Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Hair of the Dog

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

robinvboyer

Hair of the Dog

Post by robinvboyer »

Well to everyone who got in on the private order, kudos! Had one of my bottles of Adam tonight.............one word.........WOW.
Anyways, i was wondering, for the people who ordered a case of Adam, what batch are your bottles from? I'm assuming they are all the same bacth #67 like mine, but i was curious as to what everyone else got.

robinvboyer

Post by robinvboyer »

I e-mailed the brewery to get the details on when my batch was brewed. (their website hasnt been updated in a while)
this is the response i got from the brewery,

"It was bottled in October of this year, Brewed in September. You have one of 253 cases. I am very happy with this batch, it should improve over the next 20 years. Thanks for the sale."

as stated in the previous post, its for batch #67.
I'm surprised when he said 1 of 253. i was expecting alot more than that in a batch.

All in all, i'm extremely happy with my Adam, simply outstanding beer.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

253 cases = roughly 2070.5 liters.

Thats probably comparable to a batch or a half batch at some of the smaller Ontario micros. HOTD is not as big as you might think.

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

JerCraigs wrote:HOTD is not as big as you might think.
Not much more than 1000 hl/year, I think. Maybe even less. Definitely not as big as people might think. Pretty tiny, in fact.

flip

Post by flip »

Wheatsheaf wrote:
Not much more than 1000 hl/year, I think. Maybe even less. Definitely not as big as people might think. Pretty tiny, in fact.
Besides the fact that they make great beer, this is one of the reasons that I was pretty excited that we were able to work out a private order.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

flip wrote:
Wheatsheaf wrote:
Besides the fact that they make great beer, this is one of the reasons that I was pretty excited that we were able to work out a private order.
And it probably also explains why Ruth was missing from the order. Maybe they didn't have the supply to meet the demand. Let's just be thankful that we got what we did.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

GregClow wrote:
flip wrote:
Wheatsheaf wrote: Not much more than 1000 hl/year, I think. Maybe even less. Definitely not as big as people might think. Pretty tiny, in fact.
And it probably also explains why Ruth was missing from the order. Maybe they didn't have the supply to meet the demand. Let's just be thankful that we got what we did.
I believe someone mentioned in the Secret Santa thread on Ratebeer that Ruth is only available in Oregon. If so, sounds like it's pretty limited release.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Bobbyok wrote:I believe someone mentioned in the Secret Santa thread on Ratebeer that Ruth is only available in Oregon. If so, sounds like it's pretty limited release.
It may be limited, but it's been shipped out of state before. Volo brought it in along with three other HOTD beers earlier this year.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

has anyone else had carbonation issues with their HOTD? the caps seem to be just barely on, certainly not fully crimped down. one of the guys opened a doggie claws and it was nearly flat. just wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

grub wrote:has anyone else had carbonation issues with their HOTD? the caps seem to be just barely on, certainly not fully crimped down. one of the guys opened a doggie claws and it was nearly flat. just wondering if anyone else has noticed this.
In one of my cases I noticed that one of the caps wasn't on tightly. During my trek home with the cases that bottle leaked and only really noticed it when I heard a low hissing noise. I've only opened one other bottle, which was fine, so I don't know how the rest are.

As for the beers, I don't mind Adam. I'm not super excited about it but I should be able to finish the case off. The Rose however I found disgusting. If anyone wants to trade for or purchase the 22 bottles, fire me a PM.
lister

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

There have been discussions on Ratebeer about loose caps. Many with homebrew caps are crimping them on tighter or electrical taping the caps if they plan to store long term.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I think the only way to check all these caps is to remove them immediately, and we all dance the Drunken Fool dance.
In Beerum Veritas

flip

Post by flip »

Finally picked up my lot today.

I'm almost through my first bottle of Fred right now. I'll try to keep the superlatives to a minimum, but MAN that's good!

This is the first beer that I've had at this alcohol content that has had so much sharp bitterness to it. The hop level works just great with the rye malt. The nose is intensely hoppy and spicy, but there's a hint of sweetness. That light sweetness reappears lightly sweet in a maple syrup or honey aftertaste. Very subtle and nice.

My main thought: I wish I'd gotten more! If anyone's selling, I'm buying!

Next up: Doggie Claws.

EDIT: FYI: I did notice that the caps on some of my bottles do appear to be a little offcenter. No leakages, though. I'll certainly take on the misfit capped bottles first and leave the others to rest.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

grub wrote:has anyone else had carbonation issues with their HOTD? the caps seem to be just barely on, certainly not fully crimped down. one of the guys opened a doggie claws and it was nearly flat. just wondering if anyone else has noticed this.
I cracked a Doggie Claws last night, and was really worried when the only sound was a barely audible "pfff". I poured it, and my fears were realized - it was completely flat. :cry:

After a few sips, I had to dump it - as much as I love this beer in it's proper form, I found the flavour too overpowering without a bit of carbonation to cut the rough edges. Not to mention that it had some off flavours lurking in the background.

I only got a few bottles of each of the DC and Fred, and the Fred I opened the other night was fine. Here's hoping the rest of my little stash is OK...

flip

Post by flip »

GregClow wrote:
I cracked a Doggie Claws last night, and was really worried when the only sound was a barely audible "pfff". I poured it, and my fears were realized - it was completely flat. :cry:

After a few sips, I had to dump it - as much as I love this beer in it's proper form, I found the flavour too overpowering without a bit of carbonation to cut the rough edges. Not to mention that it had some off flavours lurking in the background.

I only got a few bottles of each of the DC and Fred, and the Fred I opened the other night was fine. Here's hoping the rest of my little stash is OK...
I'm sad to report the same issue with my Doggie Claws: totally flat. Not very enjoyable... especially after I really liked the Fred :(