Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Grand River Curmudgeon IPA

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

bufordsbest

Post by bufordsbest »

had this again but on cask at c'est what. wow, the cask version was so complex and hops really came through a lot better than the bottled version even though it was still nicely balanced.

a fantastic treat.

notdan

Post by notdan »

bufordsbest wrote:had this again but on cask at c'est what. wow, the cask version was so complex and hops really came through a lot better than the bottled version even though it was still nicely balanced.

a fantastic treat.
Damn, I was close to trying this at C'est What this past Tuesday but the bartender was mistaken about it being tapped. Sad I missed out.

Inkling

Post by Inkling »

It's arrived in Ottawa and I'm very impressed. I wish we could have steady year-round supply of both this one and Beau's Beaver River. Two great beers I'm enjoying at the moment.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I had one of these last week... way more finishing hops than previous years, and it didn't have quite the same bitter punch.

I like it, and I think many IPA drinkers would too.

King Edward

Post by King Edward »

I've had a cask of this in the cellar for 6 weeks to put some age on it. We tapped it for the weekend, and boy does it age well. The floral notes come further forward and there are more noticable biscuit tones. And it gets even smoother. Just delightful...........

Rich
www.thekingedward.com
Real food, real beer, real friendly!

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

had my last bottle of this last night...amazing stuff...I need to get me more of this stat!

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

Fresh 2013 stuff came out today... thoughts? I think its a great version ..hoppier than previous versions. According to Rob, Pilgrim and Fuggles if i recall correctly.

Just picked some up at Uptown LCBO in Waterloo.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

NRman wrote:Fresh 2013 stuff came out today... thoughts? I think its a great version ..hoppier than previous versions. According to Rob, Pilgrim and Fuggles if i recall correctly.

Just picked some up at Uptown LCBO in Waterloo.
Always look forward to it - hopefully it makes its way out here. Between this and Pompous Ass in cans we're getting lots of great English-style ales.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

Sadly I wasn't a fan of the 2013 batch. I normally drink a lot of Curmudgeon but what I had at the GR tasting was likely the last I'll have of the year. Just not to my taste - even for an English IPA.
A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Cale wrote:Sadly I wasn't a fan of the 2013 batch. I normally drink a lot of Curmudgeon but what I had at the GR tasting was likely the last I'll have of the year. Just not to my taste - even for an English IPA.
how is it different that past years?

my fav was the first ever batch, is was pretty much a blond beer back then, with all english hops, the last few years is been a little crystal malt heavy for me but ive still enjoyed it

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

They've gone back to a lighter malt profile and changed up the hop varieties. Lower IBUs. It's not a poorly made beer or anything, but there's something about it that rubs me the wrong way - maybe it's the Pilgrim hops.
A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I'm having one now, brewed March 14, and it is great. Gorgeous, in balance, English IPA. I was lucky enough to have a pint of the even better Executioners at the Bent Elbow yesterday. This comes close but is not quite as good, to my taste.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

This brewery is a national treasure, it's so weird they can't nail one superior IPA and one Imperial Stout many of us can agree on.

But for all their other strengths, who honestly cares? The geniuses at GR make truly amazing lagers, pumpkin beer, and session ale.

Might need to swing by there soon for some Mill Race.
In Beerum Veritas

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

The exceptionally hard water, I have heard, detracts from their IPA in some eyes (but not mine).

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Had dog stalker and a curmudgeon yesterday. The dog stalker was awesome, the curmudgeon was a butter bomb.