Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Burton Porter

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Burton Porter

Post by Bytowner »

Anyone else find this unpleasantly sour? Is that the sulphur in the Burton water or something else? Certainly not my favourite seasonal release of the year.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

I didn't even bother with this one this time. It sucked last year and I was frankly surprised and disappointed that it was included this year. If I recall correctly, it costs more than the Harvey's, right? Ridiculous.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I'm with Jesse on this one after last year's experience. I think President Bush said it best:

"There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

i didnt buy this one either. i was dissapointed in it last year so i figured i wouldnt waste my money this year. im glad to see that i made the right choice.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Huh, I guess I was the only one that missed it last year. Well, I know better for next year!

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Yeah, the Burton Porter is odd with a little sourness and the metalic notes, but I didn't think it was offensive by any means. Not the best of the fall releases, but cetainly not the worst. I actually thought the slight sourness (not the same kind of sourness as a skunky beer) complimented the slightly bitter finish. If anything, the unique flavour made me remember this from last year. I'd only really buy 1 per year, but I'd recommend it to someone who hadn't tried it just for something a little different.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I found the Burton very underwhelming. Of course, I'm used to Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald, which is outstanding.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

sprague11 wrote:I found the Burton very underwhelming. Of course, I'm used to Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald, which is outstanding.
I agree that the Burton isn't a great beer but the Great Lakes is a totally different style, so it's really Apples & Oranges to compare them. Wouldn't you say? :evil: Let's keep this on topic eh :P

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Torontoblue wrote:
sprague11 wrote:I found the Burton very underwhelming. Of course, I'm used to Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald, which is outstanding.
I agree that the Burton isn't a great beer but the Great Lakes is a totally different style, so it's really Apples & Oranges to compare them. Wouldn't you say? :evil: Let's keep this on topic eh :P
Hey, they both say "porter" on the bottle ;)

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

sprague11 wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:
Hey, they both say "porter" on the bottle ;)
And........................................? :P Alexander Keith's says IPA.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Torontoblue wrote:
And........................................? :P Alexander Keith's says IPA.
Hey, Mr Keith was scared to death of hops! We can't help that!;)

Lets just agree that the Burton was not worth the money!

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Bytowner wrote:Anyone else find this unpleasantly sour? Is that the sulphur in the Burton water or something else? Certainly not my favourite seasonal release of the year.
It was a bottle conditioned ale that did not turn out well. Mine was slightly off and the other was a volcano when I opened it...took a pass this time.
Aventinus rules!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

TorontoBlue is calling the BS correctly- a so called 'style' of beer can have a drastic range, almost making the comparisons irrelevant..

I found the Burton this year (my particular bottle anyway!) quite unlike the green-apple-skin flavor I got last year - today's Burton is mushroom-y and earthy as if those green apples had been forgotten in a damp cellar.

Interesting but not quite likable.
In Beerum Veritas

Illuminatus

Post by Illuminatus »

Bobsy wrote:I think President Bush said it best
Huh. I didn't think those words would ever fit in that order.

Steve Beaumont

Post by Steve Beaumont »

The Burton Porter is old school, the way porters used to be when tanks large enough to host a good-sized dinner party in were used to age them. (Really. The brewer Meux once had a tank that would hold 20,000 barrels of beer, and a vat at the Horse Show Brewery which ruptured in 1814 resulted in the reported deaths of 8 people!) The aging was necessary to impart to the beers a sourness reminiscent of the old ales, sometimes known as sour ales, which were an important part of the original blended porter known as three threads.

(I don't know how much of this Ron Pattinson has now debunked, probably a considerable amount, but the sourness is certainly true.)

The Burton unquestionably has had gushing issues in the past -- I haven't yet tried any of the new release -- but in terms of flavour alone, it's a bit of a taste of history. Which is not to say that you should like it, just that the sour flavour is less infection than intent.