Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Murphy's Irish Stout

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

pootz
Beer Superstar

Murphy's Irish Stout

Post by pootz »

I had this on Tap in BC, Montreal and recently NS, It was a surprise to me because I generally avoid Irish stout because I am not partial to it , my main yardstick for the style being Guinness,...the Murphy's was just as black and nitorgen pumped but it actually had a medium body to it and a creamy smooth mouth feel from obvious longer conditioning cycle....plus it had a nice slightly malt accented nut and cocoa decernement to it that made it very tasty and drinkable. No sharp edges on it...very smooth and viscous.

I enquired at the bar and the publican said the Murphy's out sells the Guinness 5 to one and that is increasing as more people try it. He went on to say they got it in because a lot of American tourists were asking for it.

I can believe it because I liked it and I'm not partial to the style.

Now the inevitable question....why have we not seen this stout at the LCBO or in wider distribution in TBS or pubs in GTA?

Is this a Guinness shelf space/tap handle monoply?
Aventinus rules!

jkubik

Post by jkubik »

Betty's on king east has it on tap. They actually have a decent tap selection IMNSHO.
I do drink a bit of it.

Betty's also has a bitter on tap that I like. Ah, now I remember, Fullers ESB.
-jkubik-

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

jkubik wrote:Betty's also has a bitter on tap that I like. Ah, now I remember, Fullers ESB.
It's been a long while since I've been to Betty's. I'll have to make another stop in now that they have Fuller's ESB. :D
lister

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

Not only do we not get Murphy's but Beamish also disappeared from TBS and LCBO about a year and a half ago leaving me without a decent regular stout. The North American Guinness (on tap) is widely considered the worst version of the Irish stout. The one time I had St Ambroise Oatmeal Stout at a bar I enjoyed it - though it so long ago I can't really recall what it tasted like. In bottles it's got that carbonated taste that makes it taste like a porter so I don't even consider it a stout.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

On the topic of Irish stouts, what do people think of the O'Hara's? I was a bit underwhelmed.

aeroeng

Post by aeroeng »

While we're at this, has anybody had the chance to sample the Guiness at their brewey in dublin? It's amazing that there are such notable differences in taste between the Guiness being served at the brewery to that in the pubs to that we have here in Toronto.

The view from the Gravity Bar was also quite nice

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

pootz wrote: Now the inevitable question....why have we not seen this stout at the LCBO or in wider distribution in TBS or pubs in GTA?
About 6 years ago there was a bar here that had Murphy's on tap. It was a nice place with a comfy pair of loveseats in front of a fireplace. I enjoyed many a pint of Murphy's there with friends from work. I went in about 2 years ago, and they no longer had Murphy's, only Guinness. I haven't been back since.

Cask

Post by Cask »

For those who are still looking for places to drink Murphy's in Toronto, Hoops (the sports bar on Yonge just north of College), oddly enough, has it on tap.

Brewpub Manager

Post by Brewpub Manager »

Just a note to those who enjoy Murphy's stout, they are distributed by Molson
in Canada, that is why they are not around too much, Beamish no longer deals with The Premium Brewing Company and thus has no contract for distribution

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Philip1 wrote:The North American Guinness (on tap) is widely considered the worst version of the Irish stout.
"Widely considered" by people who don't know what they're talking about, maybe.

The fact is that ALL Guinness served in kegs, cans and widget bottles in North America is brewed in Ireland using the same recipe as the stuff available over there. Any decline in the quality in comparison to the version available on tap in Ireland or elsewhere is either due to the beer not being cared for properly by the bar, or is a figment of the drinker's imagination.

The one version of Guinness available here that IS validly considered inferior is the Guinness Extra Stout that is available in non-widget bottles. This version is contract brewed by Labatt for North America, and having tried versions of the Extra Stout and Foreign Extra Stout available in several other countries, I can state pretty confidently that our version is the weakest of the lot.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Brewpub Manager wrote:Just a note to those who enjoy Murphy's stout, they are distributed by Molson in Canada, that is why they are not around too much
Huh. That seems sort of counter-intuitive to me. If Molson had a domestic stout that they didn't want to self-compete with, it might make sense. But considering that Murphy's main competitor would be Guinness, which is distributed by Sleeman (keg, can & widget bottle versions) and brewed by Labatt (Extra Stout bottle version), you'd think they'd be pushing it more.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

GregClow wrote:The one version of Guinness available here that IS validly considered inferior is the Guinness Extra Stout that is available in non-widget bottles. This version is contract brewed by Labatt for North America, and having tried versions of the Extra Stout and Foreign Extra Stout available in several other countries, I can state pretty confidently that our version is the weakest of the lot.
There are actually two different Guinness Extra Stouts brewed in Canada for the North American market. The Canadian version is done by Labatt, but the US version is done by Moosehead.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Bobbyok wrote:There are actually two different Guinness Extra Stouts brewed in Canada for the North American market. The Canadian version is done by Labatt, but the US version is done by Moosehead.
Interesting. Is this a recent development? I'll have to try the US version sometime to see how it compares to the Canadian one.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

GregClow wrote:
Bobbyok wrote:There are actually two different Guinness Extra Stouts brewed in Canada for the North American market. The Canadian version is done by Labatt, but the US version is done by Moosehead.
Interesting. Is this a recent development? I'll have to try the US version sometime to see how it compares to the Canadian one.
They've been doing it for quite a while. Moosehead also brews the draft version of Harp for the North American market. The US bottles apparently look more like the Foreign Stout bottles, but are labelled as being brewed in New Brunswick. I've never had it, but I've been told the Moosehead version is better than the Labatt version but still pretty bad.

liammckenna

Post by liammckenna »

The fact is that ALL Guinness served in kegs, cans and widget bottles in North America is brewed in Ireland using the same recipe as the stuff available over there. Any decline in the quality in comparison to the version available on tap in Ireland or elsewhere is either due to the beer not being cared for properly by the bar, or is a figment of the drinker's imagination.
I see you've bought the line. Having lived in Dublin for four years and regularly shared pints with the brewers of Guinness (at my place and theirs), I can comfortably say that while all Guinness we get here does come from Ireland, exports of kegs are 'customised' to local tastes.

Also, beer does not travel well. Even in well packaged kegs and cans. It's not always due to the bar or the imagination.

Would you buy bread from Ireland? I would if I was in Ireland.

Pax.

Liam