Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Rogue Dead Guy

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Rogue Dead Guy

Post by esprit »

Spent a couple of days in NYC with a buddy...saw one of the best shows I have seen in my life...Randy Bachman at B.B. King's...he is an incredibly personable human being and a great performer...I was shocked as I didn't expect much from the show but Randy, on Canada Day, made our country proud in NYC. The one beer stop in 2 days was Ginger Man and Dead Guy on tap...nice....Then it was off to Coney Island (my first visit) and an authentic Nathan's dog and a Killian's Red...then a stroll through Little Odessa in Brighton Beach and munching on various delicacies (It's great to be able to read Cyrillic, being the Ukie that I am).

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I'm really digging the dead guy right now. I've never seen the character of a beer change so prolifically with temperature. Its wonderful malt character really shows the high quality of Rogue's ingredients.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

This is one great beer. Perfectly balanced. Fantastic malt that alternates between granier flavours and your standard caramel and honey flavours. Interwoven perfectly with the hops... what hops are we talking about here? I can't quite place them, very aromatic but whatever is used for the bittering really gives a kick in the finish.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Bytowner wrote:This is one great beer. Perfectly balanced. Fantastic malt that alternates between granier flavours and your standard caramel and honey flavours. Interwoven perfectly with the hops... what hops are we talking about here? I can't quite place them, very aromatic but whatever is used for the bittering really gives a kick in the finish.
I know exactly what you are talking about. I couldn't place the mix of hops either, so I had to check out the Rogue website. Said that the hops are Saaz and Perle. On a second bottle I thought I could pick out the Saaz in the aroma, but that little extra you are talking about might be the perle, as it is both an aromatic and a bittering strain. They seem a little more subtle than say more agressive casacde or a chinook hops. I don't know if I could smell or taste another beer with perle hops in it and say "ah, those must be perle hops!" but they definitely add to the complexity of Dead Guy. The mixes of malts and hops that Rogue uses consistently blow me away and are a testament to the quality of beer these guys produce.

My fave summer/American micro LCBO release this year.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I still don't understand the draw to this beer. When it was the Maier Bock it flopped, but the "Dead Guy" is popular.

I'm not overly fond of Saaz, so perhaps that's why it just doesn't do it for me.
I do like the the herbaceous perle though.