Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Petrus Old Bruin

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Petrus Old Bruin

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I decided to pick one up today while I was at work.

This is not sour at all. Like literally. It's sweet as hell, like a complete brown sugar bomb. I'm not getting any sour or tartness here, no wood, no smoke, no nothing. Just malts sugars. Has anyone else had one of these new bottles of this?
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

rudolf

Post by rudolf »

SteelbackGuy wrote:I decided to pick one up today while I was at work.

This is not sour at all. Like literally. It's sweet as hell, like a complete brown sugar bomb. I'm not getting any sour or tartness here, no wood, no smoke, no nothing. Just malts sugars. Has anyone else had one of these new bottles of this?
I had a bottle from the LCBO over the weekend. I too was disappointed with it. I've got a few bottles from Consumers in Buffalo sitting in the fridge - I'll crack one this weekend and compare.

-rudy

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

This beer seems to be different from bottle to bottle. The first one I have was very noticeably sour, with an almost red-wine like flavour to it. Then the second I had recently was a little sour, with a lot more of a yeasty ester flavour profile to it.

Weirdly inconsistent, but I liked it.

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

SteelbackGuy wrote:I decided to pick one up today while I was at work.

while i wouldn't say it's a sugar bomb, it's sure as hell sweeter than it was even just a year or two ago. too bad to see another decent beer get dumbed down.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

I looked forward to trying the Petrus on my visit to Winston's in Saskatoon this week. I've never tried one before, but as the poster above me said, "dumbed down," seems a fitting way to describe this beer. Quite a let down, as I love sour beers, yet they are hard to come by.

I then contemplated between a bottle of Delirium Tremens (Winston's is the only place you can find this beer in Alberta and Saskatchewan, same as the Petrus), but I've had it before, and they charge almost $10 for it. I instead opted to try their newest tap, which is Okanagan Spring Pale Ale. Another horrible beer - take a basic Cream Ale and cram it full of fruity esters. Gross. I couldn't finish it, and had to cleanse my palette with a sip of my wife's Sleeman Honey Brown.

At least the pint of Paddock Wood 606 I had for lunch at Calories was quite enjoyable. 606 is/was a decent American IPA/pale ale, but due to the hop shortage, the most recent batch was made with all english hops and a chunkier malt bill... a bit of a changeup, but a pleasant one.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

tuqueboy wrote: while i wouldn't say it's a sugar bomb, it's sure as hell sweeter than it was even just a year or two ago. too bad to see another decent beer get dumbed down.
I have a number of the year-or-two ago ones. They are not like Rodenbach or Goudenband in their acidity, but they sure have flemish sour character with some stoney cellar and old wood aromatics. These were the 250ml.

I also have a few 330ml from a year before that, from Premier. So with the 2008 now in stores PLUS my two stocks, I have a small vertical tasting here folks!

I think of Petrus as a more meduim body, fruity more "daily enjoyment" Flemish which still has the haracter. It's still well made, but can't comment on the 2008 till I try it. Perhaps Petrus mixed a greater proportion of young, sweet beer in the current batch of Oud Bruin to boost production volumes - wonder if some time will age away the sweetness a little. It's just not a beer that should be rush brewed in larger volumes.
In Beerum Veritas

rudolf

Post by rudolf »

rudolf wrote: I had a bottle from the LCBO over the weekend. I too was disappointed with it. I've got a few bottles from Consumers in Buffalo sitting in the fridge - I'll crack one this weekend and compare.

-rudy
I finally got around (erm, am currently getting around) to trying my bottle from consumers. It might be a bit more appropriate to the style than the recent bottle I had from the LCBO but overall its a appley, caramel mess. What a shame.

-rudy

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

My second bottle (drank two nights ago) was exactly the same as my first one. Sweet, caramel, no wood, no sour, no tart. A shame indeed.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!