Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

St. Peter's IPA

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

sprague11 wrote:FWIW I noticed a few of the gift packs at one of the Markham LCBO's had 2 IPA's and no Ruby's. Guess people have been making some switches.
Probably makes them illegal for sale. Package labelling and ABV are very strict in our Provincial system, this could be the end of civilization.

Good idea, thanks for sharing.
In Beerum Veritas

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

sprague11 wrote:FWIW I noticed a few of the gift packs at one of the Markham LCBO's had 2 IPA's and no Ruby's. Guess people have been making some switches.
Hmm... 6 Gulden Draaks in the Exclusive Belgian beer pack <<cogs whirring>>

Nah...I'm too honest.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Well, it would be shitty thing to do to other customers, AND possibly to the suppliers and importers - you are screwing with people's business or people's beer enjoyment - selfishly gainful, perhaps, but NOT cool!!

Shame on the bottle-switchers!!

(PS Gulden Draak is one of the lower-priced options at BeerBistro, compared with other bottles.)
In Beerum Veritas

Illuminatus

Post by Illuminatus »

Belgian wrote:Well, it would be shitty thing to do to other customers, AND possibly to the suppliers and importers - you are screwing with people's business or people's beer enjoyment - selfishly gainful, perhaps, but NOT cool!!

Shame on the bottle-switchers!!

(PS Gulden Draak is one of the lower-priced options at BeerBistro, compared with other bottles.)
*shudder*

I've had Gulden Draak only once. I bought one of the Belgian variety packs a couple of years ago, and the bottle of Gulden Draak was so wretchedly toxic that I have no clue how it got past quality control. It was like a glass full of methanol.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Piraat and Gulden Draak are quite high ABV beers, and they benefit from a half year's aging and being served slightly cool (just like wines that show their high alcohol.)
In Beerum Veritas

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I received the gift pack for Xmas and am very much enjoying the St Peter's IPA at the moment from the elegant glass. I guess I am a fan of the St Peter's "house flavour", because I find this to be an excellent (British) IPA. I'm a bit puzzled by those who didn't care for it (since I like it so much), but as always it's just a matter of taste I guess. Happy holidays everybody.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

I had to wait until I got the gift pack for Christmas to try this one too. I'm equally puzzled as to why this beer didn't get more love. The hops are indeed sharp, but in my mind, that's what tons of non cascade/chinook hops taste like (ie not an American IPA) and prefectly represent the British style. Full malt profile going down as well and a huge aroma (light spice, lemon, perfumy).

Much better than Deuchars, Green King or any other British style IPA at the LCBO (although it's arguable if those are even true British IPA's). This one totally primed me for what I expect the Grand River IPA to be like, except that the GR version should be fresher and even more well balanced.