Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

TRAFALGAR Oak Aged Rye

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

TRAFALGAR Oak Aged Rye

Post by Belgian »

Nice medium session ale finished with a touch of wood for a bit of dryness (rather than clobbered with huge oak tannins.)

Quite drinkable & nice value for a bomber ($3.95 -650ml) which is usually an expensive bottle format. How'd you guys find this one? What style do you think it roughly falls into (ESB or something along those lines?)

The "Rye" did not jump out at me so much, the beer just seemed more or less like a good British barley malt ale with a lingering pleasant hopping.
In Beerum Veritas

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

I'm hearing good and bad things about this one, but more good (for Trafalgar). I might try it some day, but I still feel strongly about not supporting this brewery.

Maybe this beer is the beginning of better stuff from them?

Raptor2023

Post by Raptor2023 »

JesseM wrote:I'm hearing good and bad things about this one, but more good (for Trafalgar). I might try it some day, but I still feel strongly about not supporting this brewery.

Maybe this beer is the beginning of better stuff from them?
You should try it as soon as possible, as time does bad things for this brewery's beers. I also enjoyed this beer - got it as soon as it was out.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

JesseM wrote:Maybe this beer is the beginning of better stuff from them?
In my experience, Trafalgar has always been capable of making good beer. Tasted fresh, most of their brands are decent at worst, and very good at best.

The problem is the lack of quality control that causes many of their bottled beers to turn into something resembling pickle juice after a few weeks on the LCBO shelves.

If they could sort this out, I think that the generally good quality of their beers when they first come off the line combined with their willingness to experiment with a lot of different styles could make them one of Ontario's better craft brewers. But for now, I still approach everything they release with trepidation.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I have had four bottles of the Oak Aged Rye at this point, and have really enjoyed every single one. It's the only Trafalgar product I've ever re-visited with enthusiasm.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Pretty good for the 'falg (as I am now calling them). We'll see if it holds up over time.

Still the same taste profile as all their beers, which I'm not fond of. The moment they make a successful Imperial anything and drown that house flavour with alcohol and hops, they might have something I'd buy...twice! :D

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

They do have that distinctive "house flavour," as Shintriad called it. If you've ever tried anything from Brasserie Schoune in Quebec, you may have noticed that same off-flavour. My question: What is it? It's not malt, and it's not hops, so . . . ? ? ?
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

The_Jester wrote:They do have that distinctive "house flavour," as Shintriad called it. If you've ever tried anything from Brasserie Schoune in Quebec, you may have noticed that same off-flavour. My question: What is it? It's not malt, and it's not hops, so . . . ? ? ?
I noticed that too, and I would love to hear someone explain what it is...

Another consistent flaw I get with a lot of beers is a metallic taste, although I hear that's something interacting with saliva. I wonder if that can be minimized, or if it's just me!

xocoatl

Post by xocoatl »

I decided to give this a try based on some of the positive reviews I have seen.

When I poured it, there was no head at all. Drinking it, I would say there was very little if any carbonation to it at all.

Is this normal for this beer?

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

I really enjoyed it surprisingly. It was the first of my spring haul to go, as a bit of a throwaway. I actually got quite a bit of Rye off it, but it was pleasant rather than that nasty, slightly oily taste I get off some Rye beers.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Yep. I thought it was decent, but I won't be picking any up after the end pf the month because of the limited shelf life these products seem to have in the unrefrigerated section. This is what I wrote about it on BA:

Trafalgar beers have been pretty hit and miss for me, but I'm always willing to give them a try because they show an admirable adventurousness that I can't help but respect. Curiosity justified...this is a solid ale. Pours a clear mahogany, with a quickly dissipating off-white head. Good level of carbonation evident, which is good, as this has been a flaw in some past brews. Aroma is slightly spicy, with brown sugar, and rye. Taste is a bit of vanilla, oak (not that strong), and the sort of spiciness wholesomeness I associate with a nice rye bread. Mouthfeel seems to suit the drink quite well, and it's eminently quaffable. Although nothing spectacular, the brewer should be very happy with this offering, and I could drink a few in an evening.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

[quote="shintriadMy question: What is it? It's not malt, and it's not hops, so . . . ? ? ?[/quote]

It's generally something that's literally living in the house (ie. Bacteria or wild yeast). Some of these creatures are able to slowly break down more complex sugars that regular yeast can't touch. So as time goes by, the concentration of byproducts increases.

A quick google turned up:
http://www.ratebeer.com/Story.asp?StoryID=462

I've got a two bottles of the Abbey Belgian spice ale in the cellar with over 2 years on them... could be an interesting 'wild' ale by now!