Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

St. Peter's Ruby Red

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

St. Peter's Ruby Red

Post by Bytowner »

Awesome.

A beautiful dark amber, big thick creamy head with great spiderweb lacings.

Toffee and Goldings on the nose.

Fantastic biscuity backbone with a just-enough spicyness from the Goldings and a subtle bitterness. Body is amazing. So creamy for the style but incredibly drinkable.

PLEASE get us this in single bottles PLEASE.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

We've ptiched it to the LCBO twice for seasonal purchases and it has been rejecged. The only reason it's in the gift box is the LCBO let us decide what to put in it as we could have used any of St. Peter's beers and we were really impressed with this one and thought we could at the very least bring some in the box. We'll keep trying though as this is one of their newest beers and a great effort IMHO.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

The St Peter's beers are really consistently outstanding, aren't they? Every one we've been fortunate enough to get has been great. The Cream Stout that has just come in is sublime.

Vet_Fuel

Post by Vet_Fuel »

I have never tasted a St Peter's beer I didn't love. I had the Ruby Red and the IPA last night and both were excellent.

Peter, if you ever decide to do a consignment order on any of their product count me in. (and I'd love to see the Sam Smith IPA as well)

I wait patiently every year for the Samuel Smith Gift pack as it my only chance to have their awesome oatmeal stout. My beer glass shelf is full of Sam Smith tulips...

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

This stuff is fantastic. I'd be willing to twist arms personally to have the LCBO bring this in on a regular basis. Until then here's hoping everyone I know gets me at least 1 St Peters gift pack.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Another nod for this being fantastic. I'll be picking up another St Peters gift pack just because of the Ruby Red. I can't think of many (any?) beers at the LCBO on the lower ABV end of the spectrum that are as tasty as this. The IPA was tasty too, but this was tops.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

midlife crisis wrote:The St Peter's beers are really consistently outstanding, aren't they?
For years I did not think so (I found them merely "okay" for the cost) but I'm da big fan now - these beers seem to me much more 'alive' than most other British imports. When they're fresh, St. Peters ales have a layered complexity with NICE fruit and malt tones.

Even the Organic English Ale was first rate. I'm glad to see THREE more well-chosen examples that I wasn't even expecting. :D
In Beerum Veritas

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

If anyone happens to find themselves in London (UK) be sure to check out the Jerusalem Tavern. It's the London pub of St Peter's and they have a whole bunch of their beers available on tap. Cool place.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

I really enjoyed the "ruby red" nice twist on an ESB....touch of dark amber malt caramel to this to mellow it. Very approachable and sessionable, wish it was available all year along with the scrumptious cream stout (my favorite SP's brew).

Don't have much to say about the SP IPA..really a let down...I gues every brewer has a dud. This brew had a lot of medicinal sharp pointless bitterness like the kent goldings were over boiled or something..lacked the balance I like in an IPA.

Ruby red...2 thumbs up

Cream stout...4 thumbs up :wink:
Aventinus rules!

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Iagree 100% on the IPA pootz. I was looking forward to an English IPA with a really nice malt backbone but instead I just got dishsoap hops. It was a strange one.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

this was one gift pack i wasnt goin to purchase but after reading the reveiws for this one here on BT im going out to pick one up tonight. plus i never say no to a new glass :lol:

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Hey guys. I really liked both of these beers. I like the medicinal bitter-resiny hops in the IPA, go figure (works for Orval!). The Ruby Red (cute name) has a very comforting, session-worthy appeal to it.
In Beerum Veritas

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

This is actually hands down one of the best all-around beers I think I've ever had. Everything works so damn well, I find it perfectly balanced. Startlingly delicious. I had high expectations from the other reviews, and it defintely lived up. If we could get this on its own in a seasonal release that would just be absolutely awesome!

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

I find this quite similar to the IPA, a tad softer maybe but with the same structure.

Gary

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

i picked up the gift pack a few days ago but i just enjoyed this one tonight. i was waiting for RB to come back up but i couldnt hold off any longer. here is my review:

500 ml bottle from an LCBO gift pack. Im completely blown away by this one! pours sexy red with a lingering tan head and sexy lacings all down the glass. aromas are malt forward with great hops in the background. the flavour is rich and full. very subtly complex. malt forward but great useage of hops. a great full bodied session beer with more flavour then many higher abv offerings. this is the best bitter ive ever had by far and i wish it was a year round offering.