Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Grand River Ploughman's ale

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

pootz
Beer Superstar

Grand River Ploughman's ale

Post by pootz »

Has a glass of this today at the Castle...big burnt toffe /caramel malts against some pretty tenatious hop bittering...this ale tastes like something Wellington would brew if they had balls.

Sweeter than the lager, this one has a good mix of malts from Caramel to toast to biscuit...the hop presense is more subdued than the lager but still very aggressive...they hang in there and leave a metallic puckering after taste.
Last edited by pootz on Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Aventinus rules!

wittaker

Post by wittaker »

Has a glass of this today at the Castle...big burnt toffe /caramel malts against some pretty tenatious hop bittering...this ale tastes like something Wellington would brew if they had balls.
I am looking forward to trying this. I do miss the Wellington IS and can't wait for it's return.

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Sounds great...will we see bottles at the LCBO anytime in the foreseeable future? Or on tap outside the K-W region?

KwaiLo

Post by KwaiLo »

I just picked up a growler each of Galt Knife Old Style, and Plowman's Ale. I was told that the next step was 500mL brown bottles, but wasn't told when.

I don't think there is much chance of this being at the LCBO until there is a bottle smaller than 1.9L.

Nice facility, though I won't know what the beer is like until tomorrow. I will have to raid the cellar one more night...

runes

Post by runes »

i would love to see this at the lcbo!

Beer Geek

Post by Beer Geek »

shintriad wrote:Sounds great...will we see bottles at the LCBO anytime in the foreseeable future? Or on tap outside the K-W region?
Rob mentioned that it was at Victory Cafe in Toronto.

crawler

Post by crawler »

Was there this afternoon - they don't have it yet.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Picked some up today from the brewery. It was pretty solid, but I managed to drain the glass before it warmed up enough to grasp the more subtle points. I have a growler brought home to give a second whirl.

The building is pretty cool and I can't wait to see it when they have had some time to get everything they have in mind up and running.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I had a growler of the ale yesterday, and exchanged the growler for the lager today.

The Ale certainly isn't a pansy, wanna-be American pale ale. Apparantly they were shooting for IBU's in the low 50's, but underestimated the utilization of the high-alpha hops in their big boiler. I'm sure it's at least 60 IBU. Plenty of well-rounded hop flavour as well, not at all 'green' like the overtly citrus dry hopping you find in Durhams Hop Head. There's great underlying malt flavours too (mild biscuit/bread, toffee & caramel). The closest thing I'd compare it to is the Mill Street IPA (not the weaker Tankhouse)... yet this one's only 4.7%! Incredible session beer.

They've done a lot of work on the old building, with lots left to do. I was surprised by their capacity, but I guess they need a little more space to lager (which a lot of micro's don't do).

BTW, Rob says they're not in Toronto. Yet. :D

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

I have now had this and it is superb indeed. It is a darkish amber ale, very well-hopped but still well-balanced. I get both American and English flavour notes in the beer. I had it cold and I think this may lessen any fruity character and accentuate the malt and hop qualities. It really does taste like a fine American-style Imperial or double pale (even allowing for its reasonable ABV level). The beer too is clean as a whistle, no off or discordant notes whatever: it is all beer. I have no doubt, too, it is reminiscent in its hopping levels of historical IPAs. A first class effort and a treat for fans of fine crafted ales.

Gary

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

old faithful wrote:It really does taste like a fine American-style Imperial or double pale
I don't think you've ever had one then!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Definitely not a double/Imperial... but one hell of a pale ale.

In a blind tasting, I think it would kill Sierra Nevada, Old Yale and even Alpha King. All of which I love (and are also stronger).

Heck... if I was still in Cambridge, I'd probably be keeping these guys in business!

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

I agree it is not an Imperial or double pale, its ABV (as I noted earlier) is lower than for those, but its big malty taste, especially the very well-hopped flavour (not just the flavour but the hop bitterness), reminded me of some swallows of Imperials I've had in my time.

Anyway, a great beer, it stands on its own merits, I'll be buying it regularly.

Gary

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Well Rob is best to clarify the style... but if I was to offer an objective guess, I'd say this is an amber ale (that is a wide classification) of the type that was brewed in the area before prohibition...it is primal Canadian ale from the pre-prohibition industrialization era....it has that stigma about it.

Besides having some big flavor, there is something primal and basic about this ale...it's a no nonsense ale..not overly complicated and with some good "bite" to it...a working man's drink from times past....aptly named, this could have been the type of local tavern ale that the area's foundery worker or farmer may have quaffed after a hard day at it.

I found the hop presence to be interesting...hard to put a handle on it...but it seems reminisant of the small golden cones that come from the native hops I have used in brews (I know they are Western US varierties as this is what Bob told me) but the variety is fairly straight forward in bittering without a lot of fancy side compounds and gives the impression of something local brewers in the past may have had to work with...that combined with the big amber and red malt mixture( Pioneer brewers didn't have access to much pale malt) and I think Rob succeeded in recreating an authentic pioneer Canadian ale and lager....if that's what he was going for.
Aventinus rules!

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

Old Faithful showed up on short notice with agrowler for us to polish off. This is one of those hype things that turns out to be true. I put a very good review on Ratebeer. Pootz, what;s with BA--an approval lag again? There are a dozen good breweries never getting listed, any pull with Viggio?