Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Corporal's Bitter Brown

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Corporal's Bitter Brown

Post by Bytowner »

Corporal's and Black Irish have hit the shelves in O-Town. I can't remember whether I've had the Brown before, I'm sure I have, but my memory escapes me. Anyways, this LCBO batch is lovely. A nice english bitterness with a really good nuttiness and slightly roasty character. Good stuff this, I like it when Scotch Irish gets things right.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bytowner wrote:Corporal's and Black Irish have hit the shelves in O-Town. I can't remember whether I've had the Brown before, I'm sure I have, but my memory escapes me. Anyways, this LCBO batch is lovely. A nice english bitterness with a really good nuttiness and slightly roasty character. Good stuff this, I like it when Scotch Irish gets things right.
You likely mean 'when Heritage gets Scotch Irish stuff right.' :)

I agree, they do fare well in carrying on some of Perry's recipes (the Imperial Stout, Porter, Ordinary Bitter and going by what you say, the Brown as well.) Good local beer is a real joy.

Cheers BT!
In Beerum Veritas

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Correct.

The Black Irish is as tasty as last year as well.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Good stuff. I like "Black Irish" a little better than the Harvey's - but did not see it today.

I have got some Corporal's Bitter Brown chilling in the fridge to open right now though.

-- update -- had a few, it is a pretty decent Brown with some hop edge - I like it better than a few years ago on draught. I REALLY like the most recent version of Stuarts and Black Irish just as styles.
Last edited by Belgian on Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Maybe it's the condition of the beer or the condition of my palate, but I'm drinking the Black Irish Plain Porter right now and I'm not liking it as much as I did in May 2006 when I rated it 3.7 of 5.

Seems a bit thinner, a bit more sour, with a lot less of the smoky, dark-chocolate malt characteristics I noted two years ago. It's not that bad, but it feels like it's missing something. Perhaps a certain master's touch.

Al of Kingston

Post by Al of Kingston »

I had my first Corporal's Brown last night and the new stock is Kingston - from the cooler no less - is already well on its way to being fouled by souring. Likely the last beer I will buy from the brewer given the state of their unintentionally Belgian offerings.

robinvboyer

Post by robinvboyer »

I had a bottle of the john by from my stash a couple days ago, and it's way past gone. It was thin, and sour. I'm glad i've only got 2 left not 22.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

That's strange. The original Tsarina batch was also partially cursed by a few infected bottles, AKA "this tastes kinda like RIS with sour milk from a dirty ash-tray'.

Gives a new meaning to 'Seasonal" beers I guess.. I've had horseshoes up the yin-yang with Heritage so far (apparently) but if I find ANY product bad, I return it - opened, partial bottle, old or whatever. You might return the bad '07 John By (either on last year's receipt or else be sneaky using the receipt of your NEXT purchase..)
In Beerum Veritas

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

Al of Kingston wrote:I had my first Corporal's Brown last night and the new stock is Kingston - from the cooler no less - is already well on its way to being fouled by souring. Likely the last beer I will buy from the brewer given the state of their unintentionally Belgian offerings.
that's too bad. the version at cask days was lovely. great earthy english hops, and a decent amount of bitterness.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Sorry to be a Debbie-Downer, but to be honest, the Corporal is the only Heritage product that hasn't totally sucked for me. Something is either lost on the stuff as it travels down to the KW, or it's just poorly made crap. I was pretty disappointed in the Black Irish Plain Porter, seemed like a more watery version of its former self. And the Stuart's is just awful every time I have it now in every format. Sour, and as if they let loose the dog on the label in the fermenting tanks for a swim. That is my bizarre assessment of it.

And I'm not just bashing on Heritage just for the sake of bashing on them, the stuff I've had lately other than the Corporal Bitter Brown has been just really unimpressive. This is my experience. Now, if only we could get some Beau's down here :( .

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JesseM wrote:
I was pretty disappointed in the Black Irish Plain Porter, seemed like a more watery version of its former self...
Lighter flavors and aroma, less body, bringing forward more sourness and odd overtones. Not bad, just not as great as the last version.
In Beerum Veritas

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

Al of Kingston wrote:I had my first Corporal's Brown last night and the new stock is Kingston - from the cooler no less - is already well on its way to being fouled by souring. Likely the last beer I will buy from the brewer.
Would it be cruel to call them Trafalgar East?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

tuqueboy wrote:
Al of Kingston wrote:I had my first Corporal's Brown last night and the new stock is Kingston - from the cooler no less - is already well on its way to being fouled by souring. Likely the last beer I will buy from the brewer.
Would it be cruel to call them Trafalgar East?

I'd say accurate.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Al of Kingston

Post by Al of Kingston »

Having not invested in Trafalgar's product in recent years, I can only take your word on that. I am more disappointed in the LCBO - what with that magnificent laboratory of theirs and all - and how they can't figure out how not to shelve the equivalent of moldy bread.

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

JesseM wrote:I was pretty disappointed in the Black Irish Plain Porter, seemed like a more watery version of its former self. And the Stuart's is just awful every time I have it now in every format. Sour, and as if they let loose the dog on the label in the fermenting tanks for a swim. That is my bizarre assessment of it.
Funny, I was reminded by that Simpsons scene as well:

MOE: All right, here you go. Red Tick Beer.

(Homer takes a swig.)

HOMER: Mmm. Bold, refreshing, and something I can't put my finger on.

[Cut to the Red Tick Beer Brewery. Three dogs are swimming around in the beer. A man tastes it.]

BREWER: Mmm...needs more dog.