Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Hair of the Dog

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

I found the same thing, although I think thats what a really young Doggie Claws is like. It was bottled in October or something I think, I ended up really enjoying the bottle I had.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

viggo wrote:I found the same thing, although I think thats what a really young Doggie Claws is like.
That's highly unlikely. I've had Doggie Claws several times before, at various ages, and it was never like this. And I've never experienced a beer that had absolutely no carbonation when it was first bottled, but a normal level of carbonation when it aged a few months.

This is not the first time HOTD has had issues with their bottling. Some people who got some of the limited bottling of Fred From The Wood that was done for RateBeer earlier this year posted complaints about poor capping causing their bottles to leak or go flat. This is a serious quality control issue, IMO, and one that will probably make me wary of buying any of their beer in the future.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

This thread worries me. As a result I went in to check on my stash of HOTD and indeed many of the caps are not fully crimped onto the bottles. Most flair at their base and do not fully grip the lip of the bottle. I was actually able to press up on one with my thumb and get the gas to release in the "PPST" common to uncapping. What do I do know? I don't have a capper to close the caps properly (if they actually CAN be sealed, perhaps they are the wrong size???). I've got just shy of 70 bottles left and I'm loathe to believe I might lose some to oxidation due to loose caps.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Hmm, looks like a blessing in disguise that I couldn't participate in the private order with all the doggie claw issues? Of course for those that are worried about their beers, I do accept donations during the Xmas season.

Too bad though...I assume these special orders are "as is" and complaining will accomplish nothing.

Enjoy what you can!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Jon - if my experience with a bottle of Doggie Claws last night is any indication, it's probably too late to save any that weren't capped properly. At this point, I guess you'll just have to cross your fingers each time you open one. :-?

At least the Fred I had tonight was OK.o

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

The Fred and the Adam appear to be okay even though they can be "vented" by simply pressing up on the caps. The Doggie on the other hand seems to be screwed. The beer opens without a sound and pours completely flat. It still tastes okay but not the amazing flavour profile I recall from previous samplings. I think I'll have to drink the case soon. I've written to the brewery to get to the bottom of this...we'll see if they get back to me.

Anyone up for a Doggie Claws sample-a-thon?

Al of Kingston

Post by Al of Kingston »

My joy, having yet to receive my Fred and Doggie Claws, is unbound. What % of the Doggies Claws is shot? Anyone have good Doggie Claw bread recipes?

robinvboyer

Post by robinvboyer »

This is quite unfortunate. I have also heard of people having issues with HOTD capping of their bottles on the Rete Beer forums.

I think i got lucky, cause a few of my caps are lifted a bit, and i made sure to drink those fairly soon after opening the case. The rest of my bottle on the other hand seem to be fine. I'm curious to see what the brewery will respond to the questions about their capping.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

I got a reply from Alan Sprints of Hair of The Dog today. He wrote as follows;

"My capper was repaired after the Doggie Claws bottling. The bottles should be fine, I checked for leaks when labeling. This years Claws is lower carbonation on purpose, I was looking for a softer flavor, more like a wine. I think the Adam and Fred will age fine, but you could just drink them now."

Hmm...not exactly as reassuring as I would have liked. Doesn't the fact that the capper was repaired AFTER the bottling indicate that it wasn't working properly prior? He might have checked some of the bottles but certainly not all. I don't really know what I expected him to say..."sorry, we'll ship you brand new bottles that are properly capped". Not likely.

I'm going to let mine age. If they don't last I'll be pissed as it'll likely be loose caps to blame. I just don't think being able to push up on a cap with your thumb and get it to vent is an acceptable seal.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Mmm, sounds like evasiveness - you guys gave Alan Sprints clear indications (you did right?) that the caps are NOT properly attached, regardless if Alan now claims the beer is 'flatter on purpose.' Nobody puts caps on loose intentionally to make beer flat.

Maybe I'm more loose-lipped in this regard, but I'd advise ALL of you affected by this to send a directly-worded e-mail.

To be fair Sprints has even admitted to his capper needing repair - oops! - so, I guess he's sending you all more beer, & checking it twice? I'd give him a chance to do that.

( >> Would the LCBO advise/support you guys in regard to the loose caps as a consumer protection concern? Everything else this Monopoly takes a profit from is guaranteed from obvious defects, & you will have to deal with the LC in the event of product replacement anyway so...)
In Beerum Veritas

Al of Kingston

Post by Al of Kingston »

I have the best of both worlds, having my lot being aged by the LCBO en route from Toronto to Kingston. Once in hand I expect I will do a photo essay on these caps and post it. Then I will experiment with everything from duct tape to paraffin wax and post a photo essay on that.

BeerMonger

Post by BeerMonger »

Perhaps the slightly opened cap may offer a different beer taste/sensation (hopefully not a different texture). After all, the way some of you mix and match your beers in various combinations it can't be much different, can it? :lol: :wink:

frosken

Post by frosken »

Well...3 weeks after everybody else, I got a call from my local LCBO in Rockland and the manager delivered some (yet again) rather 'bad news'...

After getting the first bad news that I only had 1 case of Fred (rather than 2) due to a 'broken case' upon reception in T.O., Now I learn that my case of Fred and Adam is well 'damaged'...

Looks like half of the bottles in both cases have popped and shows mildew around the crown...

I haven't seen them yet (going to check tonight), but the manager suggests to refuse them...

What would 'you' do???

Awaiting replies...

Frosken in Rockland (Wonderland)

Al of Kingston

Post by Al of Kingston »

I recommend refusing them. I had a well-past-the-borderline experience with my shipment to Kingston but was saved by luck and quick intervention as described here and here. I got my cases on December 23rd with some bottles being so far gone as having no beer in the neck at all. Adding two weeks to the spoiling of the beer likely means it is probably a total loss. If you can get you money back you are likely better off.
Last edited by Al of Kingston on Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Absolutely refuse them. The LCBO should be made aware that most (if not all) of this order was inproperly capped. HOTD have largely washed their hands of the matter seemingly not worried about unhappy customers in Canada. It really is a shame. I've been a big, vocal supporter of their beers but their customer service in this matter has been pretty weak.

Regardless, write to the brewery and complain (even point them to this thread). Maybe you can get the satisfactory response that I couldn't.