Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Neustadt Scottish Pale Ale

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

matt7215 wrote:one of the most under-rated ontario brewers, the 10w30 is alway a good buy and the lager is a quality brew. the scottish ale didnt really do much for me but it wasnt bad in any way.
Could re-try it IME.

My take is, yes, these ARE all uner-rated beers in Ontario. Sometimes the Scot Ale doesn't grab me either way, sometimes it is REALLY fantastic - it could just be me though!

All Neustadt beer is not pasteurized so if you get hold of some extra-fresh cans of the Lager and the Scottish Ale, Neustadt has unreal flavor details and subtleties you will never get in a 'cooked' beer. You have to experience it directly to believe the difference.
In Beerum Veritas

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Belgian wrote:
matt7215 wrote:one of the most under-rated ontario brewers, the 10w30 is alway a good buy and the lager is a quality brew. the scottish ale didnt really do much for me but it wasnt bad in any way.
Could re-try it IME.

My take is, yes, these ARE all uner-rated beers in Ontario. Sometimes the Scot Ale doesn't grab me either way, sometimes it is REALLY fantastic - it could just be me though!

All Neustadt beer is not pasteurized so if you get hold of some extra-fresh cans of the Lager and the Scottish Ale, Neustadt has unreal flavor details and subtleties you will never get in a 'cooked' beer. You have to experience it directly to believe the difference.
I totally second that. The first time I had the Scottish Ale was in the bottles. I didn't realize until I got home that the pack was beyond its BB date. Not bad by any means, but it was pretty standard. Since then, I've been lucky enough a few times to pick up cans directly from the brewery and I was blown away......flavours so crisp and clean and distinctive. None of that sitting down to rate a beer and trying to figure out for ages what muddled flavours are mixed in there.

After every "fresh" Neustadt tasting I think to myself "why the hell don't these guys get more props?".