Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

HogTownHarry

Post by HogTownHarry »

The Brit beer geeks slag the SS products all the time (pasteurized! shudder!!!) but I love them - there's a lovely fruity house character to their darker offerings I really love, and the Imperial can mutate gloriously after a year or two - I have 8-9 bottles left from the case I got the last time it was at the LCBO a couple of years ago, and they get very "dark fruity" indeed - lovely!

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

JesseM wrote:I can't wait to try the Winter Welcome ale when it arrives (I passed on it last year).
You're going to have to wait another year (at least). Peter explained in the LCBO Winter Warmer release thread that for the first time in a long time, the LCBO inexplicably passed on this one.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Oh yeah that's right, I forgot. Damn. Ah well, I'll console myself with the Schloss Eggenberg Dopplebock Dunkel.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

So I gave this beer another shot last night. It was like night and day. The first 2 bottles were purchased in Saskatoon, the most recent 3 were purchased in Regina. It shouldn't make much difference, they all come from a single warehouse, but the Regina bottle was superb.

Thanks to all who posted in this thread, it certainly gave me the impetus to re-assess this beer.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Anyone know how well and long this beer will keep in less than ideal conditions of around 70F? For most imperial stouts I would expect them to last a year at the VERY least, but the lower ABV on this one is throwing me a little?

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

Excellent rich stout which has been quite consistent over the years. I find the Sam Smith approach to brewing best exemplified in this beer with its appetizing yeast background and big malt and hop flavour. Sets the standard and then some for fine strong stout.

Gary

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

How do you decipher the date code on these bottles?

(I'm wondering how old my cellared ones are).

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Derek wrote:How do you decipher the date code on these bottles?

(I'm wondering how old my cellared ones are).
I couldn't figure it out, but I emailed the importer and they told me the bottling date of my bottles (but not the formula for figuring it out myself).

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Right now I'm drinking a "SI14A1" from the last LCBO release. It's pretty smooth & mellow, though the alcohol is still a little pronounced. It doesn't seem as roasty/stouty though.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Saskatchewan got several SS beers in last spring. When the importers got back to me with the bottled date of the RIS, it was summer 06. I'd like to know where the hell those beers had been sitting for 18-21 months before they got dumped on us clueless prairie hicks... in this case, it's a good thing SS pasteurizes, because the beer was in excellent shape.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

The Ontario batch of IS was brewed in the latter half of this year. You will note that there is a Canadian back label which means that these are specifically brewed for LCBO orders. The Saskatchewan order likely came from their U.S. distributor who has taken over all of Canada with the exception of Ontario and is probably shipping from their U.S. west coast warehouse.