Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Young;s Double Chocolate

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Young;s Double Chocolate

Post by Belgian »

Bottles at LCBO. Holy chocolate, batman. At least Rogue Chocolate Stout reminds you it is essentially a good oatmeal stout with some nicely charred malt or barley making its presence felt..

The Young's bends perception of Stout Reality, with all those hops and dark malts artistically melded to the impression of semi-sweet chocolate goodness.. yes, cool liquid creamy chocolate in a glass... with a wicked smooth feel.

Comments?? I hope my first impression does not ruin yours, ha ha. Now you will say "I could hardly taste chocolate at all, what was Belgian talking about??" This might even be great with artisan ice cream or maybe the Framboise I bought at Mill Street...
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I've had 3 bottles since it came to the LCBO, and I haven't cared for it much. Seems a lot more artificial then when I had it last year.

It's really fake and not one I will get again.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Belgian wrote:Bottles at LCBO. Holy chocolate, batman. At least Rogue Chocolate Stout reminds you it is essentially a good oatmeal stout with some nicely charred malt or barley making its presence felt..

The Young's bends perception of Stout Reality, with all those hops and dark malts artistically melded to the impression of semi-sweet chocolate goodness.. yes, cool liquid creamy chocolate in a glass... with a wicked smooth feel.

Comments?? I hope my first impression does not ruin yours, ha ha. Now you will say "I could hardly taste chocolate at all, what was Belgian talking about??" This might even be great with artisan ice cream or maybe the Framboise I bought at Mill Street...
You do realise that it is actually real chocolate & chocolate essence in this stout that gives it it's chocolate flavour and feel, not the "hops and dark malts artistically melded to the impression of semi-sweet chocolate goodness.."? Pretty much the same way that the Rogue version is made.

If anything, the Young's has started to taste like the Rogue version with a slight Fry's Turkish Delight flavour in it now. Still a great drinking stout which can be enjoyed anytime of the year.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

I said it in another thread, but I'll repeat here - fantastic stout; when you go to add chocolate, you better have a decent stout already as a base and they do here - silky, perfectly chocolaty without slapping you in the face, and very drinkable. A long time favourite that I am thrilled we can now pick up regularly.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

It's been awhile since I've had one, but I like the aroma, not so much the taste. I agree with the person who said it tastes artificial.

And I prefer Rogue's Shakespeare Stout to their Chocolate Stout (which is just the Shakespeare stout plus chocolate flavouring added at bottling).

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

I just want to say BIG thumbs up and congrats to the LCBO on completely SHAFTING Waterloo Region on this beer! These sort of moronic mistakes don't just happen by themselves, and they should get the recognition they deserve! Someone must be trying really hard to accomplish these things and I applaud them!

:roll:

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

JesseM wrote:I just want to say BIG thumbs up and congrats to the LCBO on completely SHAFTING Waterloo Region on this beer! These sort of moronic mistakes don't just happen by themselves, and they should get the recognition they deserve! Someone must be trying really hard to accomplish these things and I applaud them!
Dude, you've gotta chill.

1) From the LCBO's inventory site, it looks like this beer is still rolling out. It might still show up in KW.
2) It's not "the LCBO" that's shafting you. It's "your LCBO". Product ordering is done at the local level (at least, that's how it's been explained to me). So if your local stores don't carry something, it's probably 'cause they don't think there's a market for it. Talk to the beer guy at your store.

-Josh

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

JesseM wrote:I just want to say BIG thumbs up and congrats to the LCBO on completely SHAFTING Waterloo Region on this beer! These sort of moronic mistakes don't just happen by themselves, and they should get the recognition they deserve! Someone must be trying really hard to accomplish these things and I applaud them!
:roll:
it's a general list release. it will get there soon.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

detritus wrote:

1) From the LCBO's inventory site, it looks like this beer is still rolling out. It might still show up in KW.
2) It's not "the LCBO" that's shafting you. It's "your LCBO". Product ordering is done at the local level (at least, that's how it's been explained to me). So if your local stores don't carry something, it's probably 'cause they don't think there's a market for it. Talk to the beer guy at your store.

-Josh
Dude, you gotta realize everything I post has a slight edge of humour to it and I'm never really that angry. :P

It's just that I've been checking the online inventory thing every day for I don't know how long, seeing it pop up everywhere but here. And now with this thread, you must be able to understand that it looked as if there was a strong possibility we were getting shafted.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

detritus wrote:

-Josh

That's right. Or at least for the most part. If it is a general list, the system will automatically generate an order for this product. That said, the beer person can change this, as they know what is coming before hand. If that beer person doesn't think it will sell, they will change the order. Usually this is the case. Sometimes though, they will allow to see how the first case sells and go from there.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Belgiam, will you stop posting a comment to me and then deleting it straight away. It's getting confusing now :D

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Torontoblue wrote:
You do realise that it is actually real chocolate & chocolate essence in this stout that gives it it's chocolate flavour and feel, not the "hops and dark malts artistically melded to the impression of semi-sweet chocolate goodness.."?
Sure, label says chocolate is added, I'm saying the hop bitterness and dark malts seem to enhance the overall total impression of slightly bitter chocolate. Maybe you didn't get what I meant.
markaberrant wrote:It's been awhile since I've had one, but I like the aroma, not so much the taste. I agree with the person who said it tastes artificial..
Well that's an actual point. There seem to be people who are definitely more into flavored beers, versus 'pure' ones.

Apparently you cannot add 'whole' confection chocolate to a brew because it has too much plant fat which would do horrible things in beer. So they add extracts or flavoring. I do not think this is a cop-out in terms of quality. But it isn't 'real' chocolate in that sense (ie with all the cocoa butter and milk ingredients that are in quality chocolate you would eat.)

The aroma of this stout reminds me of really nice cocoa powder for chocolate milk. Eating good chocolate is nice with stout, of course.
In Beerum Veritas

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

After only 1 bottle I have to say it hasn't lived up to expectations yet. I really enjoyed the Rogue Choc Stout and have loved he Black Oak Souble Choc Cherry.
The bottle I had of this wasn't 'silky smooth' as some might say. Chocolately yes, but it had a bit more bitterness than expected. Bitterness is probably the wrong word?
Overall good, but I'd take the Rogue or Black Oak over it. Have two more bottles so my perception may change.

xocoatl

Post by xocoatl »

I don't think the online inventory is 100% accurate. I picked up a bottle of the youngs double choc stout at the Kitchener store (river/ottawa).

Maybe try giving a few stores a call.

Illuminatus

Post by Illuminatus »

detritus wrote:2) It's not "the LCBO" that's shafting you. It's "your LCBO". Product ordering is done at the local level (at least, that's how it's been explained to me). So if your local stores don't carry something, it's probably 'cause they don't think there's a market for it. Talk to the beer guy at your store.
Of course, now I have to wonder why there's more of a market for chocolate stout in Timmins than there is in KW... :P