Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Val Dieu Winter Beer, and Abbaye Des Roc Grand Cru

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

robinvboyer

Val Dieu Winter Beer, and Abbaye Des Roc Grand Cru

Post by robinvboyer »

Had both these beers tonight at The Beer Bistro, a little pricey but worth every penny. The Val Dieu came in a great 750ml bottle. both were outstanding. Perfect example of what a good belgian beer can be! if you have some extra cash, and are in the area stop in and ask for one. They wont be on the beer menu they have them in the beer cellar. You will have to ask sepcifically for them.

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

Argh. Slightly off-topic, but...

Am I the only one who gets annoyed by these "special, not really on the menu" beers? Is it so hard for a bar/restaurant to get a laser printer and keep a current list of what's available?

They wouldn't offer food options and not put them on a menu/special's board/etc. - so why do they do it for beer?

-Josh

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Maybe they are not on there YET? Who knows. It would not make sense to not put them on at all.

DAN-D-MAN

Post by DAN-D-MAN »

beerbistro has a regular beer menu (the one page double-sided list) that has all their tap and bottled beer summarized. The other menu (the book style one) has descriptions of each beer and includes the "Beer Cellar" section that has bottles not listed on the regular menu. Both of them are regularly kept up to date. Now you know... ask for the complete beer menu when you're there.

robinvboyer

Post by robinvboyer »

sorry, guess i didnt go into detail enough. I asked to see the other menu for the cellar selections, and a very nice gentleman, i'm assuming the manager came out and informed me that it was being re-vamped and he hadn't gotten around to printing it out and putting it with the regular menu so he recited it to me.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

[quote="robinvboyer"]sorry, guess i didnt go into detail enough. so he recited it to me.[/quote]
anything else mentioned?

robinvboyer

Post by robinvboyer »

other than those two.......i can't exactly recall.......th list didn't seem to be too extensive, i don't think i got most of the list, he was going off the top of his head, so i'm sure he missed some. The only others i can remember were Barley Wines such as Rogue's Old Crustacean from 97, 98, and 2000 i believe he said, and Old Foghorn barley wine from Anchor.