Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Wellington Arkell

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Malcolm

Wellington Arkell

Post by Malcolm »

I'm wondering if anybody has noticed a difference in the Arkell lately? About 6 months ago I noticed a drop-off in the usual refreshing slight hop presence, and a turn toward bland. I'm talking specifically about the cask version. Last week I tried a pint at C'est What right after the cask had been changed, and had to send it back after experiencing a really nasty nose and chemical taste.
This beer was my first foray into craft beer offerings, and I'm kind of disappointed that Wellington seems to have altered the recipe.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Funny you should mention that - a month or so ago I was at C'est What and one of my table-mates ordered the Arkell on cask. I'm not sure if the cask was off or what, but the beer was very unpleasant, and had a sour/chemical mix that was not nice - certainly different from any other time I've had it. I've never found Arkell all that spectacular to begin with, but this pint was awful. Interesting to see that you had a nearly identical experience.....

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I had it recently in Guelph (draught) and thought they must have brought me the Trailhead Lager instead! Strange feel to it and some odd flavor notes.

It was enjoyable enough to drink but I felt here's an ale that wants to play it safe with lager fans.

I like some Welly beers. Stout freaks don't seem to rave about the Imperial Stout - strangely it is largely forgotten - but it is a very decent beer of character, as is the Iron Duke Strong Ale.
In Beerum Veritas

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Totally agree with you there. Iron Duke and the Imperial Stout are 2 of my faves. The stout probably gets ignored because it's so hard to find. Welly doesn't bottle it and will only produce it in cask form.

I'll probably give the Arkell another shot tonight - I'll be at Feathers for a whiskey tasting and I believe they have it on cask there.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

They don't just make it in casks actually, it's still available on draught at some places (The Castle on King in Kitchener has it as a staple). I had it from a cask recently, and thought it was decent, but nothing all that great. I haven't had the Iron Duke in a while, and passed up the chance to have it from a cask one time at the Castle, which I'm sort of regretting.

I'm very upset to hear that Arkell seems to have changed for the worse. It used to be one of my absolute favourite session brews. It was so simply delicious, and very refreshing. I'm afraid Wellington seems to be changing in general. My theory is that Trail head sells so well, they're becoming too attached to the boring lager crowd, as sadly, that's where most of the money is. I used to love the County ale as well, but since it's been put in cans, it's really seemed unpleasant to me. The SPA was also downright awful the last time I had it. It's a shame, I used to be such a huge fan of this brewery :cry: .

Immotius

Post by Immotius »

The Arkell in bottles seemed a bit off too. Also one of my favourites. I didn't check the due dates on the bottles, but I don't think it was old. It had less flavour and now seemed to have a very tiny, but noticible hint of long-chain hydrocarbon (gasoline, detergent?).

Maybe they're cutting corners. Beer ingredients have skyrocketed in price, and Arkell is very affordable. I'd rather they raise the price a bit than reduce quality.
Bow to me, I am the divine Ambrose.