Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Germany gives Toronto brewers a thumbs-up!

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Germany gives Toronto brewers a thumbs-up!

Post by Belgian »

Had some Germans out at BeerBistro (of course) so they wanted to try some Kanadisches Bier.

I suggested, per their tastes, the King Dark and Denison's Weisse, both served in pristine form on tap. They were impressed with how solid and convincingly made these German styles were here.

In particular he remarked the Denison's was a "thick, fat" hefeweizen, which is certainly a compliment from a Bavarian Bierkenner.

When next round I ordered a Sgt Majors IPA, she quickly said she'd have the same. I said uh, are you sure, it is a rather hoppy bright altbier style of the British tradition. No matter. Upon tasting she immediately says, vis-a-vis the Dunkel 'Ja, that is something else!' but apparently had no trouble enjoying this wonderfully bitter-hoppy Imperial Pale.

The Sergeant is now a superb British-tasting creation which is noticably more smooth that the previous Church Key-made version. It is no longer a grapefruity, pine-resiny monster, but in a way the still-defined hoppiness now seems more in balance with the malts underneath. At present I can say they at Heritage have settled into a VERY nice recipe. The Sarge also looked a fair few shades darker than I ever remember. Hmm, very nice work Perry!
In Beerum Veritas

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Sounds like a gemutlich evening.
In particular he remarked the Denison's was a "thick, fat" hefeweizen, which is certainly a compliment from a Bavarian Bierkenner.
From what I recall of the Bavarian people, I'd have to say "look who's talking." ;)

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

It is no longer a grapefruity, pine-resiny monster,

That's sad to hear, because I loved that beer that way.

Still I'm more than open to trying the new Sgt. Major. Maybe Perry will start brewing the Admiral Perry more regularly. 8)

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

DragonOfBlood wrote:It is no longer a grapefruity, pine-resiny monster,

I did too, but I really like it now as a whole package. I totally get it, really solid.
In Beerum Veritas

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Belgian wrote:
DragonOfBlood wrote:It is no longer a grapefruity, pine-resiny monster,

I did too, but I really like it now as a whole package. I totally get it, really solid.
Can't wait to try it.

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

I liked it a lot better back in the day. Doesn't taste like an IPA anymore.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I get the feeling the Sarge's hops are still in there, just more in balance. I dunno.

Two of three pints recently were brilliant, while the one remaining lacked some carbonation & was merely quite good.

Count me a fan either way.
In Beerum Veritas

DAN-D-MAN

Post by DAN-D-MAN »

I had the Corporal Punishment at Volo last week and it tasted terrible. I got through about half of it and had to dump it. Ralph said he had just tapped it about 3 days before so it wasn't old. It's at this point that Ralph explained both the IPA and the Corporal taste different now.

Very disappointing... Perry, what's goin' on!?