Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Great Lakes Devil's Pale Ale

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Great Lakes Devil's Pale Ale

Post by Tapsucker »

Just got back from the Toronto Beer Festival. I forgot what it was like to go to a frat-boy tailgate party... :roll:

Anyway, I tried the Great Lakes 666 (a few times in fact). Great beer. I vote for it to go into regular production, PLEASE!

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Tapsucker wrote:Just got back from the Toronto Beer Festival. I forgot what it was like to go to a frat-boy tailgate party... :roll:

Anyway, I tried the Great Lakes 666 (a few times in fact). Great beer. I vote for it to go into regular production, PLEASE!
Yes, this one interested me too....seems they are bulking up on the malt and hops in an attempt to challenge the DFH 60 market ....and the marketing ploy (666/mark of the beast AKA the devil) is carried into their process ( beer geek focus group?).....
The Devil Made Me Brew It!.... Brewed for 66.6 minutes.... with 666kg of malt and.... 6.6 kg of hops, at 6.6%
We shall see if this brew is the mark of the beast or the been kissed by an angel :lol:

I e-mailed them 2 days ago to find out when or where it will be available in bottles....no response so far...may call today.
Aventinus rules!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

pootz wrote: Yes, this one interested me too....seems they are bulking up on the malt and hops in an attempt to challenge the DFH 60 market
Well, I tried it yesterday as well, and I gotta say that I wasn't quite as impressed as the person who started this thread. It's certainly better than the rest of the Great Lakes line-up, and it's flavourful and well-balanced, but it seemed a little subdued to me, especially for a beer with '666' emblazened on the tap handle.

Still, it's good to see a brewery that has been coasting on their mainstream lagers for so many years trying something different. It's not a bad beer by any means - just a little less assertive than I expected. I preferred the Ste. Andre Great Eastern IPA.
pootz wrote:I e-mailed them 2 days ago to find out when or where it will be available in bottles....no response so far...may call today.
I wouldn't expect any response to emails to most local breweries any time this weekend, for obvious reasons... :wink:

Anyway, I asked about availability yesterday, and they said that they were too busy getting some of the first batch kegged and the promotional material done up for the festival, but they will be spending the next couple of weeks working on some draft accounts, and gauging the popularity once it's out there. If it does well enough on draught, bottles will likely follow.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

GregClow wrote: I preferred the Ste. Andre Great Eastern IPA.

Where is SA brewing this? Cool Beer brewery in Brampton?

Also, did you happen to hear if Trafalgar will be bottling any "Korruptor" for cellaring ?
Aventinus rules!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

pootz wrote:
GregClow wrote: I preferred the Ste. Andre Great Eastern IPA.

Where is SA brewing this? Cool Beer brewery in Brampton?

Also, did you happen to hear if Trafalgar will be bottling any "Korruptor" for cellaring ?
The answer to both questions can be found in the news item I posted earlier today. :wink:

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

[quote="GregClow]

Well, I tried it yesterday as well, and I gotta say that I wasn't quite as impressed as the person who started this thread. It's certainly better than the rest of the Great Lakes line-up, and it's flavourful and well-balanced, but it seemed a little subdued to me, especially for a beer with '666' emblazened on the tap handle.
[/quote]

Maybe my enthusiasm was a bit overstated :-?

Anyway, I'm just glad to see more flavourful pales being offered. They don't all have to be hop bombs to be enjoyable.

I can't believe I missed St. Andre's offering. I guess I just walked by the booth without thinking they had anything new to offer. I hope I get a second chance on tap somewhere soon.

I noticed Hockley Valley being mentioned for an award, but I didn't see a both. Did I miss them or did they pass on the expense?

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Tapsucker wrote: I noticed Hockley Valley being mentioned for an award, but I didn't see a both. Did I miss them or did they pass on the expense?
Hockley Valley wasn't at the fest.

JB

Post by JB »

Glad to hear some of you had the chance to try our new brew! As Greg mentioned, we're hoping to get it on tap at a few places around town, and we're tossing around the idea of a limited bottling run. Our website is in the process of being totally renovated, so we hope to provide some updates on there shortly. In the meantime, kegs (20L, 30, 58.6) are available at the brewery if you can't wait to get your fill...cheers!

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

I tried the 666 and found it to be excellent. Its great to see that more breweries are looking past the familiar and getting to the exciting.
"Every day above ground is a good one."

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

JB wrote:Glad to hear some of you had the chance to try our new brew! As Greg mentioned, we're hoping to get it on tap at a few places around town, and we're tossing around the idea of a limited bottling run. Our website is in the process of being totally renovated, so we hope to provide some updates on there shortly. In the meantime, kegs (20L, 30, 58.6) are available at the brewery if you can't wait to get your fill...cheers!
Do you fill growlers???? :wink:
Aventinus rules!

JB

Post by JB »

We'd be happy to fill growlers - just swing by our retail store between 10-6, Monday-Saturday. Cheers!

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

I also thought this was the standout IPA at the Golden Taps awards. I wish I had some spare growlers sitting around the house. Will you fill thermoses? :D :D

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

A wrote:I also thought this was the standout IPA at the Golden Taps awards. I wish I had some spare growlers sitting around the house. Will you fill thermoses? :D :D
It was a decent beer I would hesitate to call that an IPA personally, I did not find that it had a ton of hops in it.

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

I thought it had a ton of hops, just with a much more assertive malt backbone than most IPAs.

JB

Post by JB »

Good news! Devil's Pale Ale will be on tap at both BeerBistro and Café Volo in the next few days...we've only got a limited batch available, but if the response continues to be so positive, we'll take a serious look at adding it to our lineup full-time. Cheers!