Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Wychwood Bah Humbug

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Wychwood Bah Humbug

Post by GregClow »

A surprise new arrival at the LCBO for the holiday season is Wychwood Bah Humbug strong ale. It doesn't seem to be part of the upcoming holiday beer release, and at the Atrium location at least, it was shelved with the holiday gift-packs.

As with most Wychwood beers, the ratings on RateBeer aren't great, but I tend to like winter warmers a bit more than the average, so I'm looking forward to trying it.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Good catch Greg! I scored a couple today and will try one tonight. I have been luke warm towards Wychwood beers in the past...a tad thin for my palate... but I like the sounds of this one being a malty full bodied beer. Doesn't seem to be a lot of them ordered.
Aventinus rules!

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

tried this tonight....one of the few Wychwood beers with a sturdy malt backbone and some body. Nice seasonal with a spice-hop combo that seems to work well. I'll be stocking some more in to serve visitors this Xmas.
Aventinus rules!

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Is it in a clear bottle? Cause I can probably tell you what it tastes like right now if it is :roll:

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

JerCraigs wrote:Is it in a clear bottle? Cause I can probably tell you what it tastes like right now if it is :roll:
No. Brown tinted glass!! imagine that! Just the same I heve not had a light struck Wychwood in the clear bottles...I just found them a little thin and laking in flavor definition for all the schmaltzy advertising/packaging.

The nose on this is a fooler it smells and looks like you will be biting into a gooy rich sweet Chrismas cake but it is surprisingly non cloying-spicey-hoppy for the malts in it......I did wonder if the cinnamon was natural or a concentrate additive..it seems fairly sharp...hot almost. :-?
Aventinus rules!

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

After reading this post I'm about to head downtown and see if my pathetic-at-best local LCBO has it in stock.

I can think of a hundred things I'd rather drink than Wychwood brews, but I can also think 100 things I'd take Wychwood stuff over any day.

EDIT: So as expected, my pathetic LCBO had none of it in stock, but they did have 9 bottles of the Belhaven Twisted Thistle, after one of their employees told me that they weren't going to be getting anymore, lmao.

So I ended up buying 6 of the 9 bottles, and will keep my eye open for the Bah Humbug.

robinvboyer

Post by robinvboyer »

bought a few bottles of the bah humbug, and well i'm not surprised, as a few other posters have said, they wychwood beers are pretty thin. Mind you this is probably the best wychwood beer i've had. I still find it thin for a winter warmer, but its not half bad, it had a nice sweetness to it.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Wow the fall/harvest/christmas spices are great in this beer. I only had a small sample at work, but I really enjoyed it. Definitely a fireplace sipper.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Slacks

Post by Slacks »

Sipping on this one now, they had quite a few at the Steeles/410 LCBO near Brampton/Mississauga. Unlike most of you I was a fan of Hobgoblin, although not much so of Black Wych "Stout".

Bah Humbug is great! Tons of malting, good hopping, excellent spicing. I'm really pleased with this one.

Cheers,
Rick.

Duct Tape

Post by Duct Tape »

OK, so for anyone who has bought and opened multiple bottles of this, i want to know if you got the same result.

My roommates and I cracked a bottle each during dinner on friday (mmm spiced beer and festive specials), at least, that was the plan. My two roommates got bottles that while spicing was evident, had no aroma and not a lot of taste, while mine was overpowering in the aroma and the taste, to the point that when sampling each others, we wondered if there wasn't two different beers in the bottle, the very understated version they got, and the overstated one i got.

Question is, has anyone else observed this, and does anyone know which version is the right one, or should it have been somewhere more in the middle. I really liked it, if i thought i would consistently get something like the bottle i had.
"If the Women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
-------
Please visit www.OHLPhotos.com & http://www.flickr.com/photos/55976115@N00/

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

I've had four bottles so far (with three more in the fridge) and all were pretty much identical. The aroma and taste were noticeably pleasant but not overpowering. I quite like this brew. I bought them at different LCBOs.
lister

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

Duct Tape wrote:OK, so for anyone who has bought and opened multiple bottles of this, i want to know if you got the same result.
i don't know if it's any different bottle-to-bottle, but i did not enjoy the bottle i had. the appearance and aroma were nice enough, but the taste was terrible. like licking an ashtray where someone had just burned cinnamon sticks or something. then there was that aftertaste that made you wish you'd only kept the beer for its aroma and not even considered tasting it...drainpour.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Unless you drive out to Hopelessville, Northern Ontario, where do you find this stuff?

I'd love to get more Thistle in Belleville.
In Beerum Veritas

Duct Tape

Post by Duct Tape »

Belgian wrote:Unless you drive out to Hopelessville, Northern Ontario, where do you find this stuff?

I'd love to get more Thistle in Belleville.
Unless the LCBO has more stock to distribute, apparently you get it in the frozen tundra only, or i guess you could beg your LCBO store manager to try and transfer some from the styx.
"If the Women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
-------
Please visit www.OHLPhotos.com & http://www.flickr.com/photos/55976115@N00/

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Anyone got a bottle of this to trade?
http://www.bartowel.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=24528