Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Stonehammer Oatmeal Coffee Stout

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Matt Arnold

Stonehammer Oatmeal Coffee Stout

Post by Matt Arnold »

That's right, Stonehammer is doing a seasonal! George is at it again, using coffee from Planet Bean right here in Guelph. Had my first taste today just out of the fermenter. Pretty yummy - can't wait to see what finishing and aging will do to this one. I'll keep everybody updated on where you can expect to find it in your area.

Cheers,

Matt
Brewery Representative
F&M Stonehammer Brewery
Guelph, Ontario
519-824-1194

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Sounds excellent - I'm looking forward to this arriving in Toronto!

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

George is always good for a brew.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Hopefully it'll make its way down to London. Guelph is only an hour away, so not too far in terms of dropping some off. Now if we can only find a bar that will take it.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Matt Arnold

Post by Matt Arnold »

Rich at the King Eddy in Ilderton will most likely be taking a keg. I'll keep everybody posted.

Cheers,

Matt
Brewery Representative
F&M Stonehammer Brewery
Guelph, Ontario
519-824-1194

Matt Arnold

Post by Matt Arnold »

New news on the Stout. It didn't ferment down as much as George wanted it to so we end up with a stout right around the 5 percent mark. Gotta tell you, it's heaven in a glass.

Look for it at Volo, C'est What, the Cloak and Dagger, Victory, and the Rebel House.

If you live in Georgetown, the Shepherd's Crook will have it on, and the Stinking Rose in Campbleford
Brewery Representative
F&M Stonehammer Brewery
Guelph, Ontario
519-824-1194

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

King Eddy?
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

SH Pilsner is really nice on draught. Good news!!
In Beerum Veritas

Matt Arnold

Post by Matt Arnold »

Definitely at the King Eddy. Next time I am able to get down to see Rich. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,

Matt
Brewery Representative
F&M Stonehammer Brewery
Guelph, Ontario
519-824-1194

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Matt Arnold wrote:Definitely at the King Eddy. Next time I am able to get down to see Rich. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,

Matt

Please do. I go to the King Eddy often, but it will be more often if this beer is on, and for a limited time.

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

I look forward to trying this. Coffee can enhance a beer and stout seems a natural for the treatment.

This extract from a 1977 interview with the late (American author) Kurt Vonnegut may be of interest to some, it is from a Paris Review piece of that year:

"INTERVIEWER
Which member of your family had the most influence on you as a writer?

VONNEGUT
My mother, I guess. Edith Lieber Vonnegut. After our family lost almost all of its money in the Great Depression, my mother thought she might make a new fortune by writing for the slick magazines. She took short-story courses at night. She studied magazines the way gamblers study racing forms.

INTERVIEWER
She'd been rich at one time?

VONNEGUT
My father, an architect of modest means, married one of the richest girls in town. It was a brewing fortune based on Lieber Lager Beer and then Gold Medal Beer. Lieber Lager became Gold Medal after winning a prize at some Paris exposition.

INTERVIEWER
It must have been a very good beer.

VONNEGUT
Long before my time. I never tasted any. It had a secret ingredient, I know. My grandfather and his brewmaster wouldn't let anybody watch while they put it in.

INTERVIEWER
Do you know what it was?

VONNEGUT
Coffee. "

Gary

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush »

Anyone seen this around? Aside from the Victory Fest?

Matt Arnold

Post by Matt Arnold »

Rich had it on at the King Eddy in Ilderton. It is also on cask at C'est What. They should still have some left.
Brewery Representative
F&M Stonehammer Brewery
Guelph, Ontario
519-824-1194

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Ill have to make my way out to the King Eddy tomorrow night to try it then. Thanks for the heads up!

Hamilton Brian

Post by Hamilton Brian »

Shame it won't appear that the Winking Judge.