Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Sam Adams Triple Bock, circa 1996

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

jmcnally

Sam Adams Triple Bock, circa 1996

Post by jmcnally »

A friend of mine just gave me a bottle of Sam Adams Triple Bock that he'd been keeping in his cellar for about ten years. Since the beer is 17% alcohol, the aging shouldn't have hurt it. But does anyone have any suggestions for how to serve this? How chilled should it be? I'm a bit nervous by the info on the back of the label: "brewed with maple syrup"

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

Step 1: Chill to precisely 8 degrees C.
Step 2: Open bottle carefully and allow to sit for 30 minutes
Step 3: Pour bottle directly down the drain and thank your lucky stars you never had to taste Sam Adams Triple Bock :)

flip

Post by flip »

A wrote:Step 1: Chill to precisely 8 degrees C.
Step 2: Open bottle carefully and allow to sit for 30 minutes
Step 3: Pour bottle directly down the drain and thank your lucky stars you never had to taste Sam Adams Triple Bock :)
Where was this quote six months ago!?!?! It would have saved me some money and some taste buds. :(

This past February I had to go to Sweden for work. In Gothenburg I found that the local liquor monopoly (their version of LCBO) had the Triple Bock so I picked a few bottles to bring home. I decided I'd try one at the hotel. I can drink my way through almost any beer (interpret that as you may) but this was the biggest case of instant dump in my life. I couldn't make it past two sips.

Others may like it, but this is one of the few beers I actually despise. It's just not for me...

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Treat the Triple Bock like an aperitif/Red Wine. Serve it at room temperature. It is a very strongly flavoured beer, similar in vein to the DFH World Wide Stout and other extreme alcohol ales. If it is still in good condition then you will have wonderful chocolate, licqourice flavours coming through, and it coats the glass in a lovely chocolate sheen. If you don't want it then I'll gladly buy it from you the next time you're at Volo :D

jmcnally

Post by jmcnally »

Well, my friend gave it to me because he said he'd tried it and "not cared for it". I'm curious, but maybe I'll wait until a cool winter evening before opening it up.

Thanks for all your honest remarks!

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Dont throw it out, this thing is the BEST pork filet marinade you'll ever own.

Just be careful when pouring it on your pork that none of it touch your lips.

Cheers!

Hamilton Brian

Post by Hamilton Brian »

Heathens!

I concur with treating it warmly. It makes for a nice sipper on a chilly night; definitely don't mistreat it by chilling it for a summer day.

I wasn't the greatest fan of it, but I did think it unique and bought quite a few bottles of it during its run...95 to 97? I never had the patients to let it mature beyond the date of purchase.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

I've sampled a few bottles and it certainly ages well. It's a fantastic 'little' beer. I can't believe people ditch the stuff :(

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

From RateBeer:
...I really don’t know how to rate this, I can’t tell if I like this or not. Lots of soy, oak, and raisins in the taste, along with a boozy burn. Too much soy in the taste. Huge sweetness as well, as can be expected of an 18% ABV. Oily slick mouthfeel, full bodied, a tiny bit of carbonation....
I tried a little Masi Amarone yesterday that reminded me of soy sauce a little.

I don't think I will drink Amarone again! And the SA Triple Bock ratings sound like several confused people drinking a condiment & being told it's beer.
In Beerum Veritas

BeerMonger

Post by BeerMonger »

That Masi Amarone must have been off...I have never heard anyone describe it as "soy sauce". Try another one. (Happens to be a favourite of mine). If the second one tastes the same to you I'll (figuratively) eat my shirt. :lol:

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

BeerMonger wrote:That Masi Amarone must have been off...I have never heard anyone describe it as "soy sauce". Try another one. (Happens to be a favourite of mine). If the second one tastes the same to you I'll (figuratively) eat my shirt. :lol:
Okay, but don't 'eat shirt' on my account.

The inky soy notes were just one aspect of flavor. Italian wines can be very expressive of regional character so there's endless appealing 'character wine' options (unlike a lot of soft, fruity Australia and California wines I've tried - I just wonder why people bother with that weird flabby stuff!! Oh well to each his own.)
In Beerum Veritas

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

The first time I tried SATB, I didn't like it. I found it sickly sweet. The second time I tried it, I thought it was fantastic--rich and complex. The difference: the first was a relatively new bottle (three years-old), the second aged about 10 years. SATB seems to need at least six-years in the bottle. Now, seeing as the last bottling was about six-years ago (I think) you should be fine. Though, if you save it for a year or five, it probably will only improve.

Drink it at cellar temperature in a brandy snifter--and I wait for a cold, damp night. It's not really a bbq beer.

Joe.

skaghevn

Post by skaghevn »

joey_capps wrote:Drink it at cellar temperature in a brandy snifter--and I wait for a cold, damp night. It's not really a bbq beer.
Egged on by some sadly o'ercome by sangria, I poured a bottle of the '95 vintage, at cellar temperature, for the recent (and therefore sober) comers to my bbq. Kindest review matched my own opinion: rancid soy sauce.

habfour

Post by habfour »

I still have 3 bottles of the 95 reserve sitting around from the original release. Not sure how it has aged but would agree that it should be treated as an aperitif. Will try some soon and post result.