Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Post Road Pumpkin

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post Road Pumpkin

Post by Bytowner »

I'm really starting to enjoy pumpkin ales. I think this one is closer to the Great Lakes offering, it has that thinnish, slightly metallic body. Whereas the two other offerings lean towards the sweeter side, the Brooklyn brew is a bit spicier and alot hoppier. Interesting resiny bitterness and slightly drying. Very good.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

I whole-heatedly agree. This stuff is awesome. By far the hoppiest pumpkin ale I've had, and everything just works so well together. I also love the malt body to it. Delicious 8) .

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

A nice beer to be sure. Lots of spice, quite creamy, and the hops are there.

As Jesse mentions, the hoppiest he has had in a pumpkin ale, and I attribute that to the metallic twang people have talked about.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

If you're looking for this one in the downtown area, the only location that seems to have it in stock (at least according to the online inventory) is Spadina & Dundas. I grabbed a couple of bottles there at lunch today, and there were about a half-dozen still on the shelf.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Picked up a few in Aurora. Definitely the hoppiest of the bunch I've had this fall (Had Great Lakes, St Ambroise and Grand River) I think all 4 have been "on" this year. It wouldn't take much effort to down 6 of these.

Queef

Post by Queef »

sipping on one right now. fantastic. second best I've had thus far, as my favorite is still the Saranac, although I haven't had any this year.
it's beer o'clock.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

** edit ** Brooklyn Post Road is at COOPER ST,
and St. Amby is still showing up in a few places. Good luck with that one.
Last edited by Belgian on Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

There was lots at the St. Clair West LCBO last night (the one next to the subway of that name).

Best pumpkin I had was a winy Weyerbacher at Gingerman in NYC recently. It didn't overdo the spices and resolved to a winy, estery richness. Quite something. Imperial Pumpkin it was called (circa 8% ABV) and justly so.

Gary

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

I've now tried Post Road and agree it is excellent, it reminds me somewhat of that Weyerbacher in fact, a lower-gravity version.

It says on the label Brooklyn Brewery and "Utica", so I assume it is made by FX Matt for Brooklyn Brewery at the historic brewery in Utica (well-worth visiting if anyone gets the chance, it is a handsome Victorian-era pile).

I'll have to pick up some more tonight - if any is still there.

Gary

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I thought the post road was more drinkable than the St. Ambrois, but still preferred our locals.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

I found the Post Road differnt from McAuslan but for bottled versions both were pretty flavourful and decent for the style.
Aventinus rules!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I took the trouble to stop off at Bell Boulevard location, and they deny that the web-listed 6x4-packs of Citrouille are or should be there.

Happy Halloween anyways, McAuslan Brewery & thanks for vainly attempting to reach our market.
In Beerum Veritas

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Didn't mind this - it is certainly hoppy - but I prefer both Great Lakes and Grand River by a fair margin, with this third and St. Ambroise last. BTW, there was lots of Post Road at Yonge and Finch this weekend.

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

midlife crisis wrote:Didn't mind this - it is certainly hoppy - but I prefer both Great Lakes and Grand River by a fair margin, with this third and St. Ambroise last. BTW, there was lots of Post Road at Yonge and Finch this weekend.
I agree with your ranking, though haven't had this years GR. Great Lakes really surprised me!

Illuminatus

Post by Illuminatus »

Maybe my taste buds were off, but I could barely detect any notes of pumpkin. It did an excellent job of avoiding being cloyingly sweet, I must say.