Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Belhaven Twisted Thistle

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Belhaven Twisted Thistle

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Tried this last night.

I was shocked to find a UK IPA that is actually not muddled with earthy malts, and has actual nice hoppy/pine/floral flavours and aromas.

I find this is up there with Liberty Ale in terms of flavour, albiet different hop flavours. I enjoyed the thistle almost as much as I enjoy Liberty.

Thoughts?
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Why should you be shocked that the UK can produce an unmuddled 'non-malty' IPA? I guess you just haven't tried enough to realise that some IPA's from the UK far out-taste their Yankee rivals, which always seem to be overly hopped.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Something the US Micro brewers have tended to obscure from our judgement of good beer is that BALANCE is the key to a well made ale or beer...this usually promote drinkability , which is what beer is all about.. An unbalanced hop bomb is as unfavorable from a traditionalist crafter's perspective as an unbalanced malt bomb. Brewers in the UK strive for balance...if they put the malts or hops a little bit forward in an ale it is usually done judiciously to subtly show case some aspect of the beer.

I've been looking forward to sampling this twisted thistle...I'l have to wait until a few bottles filter down the LCBO pecking chain to K-W
Aventinus rules!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Torontoblue wrote:Why should you be shocked that the UK can produce an unmuddled 'non-malty' IPA? I guess you just haven't tried enough to realise that some IPA's from the UK far out-taste their Yankee rivals, which always seem to be overly hopped.
Well, I happen to prefer Yankee IPA over a lot of the stuff I have tried, both from Scotland, and England, and so this is why I am suprised.
And for me, overly-hopped is never a bad thing.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I just took a look to see where I might find this... guess what's at the top of the list:

LONDON 109 FANSHAWE PARK ROAD
RICHMOND & FANSHAWE PK (MASONVILLE) (519)
660-1366 Sep 26, 2006

In stock: 223 !!!!!!!!!!!!

(Must be an inside job) :D

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

james and I might have had to do something with that Derek, muahahah!

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Tried this today. Very good representation of a Pacific APA...and at 3.10 per1/2liter it is cheaper than Anchor liberty...also a good substitute for Anchor when this label gets the LCBO shelf boot like it's steam beer cousin did.

The thistle:

Gret heading and lacing..clear amber color.

Aroma is Pacific NW all the way with the Cascades giving the floral grapefuit tones and the challengers with the fresh pine notes..all this over some substantial bready malt sweetness.

Chewy Maris malts meet up with juicy grapefruit -pine hops from the get go and the hops slowly gain power over the mid palate...finishes wet and lightly bittering with a metallic aftertaste that battles a malty biscuit aftertaste.

I found this to be a good rendition of an American Pacific north west APA and fanciers of that style will like it. Ample out front NW hopping, sturdy Maris malts and a satisfying 6.1%ABV ...very drinkable and satisfying.
Aventinus rules!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Finally got around to cracking a bottle of this tonight. Wow! Really good stuff. I can see where everyone is coming from with the comparisons to Liberty and other West Coast PAs, although I think there's still some UK character in there as well. Really flavourful, hoppy without being over the top, good malt notes - just an all around great beer.

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

ditto... very, very good... I do have a soft spot for Belhaven, because I've been fortunate enough to actually visit the brewery and do a tour... ah... Sorry, back on topic... Anyhow, this was a really, really good beer... Definitely one of the most enjoyable UK bottled beers I've had in a long, long time! If you're into hoppy british ales, you'll like this, grab a few bottles before they're all gone!
Bored Silly? Check out my blog... http://geeksjournal.blogspot.com

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Hold on to your hats but I don't mind this one. It's got a nice aroma and doesn't whack you upside the head. I'm not about to drink a session of these (I don't drink sessions of anything really) but once in a while is nice much like Granite's Best Bitter Special.
lister

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Mister Lister is the resident Hop Fiend here if anyone is wondering - he usually prefers double IPA's so he's lowering his IBU standards for the Bellhaven. Anything really hoppy, send one to Lister.

Well, I must try it then!
In Beerum Veritas

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Belgian wrote:Mister Lister is the resident Hop Fiend here if anyone is wondering - he usually prefers double IPA's so he's lowering his IBU standards for the Bellhaven. Anything really hoppy, send one to Lister.
Despite his nick, don't believe anything Belgian says about his namesake beers. He hates them. Passionately.
lister

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Picked up 6 bottles tonight, will share my thoughts later. :)

emjay

Post by emjay »

Tried it a few nights ago. I have to say I was pretty amazed at how well balanced it was.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

After two bottles tonight I have to say that the brew is pretty decent. Not the typical hop monster I enjoy, but very nice.