Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

MacEwan's Scotch Ale

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

old faithful
Bar Fly

MacEwan's Scotch Ale

Post by old faithful »

This 8% ABV classic strong Scotch ale is tasting better than ever. In the past, while never a bad beer, I thought I could detect use of brewing sugars or other adjunct.

The current version seems all-malt or close. It has a rounded malty and sweet palate edged with good metallic-like hopping.

It has too that smoky-like taste characteristic of the old Scots ales (Caledonian's St. Andrew's that we used to get has it, Belhaven's 80 shilling too). A good rich ale that satisfies and suits the season.

This has been available for as long as I have drinking beer (over 30 years) and by its familiarity tends to be "delaissee" I think amongst the beer buff group, but the current version earns the respect of the cervisophile.

Gary

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Ive always enjoyed McEwans, its a perfect winter warmer and the price point is reasonable. Now if we could get Oscar Blues Old Chub then we'd be laughin. Come to think of it I havent picked up a sixer of McEwans in awhile so thanks for reminding me with this review!

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

This is a beer I still haven't tried. I think Scottish Courage's production of the awful John Smith and Kestrel Super have helped to keep me away, but I think I'll roll the dice on this one now.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Bobsy wrote: Kestrel Super
WOW, you admit on a public forum that you have tried Kestrel Super :P You weren't living on the street at the time were you? :evil:

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Torontoblue wrote:
WOW, you admit on a public forum that you have tried Kestrel Super :P You weren't living on the street at the time were you? :evil:
Give me some credit! It was the drink of choice for the fellow we used to call 'Any Spare Change Man', so I put two and two together to figure out that this could be every bit as bad as Morrison's 'Morrinov' vodka.

Faxe Extra Strong, on the other hand... :wink:

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Bobsy wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:
Give me some credit! It was the drink of choice for the fellow we used to call 'Any Spare Change Man', so I put two and two together to figure out that this could be every bit as bad as Morrison's 'Morrinov' vodka.

Faxe Extra Strong, on the other hand... :wink:
Hee-hee, didn't think you'd stop that low. Faxe was good for running the car in winter time!!!!! I never did try a stores own 'alcohol', never that brave :o

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

It's respectable, but Traquair and Belhaven are far superior.

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

I agree re Traquair but I find Belhaven's Scotch Ale a mite dry for the style - or for my taste, rather. I agree with the comment re John Smith's but the current MacEwan's is really a cut much above.

I wonder how they get the smoky taste (all the Scotch ales mentioned have it). I don't think the malts are kilned on peat but somehow they acquire a characteristic, cured or smoky-like note.

Gary

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The McEwan's Scotch is frequently in the singles basket at LCBO. One may be enough for some of us. :roll:
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Belgian wrote:The McEwan's Scotch is frequently in the singles basket at LCBO. One may be enough for some of us. :roll:

It does end up in the singles bin quite often. Tis a strange thing indeed.

I think there is only one store in London that sells it, and the sales are pretty strong, but I think that alkl the people who drink this stuff happen to be shoppers at that store anyway.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

old faithful wrote:I wonder how they get the smoky taste (all the Scotch ales mentioned have it). I don't think the malts are kilned on peat but somehow they acquire a characteristic, cured or smoky-like note.

Gary
It's the phenolics from the ale yeast they use when fermented at cool temps (55F).