Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

ONT Great Lakes WINTER ALE

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

ONT Great Lakes WINTER ALE

Post by Belgian »

Sorry to derail Pootz' other thread! Here's the non-USA GL Brewery thread...

I found the 2008 Winter Ale wonderfully mellow while at the same time fairly big in flavor - as in good freshly-baked Nurnberger Lebkuchen, the masterful spicebread-style use of subtle mingled flavors (cinnamon, cardamom, clove, ginger, pepper, and dry orange rind?) along with the inviting toffee warmth is downright charming.

I will be buying more of these! It appears US Brewers like Rogue now have a little competition in Ontario (watch out for some killer Grand River bottlings...)
In Beerum Veritas

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

as i sit here sipping this great creation from my snifter i think about how many other people will not purchase this brew and how sorry i feel that they will miss out on this wonderful addition to the festive season. aroma of spice and orange peel, great malt body to support the spice, dangerously easy to drink at 6.2%. ill be back for more of these.

denguy

Post by denguy »

I bought some last night--haven't cracked one open yet, though. But tonight's the night.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Grabbed a few today - will enjoy one over the weekend and cellar a couple.

denguy

Post by denguy »

sprague11 wrote:Grabbed a few today - will enjoy one over the weekend and cellar a couple.
For how long should/could you cellar something like this?

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

sprague11 wrote:For how long should/could you cellar something like this?
Great Lakes was (is?) selling 2007 vintage bottles, so I'm sure that if they deem the beer worthy to drink after a year, then that's a decent amount of time. I wouldn't leave it much longer than that, though - especially if cellaring conditions are not optimal - seeing as the beer is relatively low in ABV and is not bottle-conditioned.

I haven't tried the '07 vintage, but I really can't see what it would gain from cellaring. If there is any effect at all, it would likely be a softening/further integration of the spices.

I like it fresh, though, with the spices still nicely balanced, but upfront.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I don't really see how this beer can improve with age, as the spices are so vibrant and upfront in the fresh version. I'd really hate to have those mellow out because the spices are the reason I buy this beer.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

IMLE most beers are best drunk immediately and the whole 'beer aging' thing is a bit of an affectation.
In Beerum Veritas

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

I have never been one for cellaring. Mostly I don't have the self control but I also do not have much space in the apartment. I picked up a few 2007 and a few 2008 bottles from the brewery last week ( how nice that they will do the cellaring for us ). I don't know how much is attributed to recipe changes or differences in the tastes of ingredients from year to year but the 2007 was much nicer than the 2008. Both had lots of rbust spicy flavours but the '07 was softer and mellower. This year's seemed to slap me in the face with the spicy where the aged version was much softer and to me more pleasent.

Queef

Post by Queef »

had one today. was great. can't imagine cellaring it for any reason really.
it's beer o'clock.

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

Tried a 2009 today, and it was pretty tasty. Had a bit of a weird smell at first which went away.

I'd like to try this beside a bottle of the 2008 I have downstairs, but there's no way I'm drinking two of these in one sitting.

bartle

Post by bartle »

I had it on tap and thought it was very tasty. Though, pretty syrupy. could just have been the tap or my buds, or a dusty glass. I'd like to see how the bottles turn out.
enjoi

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

I tried one of these and I thought it was just ok. I think I'm not a huge fan of the style. The only other Winter Ale I had was from Big Rock (on tap at Kick Off in Waterloo on the weekend) and I liked it a bit better. I blame myself more then the beer though.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

I quite like this one, although I find the cinnamon a tad too upfront, and carbonation a touch aggressive. I prefer it from the bottle, where I can decant and allow it to breathe a bit.

OT, and totally trivial, but did anyone else notice the sugar content of the St. Peter's Winter Ale on the LCBO site? Higher than ST Creme Brulee (and even a couple Ice Wines)? Whoa...

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

velovampire wrote:
OT, and totally trivial, but did anyone else notice the sugar content of the St. Peter's Winter Ale on the LCBO site? Higher than ST Creme Brulee (and even a couple Ice Wines)? Whoa...
The Surgeon General on Bartowel, cool!
In Beerum Veritas