expected blueberry notes and, well, not a lot else. I would’ve liked a bit more character in the base beer, but it works nicely as a simple warm weather refresher.
I'm waiting for OF to post a Bellhaven beer blending suggestion. Maybe Rogue Dead Guy to kick up the malt factor a little, while not stepping on the blueberry notes?
In Beerum Veritas

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

For what it is worth, I had these both at the cottage on the weekend. The Belhaven surprised me, it was a decent summer quencher with a nice non-artificial blueberry character (and I got lots of grapefruit as well), served nice and cold mind you. The Fullers was awful though, so much unbalanced honey sweetness that I dumped 400ml of it. I stuck with lots of bottles of the Christoffel Blonde and various Ontario micro's and was much happier...

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

While I didn't find the Honey Dew to be quite as bad as some of those above, I thought it was thoroughly mediocre. To me, the honey kills off the hops in the beer (or maybe there aren't many to begin with, but that would be unlike every other Fuller's product).

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

Tried the Belhaven Blueberry this weekend, and it was pretty much as expected, it's a nice summer beer, I found the blueberry flavor to be a wee bit artificial, and from the ingredients list you see that they have added 'flavoring', not actual fruit... I do have a bit of a soft spot for Belhaven as I've been fortunate enough to visit their brewery, one of my all time favorite brewery tours! Pulling my own pint of cask IPA.... Ah... Anyhow, yes, the Blueberry Beer, nothing to write home about, but for what it's meant to be, I think it more or less succeeds...

If you ever do get to Scotland and find Belhaven Best on tap, have a pint, it's got to be THE smoothest pint...
Bored Silly? Check out my blog... http://geeksjournal.blogspot.com

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

The Fullers was a great surprise a good malty mellow ale just begging for sessions, the Belhaven disappointed with the synthetic aroma and taste.
Aventinus rules!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I have tried the Bellhaven Blueberry, and while far from obnoxious the taste is not something I am partial to. It seems 'cheap' in flavor somehow.

Will try the Fullers Honey just because Pootz said the maltiness was good and, hey, how many choices do these seasonals really offer? :wink:

Keep those e-mails flying on to the LCBO requesting Belgian Trappists ect. this winter!
In Beerum Veritas

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Belgian wrote: Will try the Fullers Honey just because Pootz said the maltiness was good and, hey, how many choices do these seasonals really offer? :wink:
I think you won't be disappointed in the Fuller's...particularly the aroma.....it's very malt biased in a good way and the honey appears mostly in the aroma and just for a moment in the finish...overal it is the most drinkable ale Fullers make IMHO.
Keep those e-mails flying on to the LCBO requesting Belgian Trappists ect. this winter!
Be nice to see Alley kat old Deuteronomy here this winter...actually some seasonals from other Canadian micros would be ok by me rather than the more lame imports that make it in a revolving seasonal selection.
Aventinus rules!

BeerMonger

Post by BeerMonger »

I tried the Bellhaven over the weekend and did find it somewhat obnoxious...my palate does not object to many beers but it certainly did on this one.
I have another bottle that I will try, maybe the one I had did not travel well.
I found a distinct lack of blueberry taste...more of a "chemical" taste. Almost a drain pour to me.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I'll second the chemical taste. It took half a pint of fresh, wild blueberries to choke down that beer!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

While I try to be charitable, I admit I had to make the Bellhaven VERY cold to finish it off. The beer supporting the blueberry flavor seemed like a bit of an afterthought, bzzt, big mistake. I think a better beer under it would help - maybe some molasses or maple hints from the malts to support the berry (or maple extract, try a touch of maple syrup on your berries next time & see what I mean.)

Pootz is right about the Fullers Honey Dew, it's good. And all-organic, wow I didn't realize at the time but I'd support that too.... the basic taste is real beer with the honey just supporting it, the way it should be.

Because you can't dress up a pig.
In Beerum Veritas

BeerMonger

Post by BeerMonger »

I gotta ask...why were the last couple of posts on this thread removed? I responded to a poster's strong pan of the Bellhaven Beer...nothing on either post that was profane, libellous, etc. but they were removed.

Why o why?

Are we in the censorship business now? Please respond.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

BeerMonger wrote:I gotta ask...why were the last couple of posts on this thread removed? I responded to a poster's strong pan of the Bellhaven Beer...nothing on either post that was profane, libellous, etc. but they were removed.
No they weren't. They were in a different thread.