Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Stuarts Session Ale SCOTCH IRISH

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Stuarts Session Ale SCOTCH IRISH

Post by Belgian »

Certainly is a session ale. Gawd this is nice. The malts have a hint of bite and bit of fruit in the taste, overall VERY smooth and tasty. Low bitterness but elegant signature of hops over it. I like the yeast aroma, and how the whole package ties together without too much of anything sticking out.

Props to the Heritage lads, this is very good on this particular bottling & the first time I tried it (was surprised the LCBO shelves had this new item to quench my summery thirst.)
In Beerum Veritas

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Which store did you find this at? I've been looking for it since mid-June, but the only locations where it is available are in the Ottawa-Kingston area (according to the not-always-reliable LCBO online inventory).

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

There are two stores in Kingston, got it at Barrack Street (or wait no the other one out by WalMart, she said the brewer was in dropping off beer?!?!?

Delightful surprise, I rec drinking 2-3 of these at once cold on a hot sunny day. Has kind of a lemon overtone. Beaut.
In Beerum Veritas

Al of Kingston

Post by Al of Kingston »

I had a few this weekend, too. A really great addition to the eastern Ontario beer menu.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Is Perry completely gone from Scotch Irish or was it he that dropped these off? It just seems MOL like something he would create!

I believe I really do like genuine, low-ABV unpasteurized session bitters like this one. I could drink this style in a pub all afternoon & still walk home.
In Beerum Veritas

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

Belgian wrote:Is Perry completely gone from Scotch Irish or was it he that dropped these off? It just seems MOL like something he would create!
Perry is no longer at Heritage Brewing. I'd be surprised if he didn't create the recipe, but quite unlikely he dropped them off.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Last time I had the Stuarts I found it thin and bland, but it was at a wine show and I think it was served ice-cold. I'll have to pick one up soon. They have it at my local store, but they haven't put it out and I am so finished with asking them to bring stuff out for me. The dirty looks just aren't worth it.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

They have this one on tap at the Castle on a somewhat regular basis. I've only ever had it there, while Perry was still with Heritage. In fact, I posted a thread about this very beer a little while back in this same section. It really is a great one, I thought it had a very similar malt character to the Sgt. Major, just without the hops of course. You could drink boatloads of this stuff. I can't wait to get it here in KW in bottle-form from the LCBO.

Beer Geek

Post by Beer Geek »

The Castle has it on cask right now. I only had a sample, but it was very nice, kind of a sour wine taste that leaves as quickly as it comes. Very nice brew.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I got through ten of these in a couple days, hoo boy...
In Beerum Veritas

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

You're right Belgium, this is very... uh... sessionable. Although I think I'll stand by my original assessment, I could use some more fruit, it seems rather grainy for an English Bitter.

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

An excellent English-style ordinary. Not as full in taste as the Brakspear but as English in its way. Two peas in a pod for quality (not similarity of flavour) at a modest ABV.

Reminded me of the bitter from an early microbrewery in Newmarket. (The label showed a red-clad colonial-style soldier). It should be great on cask.

Gary

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Had one last night while watching Princess Mononoke. Awesome beer. It should dispel any myths that lower abv beer is less flavourful. Perfect for sessioning!

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Here's my review:

Pours a golden body with a compact white head that leaves a small amount of lacing. Grainy, slightly floral aroma along with some grass - like a roll in the hay with the farmer's daughter. Good floral malt body rounded off with grassy English hopping. Packs a good amount of flavour into its 3.7% form and should dispel notions that lighter beers are also light in flavour. Sole criticism is that every now and then I notice a split second metallic taste on taking a sip, but it quickly dissipates. Mouthfeel is medium-light, as is the carbonation. Drinkability is out of the park - absolutely perfect.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Had this from a Cask today at the Castle. Weird, weird stuff. Almost like a sour ale, but not in a good way. It was still decent, but bore absolutely ZERO resemblance to the regular tapped version I've had before and greatly enjoyed. The bottled version still has yet to hit anywhere near KW-Cambridge.