Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Deuchars IPA

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

hopdevil

Deuchars IPA

Post by hopdevil »

Available at the LCBO as part of the Autumn Ales release.
500 ml can, 4.4 %, Caledonian Brewery
I've had this beer before and enjoyed it as one of the better British Pale Ales.
Seems it has changed this time around, for the better
It can certainly rival some of our locals.

denguy

Post by denguy »

I rather agree, and I believe everyone in my neighbourhood must also agree since the LCBO here can seem to keep it in stock.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

denguy wrote:I rather agree, and I believe everyone in my neighbourhood must also agree since the LCBO here can seem to keep it in stock.
I just checked, and we've got it in St. Catharines at Glendale. I'll have to check it out tomorrow.

I'm going on your word that it's good, so if not we'll have to deduct the cost from the Volo cask tickets. :)

Haha! Hey Denguy.

(Andy)

Beer Wench

Post by Beer Wench »

Actually, I found this year's canned Deuchar's much less pleasing than in the past when it was supplied in bottles. That was my opinion, anyway. Perhaps it was just a bit of an anticlimax for me... it's never going to taste as good as when drawn from the cask in a busy Edinburgh pub, is it? I think here I'd rather pick up a local Ontario IPA - a growler from the Granite, for example, does the trick for me.
Cheers,
Beer Wench
Victory Cafe

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

The bitterness seems to be a bit artificial in this batch. I had to drink 4 cans in succession just to make sure, and it wasn't very nice!

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

This brew seems misnamed. Is is certainly a pleasant mellow mild pale ale for sessioning but it's really not an IPA by any stretch...I always thought of it as a mild Scottish pale...it is just on the right side of being mild as opposed to thin.

I noticed no discernable change in this years lot in cans...but my taster isn't as sensitive as some....I like this brew's mild rounded hoppiness but it's a tad pricey for what you get...stack it up against a county Durham signature and they are almost ringers in flavor profile.
Aventinus rules!

denguy

Post by denguy »

Well now, Pootz, I'll just have to go out and get the Durham Signature Ale for an assessment of my own.

jaymack

Post by jaymack »

From the can - nice colour and taste. I'm getting a biscuit but fruity essence to the taste.

A nice beverage I'd buy agagin... but tis nae a IPA.

mabel

Post by mabel »

Cask two weeks ago (in Oxford) -- grassy caramel base, some herbal toffee and what my brother swears were vanilla candy canes.
Can this week (in Toronto) -- wood citrus base with a hint of sweat and fruity yeast.

Based on the numbers, apparently I preferred the can... which is weird, re-reading my notes. The cask sounds more appealing.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Unlike the recent stella ethanol incident of recent deliberation, my can of deuchars ipa appears to have been filled with pure dihydrogen oxide.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

cannondale wrote:Unlike the recent stella ethanol incident of recent deliberation, my can of deuchars ipa appears to have been filled with pure dihydrogen oxide.
better watch out, i hear that stuff can kill you ;)

Raptor2023

Post by Raptor2023 »

I also heard if you aren't careful, it can drown you. Hahaha....

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I'm enjoying all these reasonably hoppy ales.

Yesterday I had the Great Lakes Pale, the Twisted Thistle, the Harviestoun Bitter & Twisted and the Deuchars IPA.

I think the Harviestoun was the most layered/complex, the Thistle also fairly big and citrus-pithy, the Deuchars somewhat milder but tasty (earthy with lemony hops), and the GL Pale (after these) seemed caramel malt heavy & in need of a few extra hops.

I felt the Deuchars' attractive earthiness was a legitimate flavor profile that is less successfully emulated by companies like Elora, Niagara Falls and Barley Days brewing.
In Beerum Veritas

mabel

Post by mabel »

grub wrote:
cannondale wrote:Unlike the recent stella ethanol incident of recent deliberation, my can of deuchars ipa appears to have been filled with pure dihydrogen oxide.
better watch out, i hear that stuff can kill you ;)
Hmm... Some 'internet research' provided me with the following laugh:
"DHMO (Dihydrogen Monoxide) is a constituent of many known toxic substances, diseases and disease-causing agents, environmental hazards and can even be lethal to humans in quantities as small as a thimbleful."

Ahh, thimblefuls of beeeer... Sigh. :wink: