Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Erdinger

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

princess_kelsey

Erdinger

Post by princess_kelsey »

i have tried an EXCELLENT German Wheat beer.. Its called “Erdinger”..produced in Erding,Germany. Apart from ordinary barley malt, a minimum of 50% of wheat malt is used to give the beer a smoother taste. Because of Erdingers superior quality and unique character, it has become the world’s most popular wheat beer! it is available in LCBO stores in Ontario, Alberta, Manitoba and i think Nova Scotia. (PS.. bars in these provinces may also carry it!!) Try it out, tell me what you think! :D

Cheers!

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Reads like a marketing message... :roll:

Out of the numerous German wheat beers that I've tried, Erdinger by far is the most ordinary and tasteless. If you want to try a truly excellent German wheat beer, try Denison's. It's locally made here in Toronto. Yum!
lister

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Erdinger is borderline american wheat, and very close to boring. It is the last wheat I buy when given the chooice between Hacker Weisse, Schnider Weisse at the LCBO, and when in T.O, I will go with Denison's.

Erdinger isn't horid or anything, but there are far tastier choices.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

princess_kelsey

i beg to differ.. its refreshingly different in my opinion! and who knows.. maybe you had a poor glass or didnt have the time to appriciate it. this isn't a beer to just guzzle down.. its something to sip on.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

princess_kelsey wrote:i beg to differ.. its refreshingly different in my opinion! and who knows.. maybe you had a poor glass or didnt have the time to appriciate it. this isn't a beer to just guzzle down.. its something to sip on.
I have had Erdinger probably over 50 times. On tap at least two dozen, and out of bottles for the rest.

I always use proper glassware (I have 3 Erdinger glasses at home here).

And I never guzzle beer, I always take the time to enjoy it.

There's nothing wrong with it, I just prefer a wheat with a little more body, and clove/banana essence.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Toddly

Post by Toddly »

I tasted Erdinger at the Chick'n'Deli in T.O .. it was pretty nice!
Peace; Toddly

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

princess_kelsey wrote:i beg to differ.. its refreshingly different in my opinion! and who knows.. maybe you had a poor glass or didnt have the time to appriciate it. this isn't a beer to just guzzle down.. its something to sip on.
I've had it twice. Once in bottle and once on tap. Both experiences were as I described. Like SteelbackGuy proper glassware was used. I don't guzzle beer. You need to try some more weisse beers. Another good local is Magnotta's Wunderweisse. On tap it's pretty close to Denison's. In bottle I personally think it's a huge step back and won't be buying any more of it in bottle form.

Paulaner is another import available at the LCBO in bottle form. Of Paulaner, Hacker and Schneider, I like Hacker the best.
lister

dhurtubise

Post by dhurtubise »

Are Früli, Erdinger and D. Tremens all represented by the same agent? I guess the next beer review will be Dekonnick if McClelland gets it's way my dear Princess. Come out, come out wherever you are...

By the way, Erdinger is likely my least favorite weissbier that the LCBO has carried. That would be followed closely by hacker pschorr.

Michael Hancock's Denison Weiss is by far the most superior product in this neck of the woods. When it's at it's best, I have yet to have a better weissbier, except for a homebrewed version brewed by the owner of Brew Your Own. Interestingly enough there was a short but likely profitable link between those two men who have brewed the two best german wheat beers I have had.

I should think that beating the local drum of a regional superstar such as Denison is a much better endoever than doing so for a lass than fresh competitor. Denison's Weiss can be found at your better beer bars in the GTA. If you are wondering where these bars are found, check his updated website: http://www.denisons.ca.

By the way, Denison's Dunkel is also incredible :wink: .

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

He he. Erdinger is my LEAST favourite wheat beer, german or otherwise, I've had it a handful of times and never really enjoyed it...but wheat beers are usually some of my faves.

I also concur that the last 4-5 topics are sketchy. :D

princess_kelsey

dhurtubise, good beer is good beer! i just wanted other peoples opinions on new beers that i liked. ive never even heard of or tried deconick for that matter! but i'll be sure to now.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

FYI, Erdinger is not available in Nova Scotia. And did you really think the users of this website were a bunch of guzzlers? Most have tried everything that's available at both the LCBO and Beer Store and beyond and have given every one a pretty thorough evaluation, and a quick read through a few threads would have indicated that. I admire your spunk in promoting what you like, but insinuating that we're a bunch of guzzlers was a bit naive considering the general content of the forums.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Hey Princess, "refreshingly different" is it? Oh well in that case. :wink:

Sadly, convincing BarTowellers that Erdinger Weisse has good typicity in the German HefeWeizen style.... is futile.

Analogy: you are trying to sell Yellow Tail Shiraz to people who appreciate Barolo.

Erdinger is just a mediocre beer to 'settle' for when better is not available. But please participate and contribute here if you really want to learn more.
In Beerum Veritas

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Erdinger hefeweiss is a un- offensive German hefe with some very light hefe characterists...good fresh but there are better...now, their dunkel hefe and dopplebock weizen are pretty decent.
Aventinus rules!

the.brewer

Post by the.brewer »

Thanks everyone!

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

I had the opportunity to get a few Konig Ludwig hefeweizens in NS which were only a month from bottling...very fresh and decent...probably among the better hefes availavle in bottles...but, although it had fresh malty fruity-clove tastes, much seems lost between this and the fresh draft weissbiers we can get locally (Dennison's and Magnotta).

I suspect the German hefes have some pasturizing process in their exported bottle product to ensure a longer shelf life, and from the perspective of a hefeweizen lover, that is a sad thing....as the flavor lost is tremendous...we are truely lucky to have 2 very good hefeweizens we can get fresh on tap in Ontario.
Aventinus rules!