Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Hockley Stout

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

pootz
Beer Superstar

Hockley Stout

Post by pootz »

Had a sneek taste of the Hockley stout that should be out to LCBOs in a couple of weeks.

Fresh from the brite tank this was a tasteful take on a dry Irish stout, tasty and drinkable..Guinness fans should like it...tastes fresher and a bit more malty than the big G...should appear in liter bottles shortly.
Aventinus rules!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I really look forward to trying this - not so much a fan of their golden ale but the Hockley Dark is a Brown Ale I do quite like.
In Beerum Veritas

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Belgian wrote:I really look forward to trying this - not so much a fan of their golden ale but the Hockley Dark is a Brown Ale I do quite like.
You will be intrigued as to how they managed to get a puffy Guinness-like cap and creamy mouth feel without the nitrogen treatment.

And, No, I ain't tellin' :wink:
Aventinus rules!

habfour

Post by habfour »

Picked up a bottle yesterday at LCBO. Reminded me very much of the Sierra Nevada Stout. Definitely malty, hope this stays around for awhile, not many other excellent Ontario Stout's regularly available.

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

habfour wrote:Picked up a bottle yesterday at LCBO. Reminded me very much of the Sierra Nevada Stout. Definitely malty, hope this stays around for awhile, not many other excellent Ontario Stout's regularly available.
best one in the province since Brock's IMHO.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

tuqueboy wrote:

best one in the province since Brock's IMHO.
I think you're refering to Brick Bock Toque. This is a stout...

... although a delightfully malty one...started out as an Irish but I think it is sufficiently malty to escape the "dry" Irish stout classification...very good effort.
Last edited by pootz on Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aventinus rules!

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

pootz wrote:
tuqueboy wrote: best one in the province since Brock's IMHO.
... although a delightfully malty one..started out as an Irish but I think it is sufficiently malty to escape the "dry" Irish stout classification...very good effort.
No, I'm not. Brock's extra stout used to be made by niagara falls brewing. and it was great.

http://www.ratebeer.com/Beer/niagara-fa ... tout/6439/

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

tuqueboy wrote:
pootz wrote:
tuqueboy wrote: best one in the province since Brock's IMHO.
... although a delightfully malty one..started out as an Irish but I think it is sufficiently malty to escape the "dry" Irish stout classification...very good effort.
No, I'm not. Brock's extra stout used to be made by niagara falls brewing. and it was great.

http://www.ratebeer.com/Beer/niagara-fa ... tout/6439/
MY bad.... I misread the Brock for Bock...freudian dyslexia.
Aventinus rules!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Picked up a bottle yesterday at LCBO. Reminded me very much of the Sierra Nevada Stout. Definitely malty,.
Ooh, I really liked SN Porter so now I'm salivating to try the Hockley today.

The EZ-cap 1 liter bottles are valuable for home-brewing and should be saved - you could give them to a home-brewer friend or else meet me for a pint and I could pass them on for you, to help the cause.
In Beerum Veritas

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

This is quite a tasty stout, particularly for the relatively low alcohol. Very roasty - quite noticeably so. I'm really enjoying it, though the price ($9.95 per litre) must set a new standard for local microbeer!

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

midlife crisis wrote:This is quite a tasty stout, particularly for the relatively low alcohol.
Shock Horror!! Sorry for the sarcasm but a low alcohol beer can have exceptional flavour you know, as the recent Monthly Relsease at Pepperwoods proved. A 3.5% English Mild. The flavours beat most stouts and porters out there at the moment. I just wish people will get away from this preconception that low alcohol strength equals low flavour :x

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I'm surprised by the flavour from this light weight as well. It's a little roasty, but certainly not too burnt or dry.

I like.

Stomp Brockmore

Post by Stomp Brockmore »

Agreed. Very tasty, sessionable stout.

Also - take this, turn up the volume, and you'd have one killer Imperial.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Roastiness - almost a hint of char or smokiness that is actually very pleasant.

Also has a toasty toffeeish sweetness.

Incredibly balanced ale, very full tasting yet clean with no organic 'off' tones, no lactic sourness or excessively acerbic hop bitterness. I agree with those who say it could be worked up to a great Imperial.

In fact the Great Lakes Blackout Stout I just tried was not half as interesting to me, because it was a malt bomb but it did not have the 'layers' the Hockley Stout has. This beer is 'comfort food' for beer buffs!
In Beerum Veritas

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

Ah, a thick roasty stout - just in time for sitting out back on the patio in global-warming superheated downtown TO :D :D