Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Cobra

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

old faithful
Bar Fly

Cobra

Post by old faithful »

This is one of those lagers with an Asian background (I believe) but which is brewed in England. The labelling makes no express references to India and states clearly it is brewed in London. There is some imagery on it (a design or a foreign language, I couldn't tell) which suggests some connection to the Far East, but that's about it.

And that's fine with me because if it is brewed in England, I consider it an English beer whatever its heritage.

And this Cobra, packaged about 8 weeks ago (the label is clear on this and I double-checked!) is top quality.

It reminded me of English draught lagers at their best. Sure, draught lager is not the first choice of the beer connoisseur there or here (excepting perhaps lagers from Czech Republic). But sometimes it makes a nice change from bitter, and also this kind of beer suits food well.

This Cobra had a good malt sweetness with a firm hop background, one which lent a drying effect rather than a strongly bitter one. Still, light bitterness hangs on the back palate after a sip.

The malt and hop tastes are well-integrated and the yeast used seems to tie them together very well, it isn't a fruity yeast and one I find hard to describe but which suits the beer very well.

I found it ideal after a two hour bike ride and much better than our commercial norm.

I have found in general that the beers packaged in England (cans too) have much improved in the last few years. Probably it is a combination of better bottling and canning lines and faster shipment to our shores.

But certain beers just have the right (i.e., a true beer) taste, and this is one of them.

Gary

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

where did you acquired said beer?

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

I saw some at Cooper St last night.
lister

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

Summerhill.

Gary

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

I picked up a bottle of this the other day, but I haven't tried it yet.

I wasn't expecting much, especially considering that the label proudly mentions rice and maize as ingredients. Sounds like I might be surprised, though.

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

I saw the adjunct list too, but adjunct of itself is not fatal to a good beer. This beer just has the round, true taste of beer!

Gary

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

This is some weak ass beer. Had one tonight at a work tasting, then had another just to make sure when I got in. Fully weak. No reason to pick this one up other than to try it once.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

If this is the true taste of beer then I may switch back to scotch. Wasn't quite a sink pour, but it was as underwhelming as a Ryan Hollweg essay on sportsmanship.
SteelbackGuy wrote:This is some weak ass beer. Had one tonight at a work tasting, then had another just to make sure when I got in. Fully weak. No reason to pick this one up other than to try it once.

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

Obviously different opinions. As a fan of some fairly intense and forceful beer styles, I can still admire a Cobra for being well-brewed and having a good taste even while not strongly assertive.

A taxonomy for beers I sometimes use:

- assertive beers that aren't brewed correctly IMO

- assertive brews that are brewed well (to a good recipe, that is) but are oxidised or otherwise defective when you get them

- assertive brews that taste great and reach you in the right condition

- less highly flavoured beers that just don't taste right to me (a number of Euro lagers for example) even when fresh and not mishandled

- less highly flavoured beers that have an attractive flavour that are mishandled

- less highly flavoured beers that have an attractive flavour that reach you in excellent condition.

Depending on time and mood I try to stick with nos. 3 and 6.

Gary