Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

SteelbackGuy wrote:While I can appreciate the feelings that some might have towards LCBO employees, and the seemingly endless level of incompetence that most us apparently have, please keep in mind that some of us ACTUALLY work hard, and work hard to bring the beer out ASAP. Like uhhh me for example.

You can bash and complain, as per usual, but most of you have no idea how a store operates. Please don't make assumptions.

As a rule, the sooner a product gets to the shelf, the sooner we can sell it, and that means a healthier bottom line for the store, and a happy manager.

I hope most of you realize that we have thousands of products in a store, meaning thousands of SKUS. Do you expect every employee to know every product? Fuck that.

I sympathize with the cause, as I am a fellow bartoweller and craft beer lover, and I have the same frustrations, but I am sick of the generalizing that goes on here, painting all LCBO employees as fucking useless monkeys. Smarten up.
Len, don't worry, believe it or not I am aware that they aren't all bad, and there are ones like you. In fact, in my area, despite not knowing a single thing about beer, they usually are quite friendly, and I'm never able to relate to stories told here of dissmissive or stand-offish employee's. I just mentioned my experience because it was similar to Belgian's, and I've never had to wait so long for them to find a product before. It wasn't really a major complaint. But I can see how one would interpret me as whinning, given the natural reaction that followed a story about employee's not knowing a product exists (although in this case it was the manager who didn't seem to believe it existed).

Also, I can sympathize with you in terms of your job recieving no respect from anyone. I worked at a Tim Horton's for a long time. If you want to be disrespected and looked down upon by every level of society, especially the "lower echelons" for some reason, work for a Tim Horton's. I actually get slightly nauseous when people tell me I should go back.

The store I go to most often in Uptown Waterloo is probably the worst in my area for a number of things, and recently even their selection has been not quite what it used to be, despite being the big trendy location around here that's supposed to have stuff not sold at any other store in the KW-hole. It's the only store I ever really complain about, as all the other ones I go to, I'm met by at least quasey friendly and helpful service (not that Uptown Waterloo has particularly unfriendly employee's, because it doesn't really).

It's hard not take the constant shots to your employer personally, in fact it's more or less impossible in my view. But I'm willing to bet you're probably one of the very best LCBO employee's out there, because when you think about it, you represent both worlds, the beauacracy, and the geeks. 8) I don't think many LCBO employee's can make that claim.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

JesseM wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:While I can appreciate the feelings that some might have towards LCBO employees, and the seemingly endless level of incompetence that most us apparently have, please keep in mind that some of us ACTUALLY work hard, and work hard to bring the beer out ASAP. Like uhhh me for example.

You can bash and complain, as per usual, but most of you have no idea how a store operates. Please don't make assumptions.

As a rule, the sooner a product gets to the shelf, the sooner we can sell it, and that means a healthier bottom line for the store, and a happy manager.

I hope most of you realize that we have thousands of products in a store, meaning thousands of SKUS. Do you expect every employee to know every product? Fuck that.

I sympathize with the cause, as I am a fellow bartoweller and craft beer lover, and I have the same frustrations, but I am sick of the generalizing that goes on here, painting all LCBO employees as fucking useless monkeys. Smarten up.
Len, don't worry, believe it or not I am aware that they aren't all bad, and there are ones like you. In fact, in my area, despite not knowing a single thing about beer, they usually are quite friendly, and I'm never able to relate to stories told here of dissmissive or stand-offish employee's. I just mentioned my experience because it was similar to Belgian's, and I've never had to wait so long for them to find a product before. It wasn't really a major complaint. But I can see how one would interpret me as whinning, given the natural reaction that followed a story about employee's not knowing a product exists (although in this case it was the manager who didn't seem to believe it existed).

Also, I can sympathize with you in terms of your job recieving no respect from anyone. I worked at a Tim Horton's for a long time. If you want to be disrespected and looked down upon by every level of society, especially the "lower echelons" for some reason, work for a Tim Horton's. I actually get slightly nauseous when people tell me I should go back.

The store I go to most often in Uptown Waterloo is probably the worst in my area for a number of things, and recently even their selection has been not quite what it used to be, despite being the big trendy location around here that's supposed to have stuff not sold at any other store in the KW-hole. It's the only store I ever really complain about, as all the other ones I go to, I'm met by at least quasey friendly and helpful service (not that Uptown Waterloo has particularly unfriendly employee's, because it doesn't really).

It's hard not take the constant shots to your employer personally, in fact it's more or less impossible in my view. But I'm willing to bet you're probably one of the very best LCBO employee's out there, because when you think about it, you represent both worlds, the beauacracy, and the geeks. 8) I don't think many LCBO employee's can make that claim.

I understand Jesse, no worries. I just dont want to be painted with the same brush. IF you shopped at my store, you'd have all the beer you wanted right away. In fact, I usually bring all the good beer in the city to my store when there isn't any in the city, and I will pull it from other districts.

And who would tell you to go back to Timmies? That's insanity.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

Weihenstephaner article from today's Toronto Star:

http://www.thestar.com/article/436332
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

sphilp

Post by sphilp »

Just an update, I had 2 bottles left from by initial purchase. I just cracked one of them and I think its improved quite a bit over the last three months. My main complaint originally was the very strong yeast flavour, but that seems to be subdued now. I'm getting more of the fruit/spice that you'd expect from a wheat beer.

I'll leave the last bottle for another couple of months and see what happens.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Why am I drudging up this old thread, you may wonder?

Weihenstephaner is now at the Beer Store.

Apologies if this is already known. They had a whole bunch in the cooler at the location by Summerhill.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bobsy wrote:
Weihenstephaner is now at the Beer Store.
And TBS are my favorite source of fresh, well-cared-for products. YAY!

All seriousness aside, I will try to grab some from a good walk-in location like Spadina-Bloor. Thanks! :)
In Beerum Veritas

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Belgian wrote: And TBS are my favorite source of fresh, well-cared-for products. YAY!

All seriousness aside, I will try to grab some from a good walk-in location like Spadina-Bloor. Thanks! :)
It can sit there for quite some time, but right now you know they're fresh, and they are refrigerated. And they are pasteurized, which is a double-edged sword. Maybe it keeps better, but it's just a shadow of itself... but the hefe really doesn't taste right.

Strange timing though. I think even non-beer-geeks would be more likely to pick up a wheat beer in the summer.

Now I could really use some Korbinian at this time of year! :D

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

You know Derek you're right - I think even the EdelWeisse from summer 2007 had more of a 'Fresh on Tap" flavor than the Weihenstephaner of this past summer 2008. Even the new Grolsch surpassed it, and I know Grolsch didn't USED to pasteurize (not the bottles anyway.)

I agree Weizen can be very all-or-nothing, either the flavor is right there, or it's not. The WS from the summer just was not that great and I returned most of my case.

What a funny, elusive thing is good Weizen...
In Beerum Veritas

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Belgian wrote: I agree Weizen can be very all-or-nothing, either the flavor is right there, or it's not. The WS from the summer just was not that great and I returned most of my case.

What a funny, elusive thing is good Weizen...
I drank all of mine... but I carefully decanted them off of the yeast sediment.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I will gladly pick some of this up for the winter months. Wheats are my favourite, especially hefes. As an aside to this, bacon is quite tasty too.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!