Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Fullers Vintage 2006

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Also the comparison to wine isn't a really great one. Blended wines are a much more common occurance in that industry than in the brewing trade.
The analogy is limited.

My own attitude was skeptical to mixing beer, until I recently tried a Stout & Strong together, then a RIS with an IPA . Both were surprisingly good.

** Slight threadjack ** just did a tasting of several Reds & it is amazing how many hopeless wines clutter up the 10-15 dollar range in our stores. Family in Europe drink a Spanish Red for 2-3 Euros that blows away 80% of these overpriced juices.
In Beerum Veritas

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Having my first bottle of this right now, and I'm really liking it. Fantastic biscuity & fruity aroma, and big, warm flavour with some great whisky-like notes in the finish. I'll agree with those who say that the alcohol is a bit prominent, but it's really working for me in this beer.

I was buying a few other things on the day I picked this up, so I only grabbed two - one to drink, one to "cellar" - due to the amount I had to carry & the price point. But now I'm tempted to grab a couple more, assuming I can find them...

robinvboyer

Post by robinvboyer »

if anyone is looking for more of the fuller's 2006, and are having problems finding it, the LCBO at Davisville and Yonge have about 4-5 cases of it on the floor right now.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

As does Cooper Street - a fair bit.

I'm liking this Fullers 2006 better than the Innis & Gunn Limited Edition (Blue Boxed) 2006 Oak Aged Ale.

The I&G is good but a bit less meaty - it is lighter and more sour and has plenty of scotch-like oak aromas which I don't really care about either way.

The Fullers is just 'fuller' ;) tasting and more interesting for me.
In Beerum Veritas

Hamilton Brian

Post by Hamilton Brian »

Dying for this to make it to Hamilton. I asked the Dundurn store to call me when it gets in.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Even saw some (Fuller's Vintage) this evening at Avenue Rd. & Lawrence, which is generally a good beer desert.

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

midlife crisis wrote:Even saw some (Fuller's Vintage) this evening at Avenue Rd. & Lawrence, which is generally a good beer desert.
Mmmmmm.... good beer dessert....

BeerMonger

Post by BeerMonger »

I actually preferred the Wee Heavy at half the price!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Well, price should never dictate anything (except whether to spend less?)

I'll try the Belhaven again but the 'peaty' quality of it put me off last time. The Fullers Vintage of last year didn't impress me as much, so a higher price doesn't make me think somethng is better.

I'm drinking Sgt Majors now thinking 'damn, this is better than any bottle of Upper Canada or Algonquin or Brick that I've ever drank' plus it's a bargain for the craft level. Even with the Heritage alterations it's an unusually good, fresh local beer.
In Beerum Veritas

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

I looked everywhere, but could not find a cellar anywhere in my apartment.

So what is the best way to enjoy this currently unrefrigerated beer?

Immediately? Leave in the fridge for as long as I can to let it age as the label suggests? Leave it unrefrigerated for a while?

Hmmm, I seem to be leaning towards 'immediately'. :D

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

I'm missing a cellar in my apartment and soon-to-be condo as well. :wink: If I'm storing anything long term it goes into a closet that doesn't get opened very often. Unfortunately I don't have any heat control and only moderate A/C control right now. That'll be different at my condo. For shorter term beers that I know I'll be drinking relatively soon I just put it in my fridge.

I eliminate the issue by buying several bottles. One or two to drink immediately and several to store in the closet. :D
lister

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

sstackho wrote:I looked everywhere, but could not find a cellar anywhere in my apartment.

So what is the best way to enjoy this currently unrefrigerated beer?

Immediately? Leave in the fridge for as long as I can to let it age as the label suggests? Leave it unrefrigerated for a while?
Do you have a storage locker in the basement of your apartment building? If so storing a few beers there in a non descript carboard box might be a better idea. Those rooms (from my experience) tend to be cooler than the average apartment as they are often below ground.

If you don't have that then I'd suggest leaving it in a box nearest to a window (away from heaters) or wherever the coolest, non refridgerated space is in your abode. Beer will still age at room temperature BUT the hotter that is and the more it fluctuates the less ideal the results will be and the greater chance of spoiling the beer rather than improving it. Closets are generally a bad idea. While they are generally dark they also tend to trap heat.

Last, I've heard of some folks storing beers in their parents' basement, Aunt Bertha's cellar, in the crawl space under the family cottage in Muskoka...wherever you can find that is dark, cool and undisturbed.

If none of those options are possible then you can leave the beer in the fridge...it's just not a very ideal option long term.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

I found the Fullers vintage this year to be the worst of the ones I've tasted. It doesn't hide its alcohol very well and the fusil notes in the aroma and finish are a real turn off....it tastes like it has a lot more alcohol than it does.....I will be committing the 5 remaining bottles I have to the cellar...this stuff is way too young to enjoy.
Aventinus rules!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

If alcohol tastes overpowering, cooling a beverage down may help.
In Beerum Veritas

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Belgian wrote:If alcohol tastes overpowering, cooling a beverage down may help.
It was chilled to about 45deg.F...it is just a young ale that needs some time.
Aventinus rules!